New Rollers & Old Friends

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lobsterman

New Rollers & Old Friends

Post by lobsterman »

Hello old friends, it's been a while... I've been riding all this time but not participating in the forum.

I stopped in to MB to review the roller replacement photos and tips, and thought it would be polite to say hello while I am here.

My 2006 Buddy 125 is running great at 10K miles and just needed the Dr. Pulley sliders replaced - I chose the stock rollers this time. I was not happy with the performance and longevity of the Dr. Pulley sliders. All is well with the stock rollers installed now and it accelerates the way it should and the top end is back. Lately it never totally made it into high gear and so top speed was significantly diminished and so fuel economy was horrible.

I would be remiss if I didn't thank lagerhead whose advice got me through the install last time and I fortunately remembered this time as well.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

What weight sliders did you have in and what weight rollers did you switch to?
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I'd have that question too. Mine is just over 8k miles, and everyone remarks how fast it is. I have 11g sliders in there, and my fuel economy is only impacted when I pretend I can race :P.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Good to see ya! Not many of the original Vintage Buddy peeps left around!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
kungfooren

Post by kungfooren »

Glad to hear that replacing the roller weights solved your problems.
I'm a bit surprised to hear that you didn't like the Dr. Pulley sliders. I've had them on 2 of my buddies (50cc) and they'be been great. I went 0.5g lighter than the original rollers and my acceleration and top speed have improved.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Say, while we're on the subject, I'm about due for a transmission inspection and assuming I need replacement, what's the stock roller weight on a 150 and what's the consensus recommended slider weight?
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Peteh,

Most of us seem to say that 11g is great. 12g is what some people prefer for some of the more modified transmissions.

11g and I have smoother/faster acceleration, normal top end (indicated 65ish, no windscreen).

I also have the pipe.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

It's not that I didn't like the Dr. Pulleys - they were just different (sound, acceleration and top end all slightly different).

What I really didn't like is that they didn't perform well for long. I think I really only got about 2000 miles on them before they started failing to go all the way to the top end.

With the stock rollers back in I am happy. It was cheap and easy, and I can do it myself.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Syd

Post by Syd »

Don't be a stranger now, alright? :lol:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

lobsterman wrote:It's not that I didn't like the Dr. Pulleys - they were just different (sound, acceleration and top end all slightly different).

What I really didn't like is that they didn't perform well for long. I think I really only got about 2000 miles on them before they started failing to go all the way to the top end.

With the stock rollers back in I am happy. It was cheap and easy, and I can do it myself.
I always feel like I'm in the minority when sliders are discussed; I didn't like them. Nothing wrong with them… I just prefer the feel and performance of rollers.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…