Phil McCaleb stepping down.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

blurry

Phil McCaleb stepping down.

Post by blurry »

PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I hope he remains Dorkus Emeritus.

Thank you, Phil!
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Wow what a big life change. I am really thankful for Phil's contributions! I had such a great time Sunday at Amerivespa on my Buddy. Even though my scootering needs have changes some (eww, ick, freeway)it just tapped into a special place in my heart riding my little guy around town.

To great things ahead Phil!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Something going on behind the scenes, methinks. One wonders what effect
this is going to have on the company and what direction it will take in the future. :wha:
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Hopefully that means Phil gets more time to do PR, ride, regain his full health, ride, ride, visit all of us, and ride :P.

Hopefully this is a good thing and is an overall positive. He's not totally leaving, which means he has a vested interest in what goes on.

Be well, have fun I say!
Syd

Post by Syd »

I hope it was his choice.

(I hope the RU is still in the pipeline.) :wink:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Good luck, Sir Phillip.
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Syd wrote:I hope it was his choice

(I hope the RU is still in the pipeline.) :wink:
The details are none of my business, but if we reflect on our own lives I think we can attest that many of the unexpected challenges we endure are really blessings in disguise!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Wow. What a game changer. Well I wish nothing but positive things for everyone involved. Phil, I certainly hope to ride together again soon! Don't go changin! And don't be a stranger! Genuine peeps, I hope you will continue the Genuine legacy in the spirit in which it was created. The scooter community has so much love for your company and your products. And that's just the way we like it! :)

Onward and upward everyone!!! KSU!!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

peabody99 wrote:...if we reflect on our own lives I think we can attest that many of the unexpected challenges we endure are really blessings in disguise!
+1 Very true indeed!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I can still see Phil hanging around the office :).
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Syd

Post by Syd »

I just hope that Chicago Associates, the private equity company that 'recapitalized' Genuine, doesn't decide this is the time to cash out. And if it is the time, I hope Phil got a good Parting Gift as he exited.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Best of Luck, and have LOTS of FUN Riding......
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Cant find much on line about Chicago Assoc. but Scooterworks Holdings,
LLC, licensed in Delaware has been licensed for 2 years and is headed up
by William Jackson. Philips replacement is Dorothy Hanley. Has she been
involved in the company before he stepped down? What direction will the
company proceed in under the new leadership. I hope upward. :|
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

And does Dorothy Handley Ride...?
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

thanks, phil. you have indeed created a solid, loyal fanbase of scooter riders. best of luck!
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

still shifting wrote:And does Dorothy Handley Ride...?
I see that this thread got Google-indexed in a hurry, so for the record, it's "Dorothy Hanley." I don't know whether Ms Hanley rode before, but she's now riding herd on our favorite scooter company, so I wish her (and Phil) well. :D
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

First George Zimmer and now Phil??

This is a bummer but I'll trust that he's set up a good crew to continue moving Genuine in the same positive direction.

Thanks for everything, Phil! It's good knowing you'll still be out there, taking 'er easy for all us sinners.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This decision was entirely Philip's. He's leaving a company that's in very good shape. After decades in a very difficult industry, Philip's got a lot of new things on the burners and will continue to see some projects through completion at Genuine.

As always, I'll warn people against rumor mongering and trying to read between the lines based on little info. I know it's the nature of the Internet to see black hats and conspiracies and evil lurking behind every corner. But idle speculation is just that.

Philip's decision is exactly what it seems to be. He was not pushed out. As for what it means for the future of Genuine, I can't say and neither can anyone else without a time machine. I'm sure we all hope for the best.

As for Dorothy Hanley, I've met her briefly a couple times. (Introduction, handshake, hellos.) I don't know much about her but she's been part of Genuine for the past couple years since they invested in the company.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

Thanks, Philip. I would never have caught the scooter bug without the Buddy.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
TVB

Post by TVB »

Good to hear that this is something Phil wants to happen. I understand why these kinds of statements are issued by Someone Else when an executive steps down, but it does make things sound... shady.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Thanks for all the work you've done Phil! You're a great businessman and a great guy. Stay around, check in from time to time, and we'll see you on the face-book. Best wishes in all you're future career moves! The Buddy has been a blessing for me, and is still rock solid.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Like others my first response was Wow. Nothing stays the same just have to look at the mirror to see that fact but I am hopeful this will mean the direction and philosophy will not change in serving the scooter community.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Eric and TVB put things into perspective. Very often when an announcement
of this magnitude concerning a change in management in a company will
try to put a good face on it while easing the exec out the door. Good to know
that in this case that it is not what it might seem. Philip built what might just
be the best scooter company in this country and deserves full credit for his
efforts. :clap: :clap:
Crazy88s

Good Luck PhilPhil McCaleb

Post by Crazy88s »

Good Luck Phil, I cant wait to see whats next from Genuine Scooters (Please come out with a new Special Edition Stella Scooter, Preferably a 150 2 T)
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

The press release does not mention Scooterworks USA and Scooterworks Direct, will he still be involved in their day-to-day operations?
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
JohnKiniston

Re: Good Luck PhilPhil McCaleb

Post by JohnKiniston »

Crazy88s wrote:Good Luck Phil, I cant wait to see whats next from Genuine Scooters (Please come out with a new Special Edition Stella Scooter, Preferably a 150 2 T)
They had a new Buddy 170 color scheme on display at Amerivespa that may be released in the future.

I highly doubt they will import any more 2T Stellas. A 4T Special edition is much more likely than a 2T one.
Indy21

Post by Indy21 »

JohnKiniston wrote:
Crazy88s wrote:Good Luck Phil, I cant wait to see whats next from Genuine Scooters (Please come out with a new Special Edition Stella Scooter, Preferably a 150 2 T)
They had a new Buddy 170 color scheme on display at Amerivespa that may be released in the future.

I highly doubt they will import any more 2T Stellas. A 4T Special edition is much more likely than a 2T one.
Or a 200 4T! (fingers crossed...tightly) :wink:
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Indy21 wrote:
JohnKiniston wrote:

Now that'd be fun to have. Maybe I can buy a 200 Engine on Ebay some day if not.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Quality guy and always fun to meet at the Rallies! God bless Phil and I hope and pray you do well and we all meet again in the future! While riding, if possible!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

Thanks to Phil for what he's done for the scooter hobby and many
blessings for his future!
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Indy21 wrote:
JohnKiniston wrote:

Not. Gonna. Happen.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Indy21

Post by Indy21 »

ericalm wrote:
Indy21 wrote:
JohnKiniston wrote: They had a new Buddy 170 color scheme on display at Amerivespa that may be released in the future.

Not. Gonna. Happen.
Aw c'mon, don't kill the dream!

Even you've said in the past that it wouldn't happen "anytime soon", dont the towel yet! =)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Indy21 wrote:Aw c'mon, don't kill the dream!

Even you've said in the past that it wouldn't happen "anytime soon", dont the towel yet! =)
I'd like to revise that to "not ever!" :)

BUT, amongst all of this are indications of at least a couple new models coming down the pipeline from Genuine. We already know the automatic Stella is a "when, not if" deal. Next would be… not the 280cc… 
Syd

Post by Syd »

ericalm wrote:

BUT, amongst all of this are indications of at least a couple new models coming down the pipeline from Genuine. We already know the automatic Stella is a "when, not if" deal. Next would be… not the 280cc… 
Damn! :(
Syd

Post by Syd »

Syd wrote:
ericalm wrote:

I have the CARB Executive Orders page bookmarked, and check every couple weeks just to see that engine listed. PleasePleasePleasepleaseplease don't ruin it for me :whine:
Indy21

Post by Indy21 »

Syd wrote:
Syd wrote:
ericalm wrote: I'd like to revise that to "not ever!" :)

I have the CARB Executive Orders page bookmarked, and check every couple weeks just to see that engine listed. PleasePleasePleasepleaseplease don't ruin it for me :whine:
Share this link please and I'll check for you every week in between, haha!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Indy21 wrote:
Syd wrote:
Syd wrote: Damn! :(
What I check is http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/cert.php#6. The column to read is ONMC (ON-oad MotorCycle).
Indy21

Post by Indy21 »

Syd wrote:
Indy21 wrote:
Syd wrote: I have the CARB Executive Orders page bookmarked, and check every couple weeks just to see that engine listed. PleasePleasePleasepleaseplease don't ruin it for me :whine:
What I check is http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/cert.php#6. The column to read is ONMC (ON-oad MotorCycle).
Great! Thanks!

So I take it since this is a California site that in order for a new bike to come stateside period it has to make this list?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Indy21 wrote:So I take it since this is a California site that in order for a new bike to come stateside period it has to make this list?
Sort of. Some companies have offered bikes as "49 state" bikes. The original Stella 2T and millennium Vespa PXs were never sold in CA. Currently there are a few, such as the Suzuki TU250. And some companies import into the other states before CA. It took us years to get the SYMba when it was available elsewhere due to some bureaucratic hooey.

Genuine is pretty much bring everything over for all 50 states these days, though. So anything new would have to clear the list.

A couple caveats: CARB certifies engine systems, not specific models. So when the Buddy 150 was first certified, a whole bunch of other PGO 150s with the same innards were cleared, though Genuine had no plans to bring them over. And there's sometimes a delay between clearance for sales and posting of the order online. The Piaggio BV350 was already on showroom floors in CA before the CARB papers were available on the site.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I'm disappointed that we won't get a 200 Stella but hope to see the new automatic. I've looked at a lot of scooters over the years and most are pretty cool but plastic doesn't age well and metal can always be repainted.

Coming from a motorcycle background, I find shifting to be a pleasure rather than a barrier but I have read so much about cables and the problems they cause that it would be simpler to do without them.

Congratulations to Mr. McCaleb and best wishes for the future. Genuine does seem like a spunky and committed outfit. I hope it remains so. And I hope the perceived growth in scootering I see hereabouts will result in growth in the near future for Genuine.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

An automatic Stella? Death of the last real scooter. Better buy a 4T or scramble to find a decent 2T one now this summer I suppose :\
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

neotrotsky wrote:An automatic Stella? Death of the last real scooter. Better buy a 4T or scramble to find a decent 2T one now this summer I suppose :\
For many, an auto Stella is the birth of the scooter they've always wanted.

It's not replacing the shifty. Both will be available.

After that, I imagine a lot depends on whether people continue buying the shifty Stella. Those concerned about its future should buy a few and convince everyone they know to do so as well!
Rob

Post by Rob »

ericalm wrote: For many, an auto Stella is the birth of the scooter they've always wanted.
Exactly. My wife absolutely loves the Stella vintage styling, but absolutely refused to consider a shifty.

Her dream bike would be an auto Stella w/ a sidecar for the pooches.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Indy21

Post by Indy21 »

ericalm wrote:It's not replacing the shifty. Both will be avaiable.
Sorry, don't take this the wrong way as I'm new here but, how do you know so much? Are you Phil's brother or something? LoL

I mean if you know all the models coming and not coming as fact then that's awesome and I'll keep a close eye on your postings for any future information, sounds like you have a "special inside connection" that some of us don't know about. If so then I'll listen to all you have to offer, just don't leave us hangin man!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

So, uh what about the cruiser? sorry it is the law that if this subject is not addressed within 48 hours of the inception of a thread it is my duty to bring this matter to the table :lol: Ive been filling the void in the scooter chambers of my heart and garage with well qualified scoots such as Vespa and Helix....but..still cruiser curious.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Besides being the site administrator Eric is the go-to guy for info of this sort.
It is what he does and he has reliable connections. I have found him to be
generally spot on with what he posts :clap:
If the Stella is coming in as an automatic I would buy another one somehow.
Maybe put my Cozy side car on it. If I remember correctly Eric once said that
the Stella 125 that was shipped to Europe was the same as the 150 shipped here, just a matter of semantics. :wink:
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

I would love an automatic Stella but with that seat height, I dunno. I can't even flatfoot my Buddy.
so tough, so pink
Indy21

Post by Indy21 »

Wolfhound wrote:It is what he does and he has reliable connections. I have found him to be generally spot on with what he posts
Well, then I'll say d@mn I hate when he's right! Haha
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Indy21 wrote:
ericalm wrote:It's not replacing the shifty. Both will be avaiable.
Sorry, don't take this the wrong way as I'm new here but, how do you know so much? Are you Phil's brother or something? LoL

I mean if you know all the models coming and not coming as fact then that's awesome and I'll keep a close eye on your postings for any future information, sounds like you have a "special inside connection" that some of us don't know about. If so then I'll listen to all you have to offer, just don't leave us hangin man!
Valid question! I am not Phil's brother, but I do have a relationship with him and others from Genuine. Unlike other scooter company honchos, the Genuine guys go out and meet owners, talk to them and, like me, attend a lot of events. Philip and the others at Genuine are really friendly, interesting guys, so over the years, we've developed relationships. This doesn't mean they feed me tons of information about everything. They are, in fact, very careful in what they tell me.

They are also very aware of the MB community and read almost all the posts here, but have had the foresight not to ever interfere in the forum. They never post here, with the exception of Philip's annual holiday/New Year missive, a tradition I hope he maintains for years to come.

Generally speaking, I share any reliable info I get. On rare occasions, I sit on info for a time until it's verified. I'm not a fan of idle speculation and wild guessing and don't like to start rumors. Anything I post that's not substantiated or from a reliable source is posted as "rumor."

There will be auto and shifty Stellas sold at the same time, but I honestly don't know how much life the shifty has left. The demand hasn't been overwhelming. Turns out, many buyers in India and Asia don't give a rat's ass what people in the relatively tiny by comparison US market consider a "real" scooter.
Wolfhound wrote:If I remember correctly Eric once said that
the Stella 125 that was shipped to Europe was the same as the 150 shipped here, just a matter of semantics. :wink:
The licensing requirements in many countries are tiered based on displacement, which is why many 150s sold in North America are 125s elsewhere.