Replace gear oil/Rattler 110

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

2wheelfreak72

Replace gear oil/Rattler 110

Post by 2wheelfreak72 »

The manual says to replace the gear oil at 200 Miles.So how do drain and replace the gear oil?Thank You,Marty
aruntoo

Post by aruntoo »

12mm bolt on the bottom of the casing...then remove the plastic cap and fill. on the side of the casing it tells you the exact amount needed.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

200 miles? That seems very early for changing your gear oil. This is probably supposed to be part of the first service (which has to be done by the dealer in order to maintain your warranty). The distances for some of these checks in the manuals are a little off. Before bothering to change it, you might want to call your dealer and make sure they won't turn around and do it in another 100 miles.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
afriendofcheese

Post by afriendofcheese »

This is a pic of my 50 where I think I'm supposed to drain. Is this the correct bolt?
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

ericalm wrote:200 miles? That seems very early for changing your gear oil. This is probably supposed to be part of the first service (which has to be done by the dealer in order to maintain your warranty). The distances for some of these checks in the manuals are a little off. Before bothering to change it, you might want to call your dealer and make sure they won't turn around and do it in another 100 miles.
My dealer (Motorsports SD) did indeed confirm that as the proper interval for the gear oil on both our Buddy 125 AND Rattler (first time only at that interval) is 200 miles +/-
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

So far everyone's been right. 200 is early, yet that's when you're supposed to do it. That was the drain (the red mark should line back up when you tighten it back up) plug with the red dot on it. I'd let the dealer do it first... warranty. It doesn't even hold 1/2 qt of gear oil so capacity is tiny. I did mine, but mine's not stock either. :D
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

nissanman wrote:So far everyone's been right. 200 is early, yet that's when you're supposed to do it. That was the drain (the red mark should line back up when you tighten it back up) plug with the red dot on it. I'd let the dealer do it first... warranty. It doesn't even hold 1/2 qt of gear oil so capacity is tiny. I did mine, but mine's not stock either. :D
95 cc if memory serves. (probably not :? )
afriendofcheese

Post by afriendofcheese »

FYI the dealer told me to use 75W90 for refilling.