New blur owner with a few questions

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

nenbeely

New blur owner with a few questions

Post by nenbeely »

Bought a new Blur 220i about a month ago - my first foray onto two wheels, and I'm loving it so far. Have already found many excuses to ride up into the twisty coastal canyons above Malibu.

So far I've installed the OEM windscreen and rear rack, and bought an Alaska Leather butt-pad - all based on reading threads here, and all have been welcome additions.

A few questions I'm hoping you friendly board denizens can help me with:

1) Recommendations for the best way to mount an iPhone holder, and even better, running a wire to that mount so I can charge the phone on the go? I'd be using it predominantly as a GPS unit. Ideally if there's a way to mount it centrally on/near the instrument cluster that would be best. My searches online mostly seem to come up with mounts that require handlebar space, and obviously on the Blur that doesn't really exist.

2) When I have the scooter up on its center stand, I've noticed that spinning the back wheel results in a very audible scraping/rubbing sound. I also hear this when I kill the engine and coast into my parking space in the garage. Is this normal, or should I try adjusting the rear brake caliper?

3) Is there a consensus for simplest/most effective headlight upgrade? I don't do much night riding, but the current output is pretty poor.

Thanks in advance for any help.
relenger

Re: New blur owner with a few questions

Post by relenger »

nenbeely wrote:Bought a new Blur 220i about a month ago - my first foray onto two wheels, and I'm loving it so far. Have already found many excuses to ride up into the twisty coastal canyons above Malibu.

So far I've installed the OEM windscreen and rear rack, and bought an Alaska Leather butt-pad - all based on reading threads here, and all have been welcome additions.

A few questions I'm hoping you friendly board denizens can help me with:

1) Recommendations for the best way to mount an iPhone holder, and even better, running a wire to that mount so I can charge the phone on the go? I'd be using it predominantly as a GPS unit. Ideally if there's a way to mount it centrally on/near the instrument cluster that would be best. My searches online mostly seem to come up with mounts that require handlebar space, and obviously on the Blur that doesn't really exist.

2) When I have the scooter up on its center stand, I've noticed that spinning the back wheel results in a very audible scraping/rubbing sound. I also hear this when I kill the engine and coast into my parking space in the garage. Is this normal, or should I try adjusting the rear brake caliper?

3) Is there a consensus for simplest/most effective headlight upgrade? I don't do much night riding, but the current output is pretty poor.

Thanks in advance for any help.
1. Welcome! Glad to hear you love your blur! It is a awesome machine!

1) mounting the old phone.. I have been thinking bout this one for a while. I have not found a Good solution that does not require making a mount. I think the best mount will be custom and require holes in the plastic. I WILL make one with a how to. I just need to find the time!

2) The rear brake is not adjustable and is hydraulic. Are you SURE it is the brake? I would remove the rear caliper (2bolts) and spin the tire and listen. Do NOT grab the rear brake lever!

3) Yes! I have a HID installed in mine. Search my old post to find the pics. I love its output and believe it makes me way more visible at day!
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

My rear brake has done this since new. It scrapes as the rear wheel turns for part of the disc's rotation. I took it in and was told its normal. I think the rear brake disc is not completely flat.
Rush

Post by Rush »

nenbeely

Post by nenbeely »

Thanks for the info, guys. Glad to know the rear wheel scrape is a normal thing. I won't tinker with it - but I'll ask the folks at the shop when I take it in for its initial service just to see if they agree.

HID looks awesome. Looking forward to your DIY iPhone mount!