(NSR) Bought me a motorcycle

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

chloefpuff

(NSR) Bought me a motorcycle

Post by chloefpuff »

And here it is! 2009 Suzuki S40 Boulevard.
Attachments
Suzuki.JPG
Suzuki.JPG (45.01 KiB) Viewed 2803 times
so tough, so pink
Keys

Post by Keys »

Good choice. That's been near the top of my list for years...just haven't had the expendable income.
"Life without music would Bb"
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I love the S40. I've had one down at a friend's winter place in Florida the last couple of years. A lot of bike for the money and a fun ride. Enjoy yours!
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Love to hear your thoughts over time.
This is on my short list along with a Versys and a couple others. The S40's can be had for a good price and I like the idea of a single cylinder 650.
Keep us informed and congrats!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Milt

Post by Milt »

Good starter bike, easy to ride and has good manners in traffic. Its primary limitation is a shortage of power/roll-on acceleration at higher speeds. That is only really a problem on the freeway, which is not as enjoyable as the back roads, anyway - 'the road less traveled' and all that...

As always, keep the shiny side up.
Freedom is a package deal
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

worst pic of someones new bike i have ever seen! :hit: :P
Riding is riding
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

^Gee, thanks!
so tough, so pink
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

lol just kidding, chloe. thats what the little tongue is there to show :P

congrats, of course. the S40 is an awesome cruiser. sure you will enjoy it immensely. AND....some sexier pics would be choice. when you get a chance. its a great color, btw. looks sweet :)

enjoy it ALL you can :helmet:
Riding is riding
Rob

Post by Rob »

Nice bike .... congrats!

Time for a road trip.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

JHScoot wrote:lol just kidding, chloe. thats what the little tongue is there to show :P

congrats, of course. the S40 is an awesome cruiser. sure you will enjoy it immensely. AND....some sexier pics would be choice. when you get a chance. its a great color, btw. looks sweet :)

I took that pic quick with my phone at the dealership. Sorry, that's the best I can do until I bring it home.
so tough, so pink
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

chloefpuff wrote:
JHScoot wrote:lol just kidding, chloe. thats what the little tongue is there to show :P

I took that pic quick with my phone at the dealership. Sorry, that's the best I can do until I bring it home.
Congrats on the sweet thumper! The photo is fine! Don't forget to give us your first "real" ride report!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

BuddyRaton wrote:
chloefpuff wrote:

Congrats on the sweet thumper! The photo is fine! Don't forget to give us your first "real" ride report!
is that the best your phone can do? why, look what i snapped with MY phone just last week by chance

Riding is riding
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I'd like one but if I buy a MC it's going to be a twin :P.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

skully93 wrote:I'd like one but if I buy a MC it's going to be a twin :P.
Why is that? What do you perceive is the difference between a twin and a single in terms of performance?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

JHScoot wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:
chloefpuff wrote: I took that pic quick with my phone at the dealership. Sorry, that's the best I can do until I bring it home.
is that the best your phone can do? why, look what i snapped with MY phone just last week by chance

WOW...that really is a sharp red X! :D
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
TomCat

Post by TomCat »

Nice bike, congrats!!!
And, of course, ride safe.
Other ride--- Lifted '08 Suzuki SX4 AWD

"Quotes on the Internet cannot always be considered as factual" ------- Abraham Lincoln
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

RoaringTodd wrote:
Why is that? What do you perceive is the difference between a twin and a single in terms of performance?
I am interested to know this as well.
so tough, so pink
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

BuddyRaton wrote:
JHScoot wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote: Congrats on the sweet thumper! The photo is fine! Don't forget to give us your first "real" ride report!

WOW...that really is a sharp red X! :D
:cry:
Riding is riding
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

chloefpuff wrote:
RoaringTodd wrote:
I am interested to know this as well.
It really isn't that simple IMO - twins better than singles,,,and presumably triples better than twins :wink: . My regular ride is a BV350. Also a single and you really couldn't ask much more of that motor in terms of performance. Now, the 650 Suzuki is certainly not built for high speed. The engine has lots of torque and pulls hard at low to medium speeds, exactly as you would expect of a "thumper". The wide power band of the S40 engine is precisely what makes it an easy and fun bike to ride. Compare that to the narrow power band and high rpm peak of most sport bikes, for example. The interesting thing about the S40 is that it is much smoother and better mannered than the older British "thumpers" such as the AJS, BSA, and orginal Royal Enfield. It is really more the ride you are after, rather than how many cylinders you have down there. And the S40 IS a fun ride.
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

Just look at all you can do with it........
http://rycamotors.com/

The scrambler is pretty cool.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

So, Chloe...

...how's it going on that MC? Any issues so far? You got a big ol' silly perma-grin on your face? :lol:
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Tocsik wrote:So, Chloe...

...how's it going on that MC? Any issues so far? You got a big ol' silly perma-grin on your face? :lol:
Probably to busy riding to log on!
www.teamscootertrash.com

Beamster

Post by Beamster »

Dooglas wrote:It really isn't that simple IMO - twins better than singles,,,and presumably triples better than twins :wink:
Indeed the triples are better than twins.
We have one of each in the garage.
The triple has the torque of a twin but revs and makes the hp of a four.
Three pistons make for a balanced smooth runner too.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Beamster wrote:
Dooglas wrote:It really isn't that simple IMO - twins better than singles,,,and presumably triples better than twins :wink:
Indeed the triples are better than twins.
We have one of each in the garage.
The triple has the torque of a twin but revs and makes the hp of a four.
Three pistons make for a balanced smooth runner too.
My neighbor's son has a Triumph Speed Triple and he's amazed by the thing. He's owned a GXR and a liter bike but says the triple is much better.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Then there are all those 6 cylinder Honda Goldwings :wink: . They have their place, but bigger is not always better. (I presume that is why there is not a 3-cylinder Vespa PX)
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

Dooglas wrote:Then there are all those 6 cylinder Honda Goldwings :wink: . They have their place, but bigger is not always better. (I presume that is why there is not a 3-cylinder Vespa PX)
Honda isn't close to the biggest.

http://triumphrocket.com/
The Rocket Three has the largest production motorcycle engine made.
Larger than your GTI.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Update: I find this quite a bit harder than scooting. I'm having trouble coordinating all the motorcycle specific functions, to the detriment of the generic riding skills.

For instance, I'm concentrating so hard working the clutch and shifting that I'm not looking where I want to go .

Actually I looked where I didn't want to go and wiped out. Guess Ill change the name of the thread to "Got Me Some Road Rash"
so tough, so pink
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Beamster wrote:Honda isn't close to the biggest.
You seem to be missing my point. There isn't a goodness scale for motorcycles that goes from smallest displacement to largest, or single cylinder to 12 cylinder. There are any number of sweet spots where someone has done it just right.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

chloefpuff wrote:Update: I find this quite a bit harder than scooting. I'm having trouble coordinating all the motorcycle specific functions, to the detriment of the generic riding skills.

For instance, I'm concentrating so hard working the clutch and shifting that I'm not looking where I want to go .

Actually I looked where I didn't want to go and wiped out. Guess Ill change the name of the thread to "Got Me Some Road Rash"
Oh no!!! So sorry to hear. It's like watching your feet when you're dancing. You have to practice until you catch the zen of it, then it's amazing, but until then... Again, sorry to hear that you caught a case of road rash. I hope you and your new bike aren't too dinged up and you'll be back out there soon. :(
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

chloefpuff wrote:Actually I looked where I didn't want to go and wiped out. Guess Ill change the name of the thread to "Got Me Some Road Rash"
Yikes, chloepuff. Hope not too much harm was done to you or the bike. :(
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Aw man! That's not the update I wanted to hear :cry: .
Hope you heal up quick and your bike isn't too scarred either.

So sorry.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i don't understand having never rode an MC for long. is shifting that difficult / distracting for even an expereinced rider? meaning scooter rider. i mean scooters and MC's are both bikes. so whats up with the shifting problems?

i don't want any of that happening to me

sorry to hear, 'puff. get well soon!! :D
Riding is riding
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

JHScoot wrote:i don't understand having never rode an MC for long. is shifting that difficult / distracting for even an expereinced rider? meaning scooter rider. i mean scooters and MC's are both bikes. so whats up with the shifting problems?
It isn't really scooters versus motorcycles. You could say the same thing about a Stella vs. a Buddy. I have been riding both scooters and motorcycles for a very long time :wink: , so it doesn't seem distracting to me. Learning one set of hand and foot controls vs. another can certainly be distracting to anyone at first. I find the biggest deal to be switching back and forth between two hand brakes and a right hand/right foot system. Braking tends to be instinctive and when you grab a handleful of brake, you don't want it to be something else.
amyrob56

Post by amyrob56 »

Been there done that! Its not just the shifting, its the weight and balance of the MC - mine is over 500lbs and I am five foot nothing, balls of the feet rather than full foot contact, blinkers on and off while downshifting and upshifting and turning the corner at the same time!!

Comes with practice. I still stop every half hour or so on the MC just to collect myself and take a few deep breaths! It is a much bigger mental challenge that scooting!

I recall practicing in a parking lot early on. Drove up to hubby, grinned and said "I think I got this!" Then I slowly tipped over. I was on the downside of a slight incline and my foot slid - no way to recover and push that shadow back up....just rode her softly down to the pavement... :?