Stella Inner Lever Arm Failure

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mikeyb

Stella Inner Lever Arm Failure

Post by mikeyb »

Clutch Inner Lever Arm Issues

I have a 2012 stella 4T. My clutch failed last week and I thought I had a broken clutch cable. After inspecting the cable I discovered that it is in good order, no fraying. The lever at the end of the cable is moving properly so I believe that the small inner lever is broken. After opening the clutch cover, my suspicions were correct and the inner clutch lever arm has failed. The bike has less than 2000 miles on it and I was wondering if this is a common problem. Searching the various forums online for large frame vespa type bikes I have found a few issues with the inner lever but most seem to be about the clutch cable itself.

Looking at the replacement parts available, I was wondering if there is such a thing as an upgraded part or are they all the same. I know for a fact that there is more than one manufacturer for these parts as evidenced by the pics below. I was wondering if one might be stronger than the other? Looking at these pics, there seems to be a noticeable difference between a couple of these images and my opinion is that the lever offered by SIP looks like a better quality part and possibly stronger while the others looks just like the one that broke (original replacement part). The smaller blurry pic is what scooterworks offers. I thought I had even seen a blue anodized one as part of a performance clutch upgrade somewhere.........

Please offer your experience, suggestions, pictures, etc..... Has anyone else had a broken inner lever? Has anyone upgraded this part? Is there such a thing?

Please share.

Thanks,

Mike
Attachments
sip-gkn.jpg
sip-gkn.jpg (29.27 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
scooterworks-83806.jpg
scooterworks-83806.jpg (46.08 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
21_inner_clutch_lever_083806.jpg
21_inner_clutch_lever_083806.jpg (49.73 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
Maximus53

Post by Maximus53 »

On my previous 4T stella I broke 3 of those in a 2 month period. The dealer could not explain why it was happening. I ended up getting a new Stella and have not had the same problem.

Someone suggested to me once that it might be due to too tight of a clutch cable which would put constant stress on that part?
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

spring of last year, same part failed on my 2010 Stella..... Fixed under warranty....
Good luck...
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
mikeyb

Post by mikeyb »

Talked with Genuine Scooters Tech guys and they are saying this is a very strong part and does not break often? ...... It is under warranty but if this is a part that breaks all the time then I would really like to find an upgrade.....

Mike
mikeyb

Post by mikeyb »

Maximus53, interesting concept about the cable being too tight? I would have thought it might have been more about the springs in the clutch being too heavy or the lever arm being too weak....... How would the cable adjustment play out causing too much pressure. If the cable was too tight, wouldn't that cause the clutch to slip ?

By the way, found several other stella / star owners who have had the same issue. Here is what my lever arm looks like......

This pic is actually of another guys scoot lever arm. I am starting to think that this problem is common?
Attachments
rsz_broken-lever-arm.jpg
rsz_broken-lever-arm.jpg (62.52 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

If the clutch cable has inadequate free play the lever (that breaks) will bang the throwout bearing with every bump.....this because the cable pulls as the rear suspension compresses.......lack of play will also shorten the cables service life.

Rob
mikeyb

Post by mikeyb »

Thanks for the comments Rob. My cable is in good order with no signs of stress or wear, just the broken lever that pushes down on the brass plunger. So, when adjusting the cable, should there be a little play in the action of the Clutch.......... Meaning that when you pull in the clutch, the first little bit of pull won't engage yet?
mikeyb

Post by mikeyb »

Sorry, I mispoke. I said:
Meaning that when you pull in the clutch, the first little bit of pull won't engage yet?
When I should have said, when you pull in the clutch, the first little bit of pull won't DIS-ENGAGE yet?

Sorry for the confusion.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

mikeyb wrote:Sorry, I mispoke. I said:
Meaning that when you pull in the clutch, the first little bit of pull won't engage yet?
When I should have said, when you pull in the clutch, the first little bit of pull won't DIS-ENGAGE yet?

Sorry for the confusion.
There is a free play (I call it slop) spec.
However, I set the play as about the first 1/8 to 1/4" at the ball end of the lever has no resistance (free play)
As long as it does not feel like it wants to creep when put in gear, the free play is acceptable.
BTW....check free play with the bars full left, and then full right....the free play will change, or become more turned one way, less the other.
Correctly set free play will be just short of zero in one direction.....thats where you want it set.

As an aside, this also applies to the throttle cable.....same left/ight sequence.....just about zero in one direction will have it spot on when centered.

Lastly, a bit of slop is needed at the shift bellcrank......remove the cover and watch the cables as you apply some twist pressure up and down.
You will see one cable loosen where it touches the cable guide if enouph free play exists.
Too tight will stress those cables as well and because the bellcrank is being pulled so hard by the cables it often takes more wrist to shift it.

Rob
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Keep a little free play in the cable, as others have mentioned. Also, replace that AND the brass plunger underneath. The brass piece is the one designed to wear out. I usually get Italian ones from Scoot Mercato or SIP. They seem to wear a little better. The part you broke is not a common part to see broken. It happens, but not often.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
mikeyb

Post by mikeyb »

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions guys. Just an update. My scoot is still in warranty (6 months left) so the dealer did the work. I have a pic of the Stella broken inner lever arm and it is broken in the exact same spot as the others I have seen online.
Now that I have the bike back, I have been paying attention to what point the clutch engages and dis-engages. There is NO play when I pull the clutch in. If I pull the lever in just a tiny bit the clutch will begin to slip.
On the other side, letting the clutch out, I can let out about 25% before the clutch begins to engage.
I would be interested in hearing where the clutch engages and dis-engages on others bikes..........

I will assume that the inner lever is barely a mm away from pushing the brass cap inward releasing the clutch.
Attachments
Stella Inner Lever Arm
Stella Inner Lever Arm
IMG_1236.jpg (167.24 KiB) Viewed 1079 times