4t exhaust dillemmachine

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

xTomBx

4t exhaust dillemmachine

Post by xTomBx »

My exhaust broke off a couple weeks ago. :(

I think my scooter is still under warrantly, but my closest dealer is now 40+ miles away, and I have no easy way to haul my scoot there.
Im pretty handy, and I know I can change an exhaust, but is it totally unlikely that Genuinie would send me an exhaust directly? Should I jjust step up and get the Sito and do it myself? I dont really have the $$ to spend, especially if the part is under warrenty.
Im not crazy about Argyle being tied up in a shop for at least a month, as that seems to be a fair average for warranty repairs... thoughts, opinions, advice?
Attachments
exhaust-1.jpg
exhaust-1.jpg (55.24 KiB) Viewed 2054 times
xTomBx

Post by xTomBx »

holy huge pic, sorry about that!
Not sure how to fix on my phone...
Last edited by xTomBx on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maximus53

Post by Maximus53 »

Call dealer and ask? Use free roadside assistance?
sippin.fnordies

Post by sippin.fnordies »

When my exhaust broke I called the dealer and they ordered the part under warranty.
I picked it up and installed it myself.
Make sure they order the gasket with the muffler, and make sure you get the old gasket out before you put in the new one.
Mine was pretty wedged up in there, took a little doing to get it out. Good luck!

edit: also that picture is HUGE. :shock:
xTomBx

Post by xTomBx »

I asked the dealer (who I haven't used before, my local dealer is no longer Genuine, apparently) and was told "warranty work needs to be there at the shop" so, I don't know.

What if I contact Genuine directly?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The dealer generally has to do an installation for a warranty repair. There's no other way for them to guarantee the work that's done and that the replacement is properly installed.

Roadside Assistance should be able to tow your scoot to the shop, though. That's what it's for!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

xTomBx wrote:holy huge pic, sorry about that!
Not wure how to fix on my phone...
I fixed it. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
xTomBx

Post by xTomBx »

Thanks Eric, does roadside assistance still work if the shop is 45-50 miles away now though?
The did mention that they do "pick up" and quoted a pretty exorbitant price...
Goldfishpimp

Post by Goldfishpimp »

I don't think that it does...
"If you ever run out of gas, get a flat tire, or need a jump start while out on your Genuine Scooter, we want you to have the peace of mind....."
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

call them and find out, I have gotten some decently long tows from them. It doesn't hurt to also have your own towing coverage with your insurance.
xTomBx

Post by xTomBx »

Roadside America to the rescue!
As of yesterday Argyle was picked up by flatbed and taken to the nearest dealer (45 miles away). The scoot is now safely awaiting new exhaust there.
Thanks for the kind reminder(s) about roadside assistance.
xTomBx

Post by xTomBx »

UPDATE

Argyle was repaired within 2 days and is already back in my posession.
Life is good!

As a side note- turns out the selling dealer (who is no longer a franchise) never registered my warranty when we bought Argyle about 20 months ago. New dealership took care of me though. I guess that explains why I never got the "goodie pack" from Genuine...
phattirepilot

Post by phattirepilot »

sippin.fnordies wrote:.
... and make sure you get the old gasket out before you put in the new one.
Mine was pretty wedged up in there, took a little doing to get it out. Good luck!
:idea: crap... i just installed the new Sito Plus and was wondering why the header part is so far to the end of the mounting bolts. The old washer is probably still wedged way up there. thanks sippin
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

phattirepilot wrote:
sippin.fnordies wrote:.
... and make sure you get the old gasket out before you put in the new one.
:idea: crap... i just installed the new Sito Plus and was wondering why the header part is so far to the end of the mounting bolts. The old washer is probably still wedged way up there. thanks sippin
Glad I saw this post. Looks like I'll be re-installing mine tonight as well :)