Some people don't "get" the Blur

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Southerner

Some people don't "get" the Blur

Post by Southerner »

I'm firmly convinced that there is very little in common between scooters and superscooters. Somebody on one of those sites opined that the latter are really better considered as automatic motorcycles and I'm inclined to agree. In fact, I would probably add that superscooters are closer to being automatic touring bikes.

Still, these are nice folks and have a very nice helpful forum.

I saw a thread there where somebody saw a Blur and liked it but I don't think he really understood what it was. He commented on the strangeness of the rear spring location and there was general opinion that the ergos were not as comfortable as some other models, like Kymcos, for example.

It was also mentioned that foot room is sparse. Do you Blur owners think so? Just curious.
kenbike

Post by kenbike »

I like the Blur, it is a good looking modern scooter and pretty comfortable.
My wife has a Vespa 300 super and they are different. Vespa has more low end power and a smoother ride. Blur has better brakes and handles much better. I don't mind the reduced leg room of the blur but it cannot carry as much as the Vespa. If you want a fun scooter the Blur is a good option.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I think the thing for me has always been the price. For the price of a new blur, I could get a good used motorcycle with medium displacement.

It's a circular argument a friend and I have. I love the ability to hit the highway on my kymco 250 in a pinch, but I don't do so very often. Ergo, my buddy works fine for 99% of city driving.

However, having ridden a blur owned by someone else, they handle really well, and I love 'em. If I had a chance to magically pick one up for way cheaper than should ever be possible, I'd be on it.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

All things considered, if I could only have one scooter, it would be a Blur. It ain't perfect, but it does so many things well that it seems like a great variety of scoots in one.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

Foot room is a bit sparse and I think taller riders would feel quite cramped. My blur has been fun so far, but I think it's price is just too high for what it is.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Tristik wrote:Foot room is a bit sparse and I think taller riders would feel quite cramped. My blur has been fun so far, but I think it's price is just too high for what it is.
Agreed. I am liking mine but $4K is a bit steep for what you get IMO. Low $3's would be a much more fair price considering the Honda CBR 250 is around the same price.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Cross-shopped a Vespa recently? The "scooter" competition from Honda would be the (no longer imported) SH150i, which was well over $4k as I recall.
Rovers SC
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Rippinyarn wrote:Cross-shopped a Vespa recently? The "scooter" competition from Honda would be the (no longer imported) SH150i, which was well over $4k as I recall.
Actually Honda has a nice Blur competitor:

http://bikeglam.com/2013-honda-pcx-150-scooter-review/

It is cheaper too($3450). Smaller motor, but it is water cooled.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

The PCX is also 70cc smaller, has a rear drum brake and is made in Thailand. It's a good bike but doesn't match the specs of the 220i at all.

The original Blur 150 had front and rear discs (though no EFI) and IMHO much better styling for a little less than the cost of the PCX150.

Incidentally, the coolest thing about the PCX is that it was designed to kill the engine at lights (anytime you're still for 3 seconds) and then restart the engine when you apply the throttle (to conserve gas and pollute less) It was a pretty neat idea but the NHTSA or DOT or whoever kiboshed it, so the PCX we get just works like a normal scooter. Boo.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I love me some PCX, but they are extremely difficult to find, at least at my local dealers, the 25cc displacement increase didn't seem to do all that much, and yeah, we get rooked out of the best of their fuel saving technology that the rest of the world gets.

That said, I'm a fan and I'd gladly own a PCX, but it's not a sport scooter like the Blur or the Aprilia SR 50 (plug: http://www.examiner.com/review/ride-rev ... ilia-sr-50 )
Rovers SC
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

illnoise wrote:The PCX is also 70cc smaller, has a rear drum brake and is made in Thailand. It's a good bike but doesn't match the specs of the 220i at all.
While I agree the PCX 150 doesn't mirror the 220i's specs it's 150cc motor puts out 13hp while ours puts out around 15hp(according to my COO anyway). 2hp out of 70cc extra displacement isn't much of a bonus IMHO. The brakes are also pretty sophisticated: The PCX also features Honda’s CBC system, which links the rear drum brake to the front disk. This way any application of the rear brake also applies some front braking force. Also the PCX has a 3 piston front caliper which trumps the Blur's 2 piston unit. I think it stacks up pretty well as a Blur competitor while of course not being as hard edged. I bet the engine runs a lot smoother than ours too...
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I don't really have a problem with a drum rear. I think they persist because they are less likely to lock up, causing an end-swap.
toadold

Post by toadold »

The Honda PCX 150i has a bit of a problem in that it wasn't designed with US shop maintenance costs in mind. If you have a place to work and time you can do the take off all the cowling and parts that is necessary to inspect and/or adjust the valves. One guy reported he could do it in three hours. If you have the dealer do it you are looking at three figures because it takes so long to strip off all the parts you need to get at the valve cover. The Honda dealers have been crying for some kind of fix because of the complaints they are getting from customers. As stated the SH150i isn't as bad but it is an orphan bike now in the US, and it's original MSRP was about $4500. The Italian extra strikes again. No side stand either. You can still find them though and you might find a buy from a dealer trying to clear inventory.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

In fact I was just looking at Honda's site yesterday and it's still listed with the rest of the scooters.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

toadold wrote:The Honda PCX 150i has a bit of a problem in that it wasn't designed with US shop maintenance costs in mind. If you have a place to work and time you can do the take off all the cowling and parts that is necessary to inspect and/or adjust the valves. One guy reported he could do it in three hours. If you have the dealer do it you are looking at three figures because it takes so long to strip off all the parts you need to get at the valve cover. The Honda dealers have been crying for some kind of fix because of the complaints they are getting from customers. As stated the SH150i isn't as bad but it is an orphan bike now in the US, and it's original MSRP was about $4500. The Italian extra strikes again. No side stand either. You can still find them though and you might find a buy from a dealer trying to clear inventory.
Last edited by chickdr on Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Southerner wrote:In fact I was just looking at Honda's site yesterday and it's still listed with the rest of the scooters.
The SH150i you mean? Well, yes, but as a 2010.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I'm not surprised. I think they mean to sell out of them here. Strange to think it's the number one seller in Italy (or was it all of Europe?) and a no-go here.

In any case, I think Honda has found the right formula with the PCX, which is strange because US buyers normally prefer a more-traditionally styled scoot.
Rusty Shackleford

If I Bought Another Scooter Today, it'd be a Blur

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

chickdr wrote:While I agree the PCX 150 doesn't mirror the 220i's specs it's 150cc motor puts out 13hp while ours puts out around 15hp(according to my COO anyway). 2hp out of 70cc extra displacement isn't much of a bonus IMHO.
This comparison was tough for me at first because I love both Honda and Genuine (all be it the former for motorcycles and the latter for scooters). As is typical with the scooters Genuine puts out, the Blur is a deal for the money that's hard to beat. Like others have previously mentioned, it's unbelievably affordable when compared to similar equipped competition.

Anyhow, I understand that observation about displacement. The catch is the RPM's the engine makes power. A small engine can make an incredible amount of power if it revs high enough, but a larger engine can do the same thing at lower revs (and even more so if it's running lower compression). I'd be interested to see the power curves of the PCX150 VS the Blur. I suspect that if 70cc is only yielding a 2hp increase, it's probably running with a lot less fuss at 55mph. Don't get me wrong though, I don't think you could go wrong with either, but for the money, look at the other 200cc+ scooters. The Blur will start looking like a heck of a deal more and more all the time.
Last edited by Rusty Shackleford on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
toadold

Post by toadold »

It is easier for me to get financing at my close by Honda dealer for a 2013 PCX 150i, than it is at my further away Genuine dealer. but I just can't snap on one. despite the power to weight, and technically advanced engine. They've got one thing on them that is really irritating to me anyway, and that is, you pretty much have to take the bike 3/4/s apart to inspect or adjust the valves. So far no one has come up with a cheat for it. There tales of $300 to $400 dollars dealers charge for the first inspection at 600 miles. People are doing it themselves if they have a place to do it, I don't, I live in an apartment complex with a parking lot that has compound slants to it. If they don't take it to a dealer for maintenance at all the recommended valve check intervals they are just listening to the engine and watching performance and only having the valve inspection, adjust alone done by the dealer when they think the valve tappet noise is getting to quiet or performance is dropping off. One guy has a good relation with his dealer and he takes the bike up and pre-strips it down at the dealer ship. The problem seems to stem from the fact that it was designed in Thailand and there is a "bike shop on every block" and the mechs don't charge anything like what they do in the states.
ggs34

pcx 150

Post by ggs34 »

one thing you guys did not say is the mpg the blur gets a very poor 70 to 78 mpg my vespa gt200 with a carb can get that any day of the week and weights a lot more
the honda gets 102mpg with there pgm efi
chickdr

Re: pcx 150

Post by chickdr »

ggs34 wrote:one thing you guys did not say is the mpg the blur gets a very poor 70 to 78 mpg my vespa gt200 with a carb can get that any day of the week and weights a lot more
the honda gets 102mpg with there pgm efi
I ran mine really hard last week with a friend on his Honda 919. After running at 65mph for a while- I realized my full 1.8 gallon tank had emptied in only around 80miles. Simply horrible MPG IMHO. His 919 had been run harder and got 70mpg on the trip. I usually get around 100 miles before needing a fill up which still stinks.
ggs34

Post by ggs34 »

so are you saying you got 50mpg or so? if so that the wosrt mpg i ever head of on a scooter
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

ggs34 wrote:so are you saying you got 50mpg or so? if so that the wosrt mpg i ever head of on a scooter
This is exactly what I said. If run flat out it gets about 50mpg. I get around 60mpg otherwise.
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

chickdr wrote:
ggs34 wrote:so are you saying you got 50mpg or so? if so that the wosrt mpg i ever head of on a scooter
This is exactly what I said. If run flat out it gets about 50mpg. I get around 60mpg otherwise.
Yea running flat out I'd bet I am getting around 60mpg on my Blur. In town it's more like 70+. BLur styling is awesome IMO, handles great, brakes are fantastic. The Honda looks pretty ugly I think but that's an individual taste. Per previous comment I haven't ridden a modern Vespa but the Blur has all it's power in the mid range. I do own two Vintage Vespas.

Full disclosure- Both my first car and first motorcycle were Hondas. I even own a honda lawn mower....I dogged the hell out of all of them and I am fairly sure all three are still running. Really can't stop a Honda. That being said I don't know anyone on here who has put more miles on a Blur than me but if so SPEAK UP! I'd love to hear.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Blur isn't a great city scooter. Extreme stop and go kills it.

Check the fuelly link in my signature.

edit: link

I have a stack of receipts I need to enter (yes, I've gotten gas since December!), but I have 40 fuel-ups entered and am averaging just over 50 mpg.

Disclaimer: West LA, crazy traffic.
Last edited by Edwub on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

At least I am not alone in my poor mileage. On the Fuelly web site I see the 220cc Blur ranges from 52-62mpg. Meh. Compare that to the Honda PCX 150 which looks to be around 90mpg avg.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I've gotten as low as 56 (with under 100 miles on it), but can now easily exceed 70 MPG as long as I don't hit the superhighway. The real sin is that tiny fuel tank, and we've been griping about that since the start.
Rovers SC
Spud

Post by Spud »

chickdr wrote:
I'm not knocking the Blur (I've never even ridden one), but I'm pretty sure I got more than 50 mpg on my mid-90's 500cc sport bike. :?
Rush

Post by Rush »

This has been said before and in several threads here but - I get about 72 mpg with about 1/2 to 1/3 of the miles on the rushhour highway at 60-70 mph. 9k miles on the Blur, tires psi around 40. Right at about 100 miles on the odo and the Blur gas meter is down to 1 bar and I fuel up another 1.4 gallons. Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 seems to help as well.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Rush wrote:This has been said before and in several threads here but - I get about 72 mpg with about 1/2 to 1/3 of the miles on the rushhour highway at 60-70 mph. 9k miles on the Blur, tires psi around 40. Right at about 100 miles on the odo and the Blur gas meter is down to 1 bar and I fuel up another 1.4 gallons. Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 seems to help as well.
There must be a huge variation on mileage as today I am at 52 miles since the last fill up and I have 4 bars of gas left. I probably won't make 90 miles on this tank. This is all driving to and from work on 40mph roads. I have to wonder about your choice of oil as well. 15w40 is recommended. Is 5w40 heavy enough(I can see that weight in winter but what about on 90-100F summer days)? I guess one wouldn't know until you are way up in mileage.