Where is the air filter on the 4T?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

desmolicious

Where is the air filter on the 4T?

Post by desmolicious »

Ok, more to the point, how do you access it? Do you go in through the left side, after removing the spare tyre etc?
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Yes, you have to get at it from the left side, behind the rear wheel.

This Genuine dealer prep video discusses it:

http://vimeo.com/20618680
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Thanks Dave!
gilbee

Post by gilbee »

Silver Streak wrote:Yes, you have to get at it from the left side, behind the rear wheel.

The video just tells you where it is is there. Is there any trick to taking it off?
my gas milage has reduced to about 60 mpg where it used to be around 110 or so. i just changed my oil, so i'm assuming cleaning the filter would bring my MPG up.
what do you guys think?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

gilbee wrote:
Silver Streak wrote:Yes, you have to get at it from the left side, behind the rear wheel.

The video just tells you where it is is there. Is there any trick to taking it off?
my gas milage has reduced to about 60 mpg where it used to be around 110 or so. i just changed my oil, so i'm assuming cleaning the filter would bring my MPG up.
what do you guys think?
Are you having other issues such as poor idling, hard starting, stalling? if your filter was dirty enough to drop your MPGs that low, I would think there would be other signs.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
gilbee

Post by gilbee »

ericalm wrote:
gilbee wrote:

what do you guys think?
Are you having other issues such as poor idling, hard starting, stalling? if your filter was dirty enough to drop your MPGs that low, I would think there would be other signs.
I just cleaned it yesterday and i got a few of those problems. Low idling and I'm not sure my mpg's went back up. I just rode it to work (30 miles) and after warm up it seemed to idle fine.
What else would cause the mpg drop?
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

I just cleaned it yesterday and i got a few of those problems. Low idling and I'm not sure my mpg's went back up. I just rode it to work (30 miles) and after warm up it seemed to idle fine.

I'll state the obvious here, not that you haven't considered it, but riding style can certainly have a big effect on your MPG. I ride a short distance to work each day with a lot of stops and starts. I accelerate quickly and then have to stop again, repeat. MY normal MPG is between 50-60. But, when I take it on longer runs with at a constant speed, my MPG increases significantly, going up to between 80-90 MPG. So, if you've changed your riding style or destinations recently, it could certainly affect the situation. [/quote]
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Everything! Not being facetious—in general, the smaller the engine, the more sensitive it is to any change in conditions. Tire pressure is a big one that many people ignore. The weather plays a part in it. We get differently-formulated gas in the "winter" in CA, too. Put on a few pounds, lower MPGs.

But a drop as steep as yours is unusual. Is that tracked over multiple fill ups? What are you using to gauge your MPG?

Do you know if your air/fuel mix or carb have ever been adjusted?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
gilbee

Post by gilbee »

I ride from Tustin to Brea and back 4-5 days a week. I generally fuel up every other day or so but recently I've been refueling about every day. It's more so a general read. On my next refuel I'll write down my milage and track it that way.
I haven't checked tire pressure and I've never changed my fuel type or mixture. I've only ever fueled up at chevron on supreme. My riding style has also been pretty consistent too throughout this experience.
And I don't know anything about air/fuel mix. Would that fix anything?

Thanks for your input guys. I appreciate it.
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

gilbee wrote:I ride from Tustin to Brea and back 4-5 days a week. I generally fuel up every other day or so but recently I've been refueling about every day. It's more so a general read. On my next refuel I'll write down my milage and track it that way.
I haven't checked tire pressure and I've never changed my fuel type or mixture. I've only ever fueled up at chevron on supreme. My riding style has also been pretty consistent too throughout this experience.

I'm stoked to find another Stella rider in OC! I commute through Tustin nearly every day. My route is basically the entire length of Jamboree and I've been averaging 100 mpg for nearly two years. There's something wrong if you're getting half that mileage.
gilbee

Post by gilbee »

rondothemidget wrote:
gilbee wrote:I ride from Tustin to Brea and back 4-5 days a week. I generally fuel up every other day or so but recently I've been refueling about every day. It's more so a general read. On my next refuel I'll write down my milage and track it that way.

I'm stoked to find another Stella rider in OC! I commute through Tustin nearly every day. My route is basically the entire length of Jamboree and I've been averaging 100 mpg for nearly two years. There's something wrong if you're getting half that mileage.
I'll definitely have my mechanic check things out when I get my exhaust repaired.
Yeah, I didn't know that there were any other stella rider's in oc! We should ride some time!
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

gilbee wrote:

The video just tells you where it is is there. Is there any trick to taking it off?-------

-------what do you guys think?
I believe the video did say that to get to the 4th screw on the air filter cover...
you have to remove the shock bolt at the bottom.. then the rear wheel goes up into the chasis and exposing access to that final 4th screw...

i could be wrong about the vid... but the shock bolt thing is for real... good luck
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

jimmbomb wrote:you have to remove the shock bolt at the bottom.. then the rear wheel goes up into the chasis and exposing access to that final 4th screw...
I used needle-nose pliers to get at the screw from its left side... didn't need to do the trick with moving the engine to get it to line up with the access hole...
rondothemidget

Air filter

Post by rondothemidget »

I finally tackled the air filter cleaning on my own and it's not as bad as I thought.
1. Take off left cowling
2. Take off spare tire
3. Take off rear tire. I place a 2x4 under the engine block to "jack up" the rear.
4. Take out shock absorber bolt and pull shock away, and down. That's the top image. This will pull the engine down and give access to the elusive 4th air filter screw (bottom image).

It would take 10 minutes or less after you did it once.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (83.66 KiB) Viewed 1301 times
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

Is the Stella 4T air filter different from the 2T or a PX? I haven't inspected mine yet.
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

rondothemidget : thanks for the details on getting to the air filter.... they were helpful.

I cleaned my air filter last night and had no idea how dirty it was. It's kind of a messy job..... and I say set aside an hour to do it.

I separated the 2 foam elements, and turned the inner one inside out to expose all the grime. Then I put them, one at a time, in a container of mineral spirits and sloshed them around like a little washing machine.

They must have needed it, because the bike runs a little better :) I have 4000 miles on it now, and I don't think the filter had been cleaned yet. (got the scoot used)

Question : adding the motor oil to the filters once they're clean --- is that to protect them from drying out, or to help trap the dust... or both?
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

misterbrackets wrote:Is the Stella 4T air filter different from the 2T or a PX? I haven't inspected mine yet.
Yes.. very much so...
The 2t air filter sits on top of the carb.
no wheel removal. Very easy to get to..
Just one flat head screwdriver.
And they're NOT compatible with the 4t's
Good luck
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

Question : adding the motor oil to the filters once they're clean --- is that to protect them from drying out, or to help trap the dust... or both?
to help trap the dust