tach needle sticking problem? FIXED

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

relenger

tach needle sticking problem? FIXED

Post by relenger »

Hey guys, I'm wondering who is all having issues with there tach needle sticking?
Mine only sticks when its is in the sun. If its in the shade it is fine. If it calibrates on start up it is fine.

I think I might see the issue here. If you look at this picture around the bottom of the needle/pin you will notice the needle rubs on the face of it. I don't think it rubs when its cool but the sun heats it up and it warps just enough to hit the needle? Any thoughts?

Last edited by relenger on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chickdr

Re: tach needle sticking problem?

Post by chickdr »

relenger wrote:Hey guys, I'm wondering who is all having issues with there tach needle sticking?
Mine only sticks when its is in the sun. If its in the shade it is fine. If it calibrates on start up it is fine.

I think I might see the issue here. If you look at this picture around the bottom of the needle/pin you will notice the needle rubs on the face of it. I don't think it rubs when its cool but the sun heats it up and it warps just enough to hit the needle? Any thoughts?
Should be under warranty. My tach started messing up as soon as I left the dealer with 10 miles on it and they swapped it out on the spot. Yours should be replaced for free as well.
relenger

Re: tach needle sticking problem?

Post by relenger »

chickdr wrote:
relenger wrote:Hey guys, I'm wondering who is all having issues with there tach needle sticking?

Should be under warranty. My tach started messing up as soon as I left the dealer with 10 miles on it and they swapped it out on the spot. Yours should be replaced for free as well.

I got mine used😢
Rush

Post by Rush »

Yep I have that problem from time to time - in the sun. Tach serves very little purpose outside of aesthetics on the Blur. To replace it under the warranty results in a color mismatch (see link below) that to me outweighted the benefit.

Details-

viewtopic.php?t=19444&highlight=replacement
relenger

Post by relenger »

Rush wrote:Yep I have that problem from time to time - in the sun. Tach serves very little purpose outside of aesthetics on the Blur. To replace it under the warranty results in a color mismatch (see link below) that to me outweighted the benefit.

Details-

viewtopic.php?t=19444&highlight=replacement
You can swap bezel

relenger

Post by relenger »

I think I found the issue. I don't recommend taking this apart. I have no warranty soooo.... on to the pics.

The needle rubbing

The cause

The face is a sticker. I peeled up the edge and made the holes bigger. I then used a screw driver to apply pressure around the needle on the face of it. Something popped and the sticker is now flat and is not rubbing.

Now for random pics

Cant change light color

relenger

Post by relenger »

My new background/wallpapers!

Rush

Post by Rush »

Thanks for the wealth of information and pics! MythBusters: The Blurstigation Episode
relenger

Post by relenger »

Yesterday & today was hot in the sun. I tested the tachometer and everything seems to be working perfect. I do believe this was the fix.

Too everyone who has a messed up tach. Please check and see if there is signs of the needle rubbing on the face. Mine was near the middle, bottom side. Anyone?
relenger

Post by relenger »

It has been hot and everything is still working perfect. I believe this IS the fix
relenger

Post by relenger »

relenger wrote:It has been hot and everything is still working perfect. I believe this IS the fix
So far it is still working. I do believe this is the fix. Hopefully someone will find this usefull