MB'ers at Amerivespa 2013

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dalvarado

Post by dalvarado »

jijifer wrote:good to meet some of you! Hope some of you were on the ride I led on my buddy: Elves in the Forest.

it was fun!
Me and my group all had a great time on that ride. You guys all did a great job. I know if must have been a huge amount of work putting this rally together. Thanks so much!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Thanks for the pictures David, we are a happy bunch, no?
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

I was there with my Amazing Multi-Colored 4T Stella!

It's got a Modern Buddy sticker but it's on the other side.

Bummer I didn't get to meet Eric in person but I did get to have dinner with Peabody.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Sorry we didn't get to do an MB gathering as we have in past years. There seemed to be far less downtime this year. Felt like I rarely came up for air!

Those who attended: You all admirably represented the Buddy community! A lot of the best riders and friendliest people out there were Buddy people.

And I hope you all got a sense of why I've long said a lot of my fave scooter people are in the San Diego area. My arms aren't long enough for the massive group hug I want to give all of them for what they did this weekend. It was more than just organizing an event, but also their friendliness and eagerness to help anyone who needed it.
dalvarado wrote:Tito (909 Scooter Club, etc) with jijifer. Jijifer was super nice and did an awesome job leading the Elfin Forest ride. Holy crap, that girl can ride!
She sure as hell can! At the Lake Hodges break at Elfin, a group of guys was gathered around her Buddy, marveling at its speed and her awesome riding.

(For those on this ride: Um, we don't ride like this all the time! Well, I don't. Those Pharaohs are nuts.)
dalvarado wrote:Not sure if Jennifer Keaney is on MB or not. She's got the best color for a Buddy, but I might be biased.
I didn't meet her but she's in some of my Mexico pics, coming soon. :)
dalvarado wrote:Eric was everywhere at Amerivespa. Helping out with rides, winning awards, working the catwalk at the fashion show(really, you should have seen it), etc.
I am forever grateful that the stage was really dark. Or so I'm told. I have no recollection of any of it happening because my brain has developed a fine "likelihood of embarrassment" filter.

Actually, the reason I did this is because Steve Bailey from Motorsport asked. Those guys at the shop are freaking amazing. They give a lot to the local community and are very active and avid scooterists. Having lost my local shop this year, I'm extra envious of what they have in SD.
dalvarado wrote:I really wish I could remember this guys name.
Wagehog, real name unknown. ;) He's active with SD Scooter Squadron, on MB (I think?) and has come out for some LA rides. An SD local. As my grandfather would say, "That guy's a real character!"
dalvarado wrote:This blackjack belongs to a Pharoah. These guys are badass. They can block traffic like no other and they have cool jackets. See the MB patch? This MBer should be easy to ID.
That's Wayne's scoot. His MB handle is n2tattoos. That's another Pharaoh seated there.
dalvarado wrote:Unknown scooterist in black on the blue buddy with jijifer in the background hugging her coffee. I'm not sure if she is or isn't the one who got married at High Rollers in Vegas. She mentioned something about having to wear the yellow vest for a year or something???
Tawnya, wife of Wayne (right, with beard). Angel is to the far right. All Buddy owners! She's a Pharaoh pledge so needs to wear he vest.
dalvarado wrote:Another unknown Buddyist. Her buddy was clean! Check out the mirrors. Her outfit matched the scooter perfectly as well.
She's on MB as batgirl101; she's from SF.
JohnKiniston wrote:I was there with my Amazing Multi-Colored 4T Stella!

It's got a Modern Buddy sticker but it's on the other side.

Bummer I didn't get to meet Eric in person but I did get to have dinner with Peabody.
Sorry I missed you, but I did see your scooter a bunch! Peabody is probably an excellent dinner companion. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

dalvarado wrote:Tito (909 Scooter Club, etc) with jijifer. Jijifer was super nice and did an awesome job leading the Elfin Forest ride. Holy crap, that girl can ride!
You really captured how tired I was :) and prison orange isn't my color :)
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

dalvarado wrote:This is Dixie, who Co-organizes Phoenix Scooter Club with her Seafoam buddy. She had a crazy story about how her AC went out in the truck and then something about her brakes going out. She was all smiles when I met her. I don't think she's on MB, but she did get a MB sticker, so we'll see.
This Tawyna. She is pledging for the Pharaohs which requires wearing a vest for 1 year. She did get married to a Pharaoh, N2Tattoos here on MB, at High Rollers this year. Angel aka Turdle, a Pharaoh rides a Black Jack as does Wayne aka N2Tattoos
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Genuine posted some pics to their Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 717&type=3
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

It was so nice to see so many people from MB. Many for the first time (hi Howard!) I am always so awed by how dang nice everyone is! You people really are good for the soul. Thank you for that!
dalvarado wrote:Skootz being Skootz. He and everyone who ran the rides did an awesome job keeping a HUGE group of scooters rolling through the streets of San Diego.
I have to say blocking for the Elfin Forest ride was the highlight of my weekend. Those Pharaohs know their stuff. It was like a well choreographed dance where everyone knew exactly what everyone else was doing or about to do. The closest thing to a scooter team sport I've experienced. Absolute total fun that I will remember for a long long time. The fact that I got to blaze around at 80mph was also somewhat appealing :P

Kudos to Jijifer for putting together a total winner of a ride!
dalvarado wrote:By the way Justin, I need to steal your scooter.
lol You'd have to catch me first! :)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Six sets of pics in my Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/82788703@N00/sets

Lots of MB members, Buddys, Stellas and more.

The LA Scooter Group is already making all sorts of plans for New Orleans. :)
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Wow--Awesome pics, dalvarado!

Wish I were there to meet so many people that are on ModernBuddy on a regular basis! :cry:

Well...maybe one of these years!
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

couple of thoughts:

1) there isn't a single good picture of me take all weekend - holy crap!
2) Without sharing the birth of the baby, The Eflin ride was a success because not only did the Pharaohs help, Eric, Justin, John (non MB) and Kevin (non MB) answered my request for help in herding the cats!
3) I think folks were surprised at what my buddy can do. I never took off the 125 so you don't know its a 161 until I'm tearing up a hill.

despite what the pictures may suggest, I had a lot of fun and it was good to meet new to me MBers!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jijifer wrote:1) there isn't a single good picture of me take all weekend - holy crap!
You're in gear in all of mine!

EDIT! From LASG member Aaron!
Attachments
JT, Vanessa, Bob (MB: rondothemidget), jijifer, some tourist looking d-bag
JT, Vanessa, Bob (MB: rondothemidget), jijifer, some tourist looking d-bag
highres_255178982.jpeg (247.58 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

ericalm wrote:
jijifer wrote:1) there isn't a single good picture of me take all weekend - holy crap!
You're in gear in all of mine!

EDIT! From LASG member Aaron!
ok that's a good one. It's that in all the others I'm mouth breathing, half blinking, drooling and mid sentence in like all of them :)
koyla87

Post by koyla87 »

I only did the Saturday Ride. It was Pretty fun since i grew up here in San Diego!
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

koyla87 wrote:I only did the Saturday Ride. It was Pretty fun since i grew up here in San Diego!
oh I'm glad you did the one ride led by a Buddy!! that turn at Governor we held a light to make sure everyone caught up. We did that a couple of times. I hope it wasn't too frustrating in the back. We wanted to arrive as a group :)
koyla87

Post by koyla87 »

jijifer wrote:
koyla87 wrote:I only did the Saturday Ride. It was Pretty fun since i grew up here in San Diego!
oh I'm glad you did the one ride led by a Buddy!! that turn at Governor we held a light to make sure everyone caught up. We did that a couple of times. I hope it wasn't too frustrating in the back. We wanted to arrive as a group :)
Being towards the back wasn't too bad. Governor Dr. is where i grew up so it was awesome to take that route going through my neighborhood.
At torrey pines downhill, i jumped out of line and went forward and passed 100 other scooters.
I HAD to be in front, i was riding alone, and it was San Diego, my home town. Going into horse country was pretty cool! you guys did a great job!

And that DAMN kill switch at the very end haha OOPS. i don't know how I hit it.
Attachments
IMG_2045.jpg
IMG_2045.jpg (37.24 KiB) Viewed 2351 times
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

jijifer wrote:
I enjoy riding in the back as it is pleasant to see all the scooters ahead of you. The first 1/2 of the ride I was even the last one for a while other than the sweeper. I also got to see the accumulated road road rage of some people that were tired of waiting for us. I pity them that they have such a dark shriveled spirit that they can't lighten up. :)
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

The next one is back in New Orleans? I need to get back to it this year if it is!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

dalvarado wrote:I really wish I could remember this guys name. He was super cool and I think he was also involved in a few of the rides? We has a good time at the park on Sunday watching the cops as they tried to shut down the giant scooter party at Princess Point.
Hey hey, it was I, Tom aka tommyred aka wagehog. We did have a good weekend, didn't we. Really nice meeting you guys.
The Reverend Wage
Ordained Dudeist Priest ☯�
Abide!
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

peabody99 wrote:
jijifer wrote:
I enjoy riding in the back as it is pleasant to see all the scooters ahead of you. The first 1/2 of the ride I was even the last one for a while other than the sweeper. I also got to see the accumulated road road rage of some people that were tired of waiting for us. I pity them that they have such a dark shriveled spirit that they can't lighten up. :)
I like riding in the back, too. I also like zooming up to the front for some pics or vids, then back of the line I go. I was even right behind you for a good stretch the coast on the Elfin ride.
The Reverend Wage
Ordained Dudeist Priest ☯�
Abide!