Test rode Italian vs Blur. Italian much better balanced. ??

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

masssheltie

Test rode Italian vs Blur. Italian much better balanced. ??

Post by masssheltie »

To make a long story short, I rode a scooter back in 2006, and had a blast exploring the island of Bermuda. Spent some serious time evaluating bikes, including the BV 250, 500, Vespa 250 and the Blur. Liked the idea of buying Asian, but found after riding all four, that the Italian bikes were incredibly balanced.

What I mean is that if you were riding at very slow speeds, the bike felt as if you were in complete control. You could turn at slow speeds, and the bike stayed perfectly upright. The Blur felt as if it was going to tip or wobble, like a bicycle going too slow to stay upright.

Anyway, I bought a dual sport motorcycle (Kawasaki KLR650) instead of a scooter, and hated it. I hated shifting, hated the high seat height, and hated the weight.

Sold it, and am back looking at scoots.

I've not ridden a Blur 220 yet, nor have I evaluated the latest BVs or Vespas, but can anyone intelligently explain why the Italian bikes felt so awesome?

Thanks
Stan
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

I don't know what to tell you but the Blur has a fantastic suspension on it. Also, the design has the gas tank at the lowest point for a better center of gravity. That being said it is fairly heavy but most scoots are relative to a power/weight ratio thing especially considering when a 100hp motorcycle only weighs in 100lbs more or so than a Blur. I haven't ridden a "modern" Italian bike so I can't compare though. Obviously, vintage vespas all have the engine on one side which is a unique riding experience in itself. Good luck on your search.
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

I think you're experiencing the difference between scoots that are designed for cruising vs. one that's designed for performance. Kinda' like wondering why a Formula 1 car doesn't ride as smooth as a Cadillac. I suspect Blur steering geometry has been optimized for quicker, higher speed maneuvers.

~SM
karl utrecht

Why Italian Scoters Better Balanced than Taiwanese?

Post by karl utrecht »

I have a Blur 220i...I also have a Vespa GTS300S and a Piaggio MP3 500. In my opinion, the Blur is a great scooter, just in a slightly different manner than the Vespa or Piaggio.

Whereas the Vespa and Piaggio are designed for riding several hundred miles on a trip, the Blur 220i is designed for much shorter distances...maybe 20 - 30 miles, then stop and give the back and other muscles a rest! But, during those 20 - 30 miles it is a real thrill! On the road, the Blur 220i is as good as, or better, than the Vespa in holding a straight line. The brakes are much better, as is the rear suspension...for the aforementioned shorter trips. The steering geometry is set up different on the Blur 220i, as it turns much quicker than either the Vespa or Piaggio.

All in all, I'm not sure the Blur 220i is deficient in any aspect, except for the duration of the trips to be taken.

Good luck!

karlu las cruces, nm
Karlu
Las Cruces, NM
masssheltie

Post by masssheltie »

So kind of like the difference between a crotch rocket and a Goldwing?