No Brake Light

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tommyred

No Brake Light

Post by tommyred »

Looking for a little help for my new 2008 Pamplona.

The scooter starts, directionals work, the rear lights comes on, but nothing when I hit the brakes. I know it isn't the fuse, cause she starts right up. I just bought it yesterday, and the guy said it worked last week. But of course he'd say that.

Loose connection somewhere is my educated guess, but just checking if it happened to anyone else?

Thanx
The Reverend Wage
Ordained Dudeist Priest ☯�
Abide!
easy

Post by easy »

Did you check both front and back brakes?
what did you trade the day for?
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

Few different things can happen.

Your brake light switch(es) failed at handlebars, check each separately as mentioned above.

One (or both) of your handlebar switches are tilted forward/backward not allowing your brake lever(s) to return to their resting position making the brake light always stay on so there is no change when using brakes/when not using brakes.

Loose connection.
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

easy wrote:Did you check both front and back brakes?
Yeah, and they both work fine. I think I'm gonna take off the front, and check out the post below you.
Thanx
The Reverend Wage
Abide!
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

iamryan25 wrote:Few different things can happen.
Your brake light switch(es) failed at handlebars, check each separately as mentioned above.
One (or both) of your handlebar switches are tilted forward/backward not allowing your brake lever(s) to return to their resting position making the brake light always stay on so there is no change when using brakes/when not using brakes
Loose connection.
Now that you mention it, the right brake lever is a little sticky, and the back light is pretty friggin' bright for a regular taillight. I'll take off the cover and see if anything got tweaked or stuck on, like you said.
Thanx
The Reverend Wage
Abide!
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

I've seen the mirrors get pushed forward rotating the entire switch housing forward so that the brake lever actually hits the plastic lower handlebar cover.

Look from the side with the cover on first, but it could also be a sticky electric light switch.

Prob just need to tighten up the screws on the handlebar switch if it came loose or rotated forward.

Also, the right brake will feel different due to it being hydraulic with a disc, compared left cable drum brake. Don't let that difference confuse ya.

Best wishes!
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

I went out to look at it, and got too nervous to take it apart, cause I couldn't see anything off. I'll have at it in the AM. Bring a good flashlight and some WD40. It has been sitting for a bit.
The Reverend Wage
Abide!
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

With the ignition on and the engine not running, the brake/tail light should only turn on with the application of the brakes.

(right?)
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

Correctamundo. Everything is fine except the sticky brake lever, so I think the culprit is there somewhere.

I'll post when I find out what it is, and what the remedy will be. Hopefully it doesn't run me a couple hun'erd, with my luck
The Reverend Wage
Abide!