I know it's hot where you are, but I'm SO COLD!!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sfchorus

I know it's hot where you are, but I'm SO COLD!!!

Post by sfchorus »

I hope you’re all having a great summer so far. While I know it’s really hot in most places in the country, here in San Francisco, we’re experiencing our typical summer weather, which means it’s cold and continually foggy out. Mark Twain wasn’t kidding about that “coldest winter he ever spent…” (was a summer in SF.)

So, two questions for all of you:
1. Can my Buddy 125’s small engine support heated grips? I suspect so but just need confirmation.
2. Do any of you have any experience with heated clothing (I’m thinking about a vest) from a company called ActiVHeat? I think it’s made for cold weather athletes (like skiers) and comes with it’s own rechargeable battery pack. I thought I’d wear the vest underneath my armor jacket. The website says it radiates heat from the chest and back areas, and that sounds positively cozy to me. Does anyone out there have any experience with clothing of this type?

Anyway, I thought I’d consult with all of you before investing. I’m really enjoying my time on my Buddy, but I really hate the cold. Please let me know your thoughts on my questions above. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by sfchorus on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

for heating clothing

this stuff is the "best" from what I have seen
http://www.gerbing.com/

the buddy 125 should support heated grips however i would throw it on a battery tender just to be on the safe side.
sfchorus

Post by sfchorus »

Thanks Throwback7R - I'll look into Gerbing!
Milt

Post by Milt »

Heated glove liners are more efficient than heated grips and require no modifications - the pair I use plug in to the little outlet on the Buddy's inner leg shield and draw less than one amp.

I got them at my local Harley shop; so far, so good, down to 18 degrees last winter...
Freedom is a package deal
sfchorus

Post by sfchorus »

Thanks Milt! That's good to know!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Back when I lived in a place with really cold weather (Cleveland), I bought a Corazzo lap apron. Next to the neck gaitor, it was my most important piece of cold weather gear. It was better than the long under wear, jeans and ski pants that I would layer. I assume you are already wearing gloves right? We should all be wearing them for protection regardless of the temps :) .

While its quite pleasant now in San Diego, in the winter sometimes it is as low as upper 30's in the morning, and I use my all my cold weather gear!
sfchorus

Post by sfchorus »

Thanks Peabody! Yes on the gloves, but I think some heated glove liners are in order. I also wear an armor jacket, over-the-ankle boots, and of course, a full-face helmet. In the winter, I'll get some armored pants.

I'll look into the lap apron. Someone pointed it out to me when I first got my Buddy but I didn't take them seriously (as in "it can't be THAT cold!") but I guess I was wrong!

Thanks again!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I realize Mark Twain was right about those San Francisco summers. On the other hand, I think you are overdoing it a bit. Heated riding clothing puts quite an electrical load on a vehicle and the Buddy has a fairly modest electrical system. Given that we aren't talking about below zero here :wink: , my suggestion is to look into some options in good quality lined gloves. I can't imagine a day in SF where a good pair of gloves wouldn't do the job for keeping your hands warm.
sfchorus

Post by sfchorus »

LOL - I specialize in coming up with amazingly complex solutions to really simple problems. Funny you picked up on that. I will begin tackling my problem with the cold by getting a better set of gloves and a lap apron (even tho I'm still not sure I like the way it looks). Only if that doesn't work will I look into battery operated electronic heating devices.

Thank you, Dooglas!
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Come to Boston in January and then we can talk about cold. :D A nice pair of gloves and some think clothing should be enough for SF.
La

Post by La »

For me, bulking up with layers feels just like it sounds. Wearing heated gloves and a vest feels like a hug. I can go either way but prefer the hug.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

sfchorus wrote:LOL - I specialize in coming up with amazingly complex solutions to really simple problems. Funny you picked up on that. I will begin tackling my problem with the cold by getting a better set of gloves and a lap apron (even tho I'm still not sure I like the way it looks). Only if that doesn't work will I look into battery operated electronic heating devices.

Thank you, Dooglas!
I was going to basically say what Dooglas said. I get cold easily, so I understand the situation.

For gloves, make sure you have a waterproof (not water-resistant) non-ventilated pair, since it sounds like part of the reason you get cold is the fog permeating everything when you ride. Get a pair of silk glove liners for warmth... they are cheap and work well. The key about staying warm while riding is layers, layers.

If you don't have a waterproof jacket, get one. You can probably get gear meant for cold weather riding at sale prices right now, since it's at summer's hottest (most places). Make sure you have a jacket that either is totally waterproof on the outside OR has a removable waterproof rain liner... having a mesh vented jacket with a removable fleece liner and riding through a bunch of fog will just leave everything wet. Add some good boots with good socks and you should be golden.

As for lap covers, I prefer Tucano Urbano, because it is one that attaches to the bike, not the rider, and while the bike is parked it will keep most of the bike dry and covered for you... no wet butt when you return! It is waterproof on the outside and fake fur-lined on the inside and REALLY helps to keep the lower half/front of you warm and protected from rain and wind. But some people would rather have an apron that attaches to them, it's personal preference, so do some research. If you are interested in the Tucano for your Buddy... they are made with Vespas in mind, but I figured out a while back that the model R-151 will fit the Buddy just right.

This is a photo of my old Tucano on my last Buddy (note, this is not the R-151, but the only difference between the models is how they attach to the bike... it will look and function essentially the same).

IMG_1352 by Luna-P, on Flickr
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Just like everyone else, I suppose I could just 'pick on' you saying it's cold in the middle of the summer where here in Pennsylvania I've been seeing upper 90's to 100* Eh gads I dislike hot weather! I looked at your local weather, I suppose I may feel chilly too in that.....
As others have stated, layering is the trick, you can shed and re-add layers as the day progresses. Also on the outside something that will be wind proof or at least wind resistant, it is the wind chill created by your speed that sweeps the warmth away from you.
I keep an old nylon army PT suit in my pet carrier, it does a pretty decent job as rain wear as well......
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s? That is perfect riding weather!

If you are having problems retaining heat and a hoodie under a riding jacket isn't enough, then i would second the tucano urbano.

-duo
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
sfchorus

Post by sfchorus »

jonlink wrote:Come to Boston in January and then we can talk about cold. :D A nice pair of gloves and some think clothing should be enough for SF.
Um, thanks but I dunno about riding in Boston. Is it true that people drive really aggressively over there? I'm still something of a spaz on my bike so I don't think I'd survive that, cold or no cold.
sfchorus

Post by sfchorus »

La wrote:For me, bulking up with layers feels just like it sounds. Wearing heated gloves and a vest feels like a hug. I can go either way but prefer the hug.
I like the sound of a wearable hug :-) I'll try the layers first, but am sure I'll find my way towards wearable hugs in the winter even if we don't get snow here.
sfchorus

Post by sfchorus »

I was going to basically say what Dooglas said. I get cold easily, so I understand the situation.

IMG_1352 by Luna-P, on Flickr[/quote]

Thank you, Luna P! Silk glove liners sound BRILLIANT! I'm definitely going to get that. And yes, my armored jacket is waterproof, windproof and I love it. It came with a thick inner lining that I swapped out for my down jacket (warmer than the lining). About the Tocano, how does that behave in the wind? It gets quite gusty here in the afternoons so how would you keep the fabric from blowing all over the place and blocking your view?

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response!
Last edited by sfchorus on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sfchorus

Post by sfchorus »

KABarash wrote:Just like everyone else, I suppose I could just 'pick on' you saying it's cold in the middle of the summer where here in Pennsylvania I've been seeing upper 90's to 100* Eh gads I dislike hot weather! I looked at your local weather, I suppose I may feel chilly too in that.....
As others have stated, layering is the trick, you can shed and re-add layers as the day progresses. Also on the outside something that will be wind proof or at least wind resistant, it is the wind chill created by your speed that sweeps the warmth away from you.
I keep an old nylon army PT suit in my pet carrier, it does a pretty decent job as rain wear as well......

LOL - thaks for not picking on me KABarash! I'm a wimp when it comes to cold weather, I freely admit it! I feel like I already have a lot of layers on but will add a couple more pieces (like the glove liners and maybe an apron). Thank you again!
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

sfchorus wrote: About the Tocano, how does that behave in the wind? It gets quite gusty here in the afternoons so how would you keep the fabric from blowing all over the place and blocking your view?
They are strapped down low, and they have air bladders that inflate and keep the sides from blowing around. They really are pretty slick. Also, you can use them to ride with a skirt/kilt without having to worry about exposing more than you mean to.

-duo
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
sfchorus

Post by sfchorus »

SYMbionic Duo wrote::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s? That is perfect riding weather!

If you are having problems retaining heat and a hoodie under a riding jacket isn't enough, then i would second the tucano urbano.

-duo
I'm glad I made SOMEBODY laugh :-) Yes, I'm definitely trying the tucano! Thank you!
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

sfchorus wrote:
Thank you, Luna P! Silk glove liners sound BRILLIANT! I'm definitely going to get that. And yes, my armored jacket is waterproof, windproof and I love it. It came with a thick inner lining that I swapped out for my down jacket (warmer than the lining). About the Tocano, how does that behave in the wind? It gets quite gusty here in the afternoons so how would you keep the fabric from blowing all over the place and blocking your view?

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response!

No problem! The Tucano is actually somewhat heavy, it does not flop around at all. It connects to the bike in three places in the front (I circled them in red) and then there's the other end (circled yellow). The other end has a little pocket where there's an extra length of just nylon, waterproof material edged with elastic... when parked, you can pull the elastic over the back end of your seat and keep all the rain or whatever off of your seat. Also attached to the end are two straps, meant so that you can clip them together behind your head and it really does become like an apron, because it covers the front of you as well as your lap and legs; however, I very often rode without attaching that because I either didn't need it or it was a might too warm or I just didn't feel like messing with it.

The Tucano also has a few other neat perks, like a metal ring so that you can run your chain through it and nobody can steal it off of your bike, and the bottom edges of the two sides (near the floorboards) has two pockets with a nozzle which you blow into and inflate; this keeps the sides stiff and the space under it sheltered while you aren't on the bike and help the thing stay aerodynamic and do its job properly when you are. Tucano Urbano is an Italian gear company... you'll have to order online, as I haven't yet found a place in the States that stocks their stuff... but it's very good quality, made for people that ride daily and up to the wear and tear and the weather. They know their shite when it comes to gear.

I find them easily on eBay, but there is also this UK site. They aren't cheap, but very much worth it if you are commuting often and have to deal with weather frequently. FYI, Tucano also makes handlebar muffs that fit the Buddy, you might consider those for your hand-warmth issue. Glad to have helped at all :)

EDIT: forgot to include the pic :oops:
6420919745_b76bdc33a1_o by Luna-P, on Flickr
sfchorus

Post by sfchorus »

LunaP wrote:
sfchorus wrote:
s
I find them easily on eBay, but there is also this UK site. They aren't cheap, but very much worth it if you are commuting often and have to deal with weather frequently. FYI, Tucano also makes handlebar muffs that fit the Buddy, you might consider those for your hand-warmth issue. Glad to have helped at all :)

EDIT: forgot to include the pic :oops:Image
6420919745_b76bdc33a1_o by Luna-P, on Flickr
LunaP, thanks for understanding about the cold. Commuting via Buddy over the past two months has been a blast, but the cold was really getting to me. I appreciate your taking the time to explain how the apron works! I will order one for sure, now.

I hope you have a lovely evening...

Fiona
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

You should also consider a windscreen if you don't already have one. That will redirect the cold air away from you quite a bit.

Yes, SF can be cold. Actually, I really miss the fog.... but it's easy to say that now that I live in San Diego. I sure wish I'd have thought to buy a scooter when I lived there :)
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

misterbrackets wrote:You should also consider a windscreen if you don't already have one. That will redirect the cold air away from you quite a bit.

Yes, SF can be cold. Actually, I really miss the fog.... but it's easy to say that now that I live in San Diego. I sure wish I'd have thought to buy a scooter when I lived there :)
+1
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

sfchorus wrote:
jonlink wrote:Come to Boston in January and then we can talk about cold. :D A nice pair of gloves and some think clothing should be enough for SF.
Um, thanks but I dunno about riding in Boston. Is it true that people drive really aggressively over there? I'm still something of a spaz on my bike so I don't think I'd survive that, cold or no cold.
People do drive like a-holes, but that's *usually* more trouble for people on bicycles. Also, half the roads look like they've been bombed, so there's little in the way of smooth riding.

Come to think of it, don't come to Boston! :wink:

I think most of the layering and windscreen suggestions here are good. I'd be worried about heated grips killing the batteries and heated gloves just seem like an expensive pain.
La

Post by La »

I use the battery stuff, batteries always charging in laundry room. What pain like qualities they have are made up for by the pleasantness of having the movement that layers take away. I usually go with layers. But, when I am wondering if it is too cold, I use the heated and am quite happy. Silk liners always under heated gloves to mitigate temp changes. I have an extra layer and a pair of chemical heaters in the scoot, just in case. The possibility of being cold puts at risk my desire to scoot. If you are a fan of the heated mattress warmer, heated blanket not the same, then you will probably like the heated gear. If not, then not.

I know that windshields are helpful, but I continue to hold out. If I were to get one, I would want one that also covers the hands. I do have hand guards on one scoot and they work well to deflect the cold wind.
Oparu

Post by Oparu »

I'm another Bostonian and ride all year round. In the winter, I wear layers and when it's really cold, a down jacket does the trick. Eddie Bauer usually has down vests, jackets, coats, etc.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

misterbrackets wrote:...
One of my most memorable motorcycle rides was through the Balboa Park area in really dense fog at about 2 a.m. It was so surreal! Like riding on another planet.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

Man, N GA is having a freakishly mild Summer. I think we've seen a total of 3 days that broke 90'F. And it's August. EVERY day should be breaking 90'F. Most nights are clocking in the high 60's-mid 70's. I tell ya, the global warming guys better start cooking up some new excuses quick..........

~SM
Rob

Post by Rob »

It's been a wonderful Chicago summer thus far, well for the most part. Right now we're in a very nice run of high 70's/low 80's during the day and 60's at night. Ideal riding weather for me.

Unfortunately I'll be spending next week down in the Houston area. High 90's/low 100's on a daily basis with jungle like humidity (at least it seems that way to me).

Give me a few months and I'll be bitchin' about the cold weather and worse yet snow. I have a very narrow comfort zone when it comes to temps and humidity levels.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

For cold hands, I've found the most economical option is "Hippo Hands" or the like. Solved all my problems riding in below-freezing weather a few years ago! Now they are a winter staple for my commute!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Sassy Chassis

Post by Sassy Chassis »

Rob wrote: Unfortunately I'll be spending next week down in the Houston area. High 90's/low 100's on a daily basis with jungle like humidity (at least it seems that way to me).
With the heat index more like 110. You will step outside and feel as if your face will melt off. Get on a bike and you will feel like you are in a blast furnace! :wha:

It's not a good time for riding right now, or to be outside in general. Give us a couple months and we'll be back to near-perfect.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Sassy Chassis wrote:
Rob wrote: Unfortunately I'll be spending next week down in the Houston area. High 90's/low 100's on a daily basis with jungle like humidity (at least it seems that way to me).
With the heat index more like 110. You will step outside and feel as if your face will melt off. Get on a bike and you will feel like you are in a blast furnace! :wha:

It's not a good time for riding right now, or to be outside in general. Give us a couple months and we'll be back to near-perfect.
I'm looking forward to my monthly visits this winter. I generally head down to Houston on Monday mornings and head back on Friday. I'm already thinking I might want to hang around for the weekends when it's 0 to 10 degrees back in Chicago.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright