Deciding on my first scooter Buddy125/Like/SYM

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Danielm

Deciding on my first scooter Buddy125/Like/SYM

Post by Danielm »

So like many other people here I got sucked into the idea that scooters were $500 after looking at eBay. Then I started reading, and reading and after a bit more reading saw just about every horror story on lack of reliability imaginable and how I should learn to be a mechanic, etc. With that I put the idea of a Chinese scooter out of my mind.

I did get my class M license recently through the MSC so I'm looking above a 50cc, I'm 5'11" and around 195-200 lbs. I don't want to ride it on highways, I'm walking distance from work so mostly just around town, to the gym, visit local friends so I don't need anything too big but I don't want to get stuck wide open throttle doing 40 either, so a 125 sounds like a good size.

I started looking at the Lance/SYM Havana 125, I like the look of it, the price is great, 2 year warranty. $2400 out the door at the local dealer.

I'm also looking at the Genuine Buddy 125, being the Modern Buddy forum I don't have to preach to the choir about all the great reviews I've seen of the buddy. The price is a little higher, love the look of it, current promotion has it with an extended 3 year warranty and good financing terms. $3100 total at the local dealer.

Then today the dealer suggested I also look at the Kymco Like 200i, I haven't looked into this one as much, I like the look on this too but not crazy about the rear trunk but from what I've read its the only decent storage on there. Same price as the Buddy at $3100 total. I know it isn't actually 200cc so I imagine it is pretty close performance wise to the buddy. Is it even worth looking at this at the same price as the Buddy?

I won't be able to get to the dealer for a few weeks so I want to go in as educated as possible. Anyone have any opinions on the choices between the 3 models taking reliability and cost into consideration? Is the Buddy worth the extra 700 over the Sym?

The dealer was quick to point out that the Lance/Sym models are more starter level scooters and are priced accordingly, keep in mind they are also a Vespa dealer so I think price is relative.

Thanks!
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

In my mind there are 'Tiers' of bikes.

Chinese < "High End" Chinese < Taiwanese < Japanese

The entry level Sym bikes are "High End" Chinese, Same with the entry level Kymco's to my knowledge.

The Buddy is made in Taiwan.

The Buddy 125 is know for being a Fast 125, Faster than some other manufacturers 150's even.

I know two people with the Like 200i's, They seem slower than the Buddy 150.

You should go and sit on every bike in their showroom, Take test rides if they will let you. Find the bike that's comfortable for you. To me that's the important thing, You want a bike that won't hurt you to ride.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I'm 6' with a 32" inseam. The like's angled floorboard is annoying.
easy

Post by easy »

Kymco agility scooter is a good scooter for the money and the new fly with the 3 valve head would be worth looking at also.
what did you trade the day for?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

easy wrote:Kymco agility scooter is a good scooter for the money and the new fly with the 3 valve head would be worth looking at also.
Yes, the new Piaggio Fly 3V is definitely worth adding to the list for consideration. Excellent value and a broad dealer network. (though, for all that, if I wanted best bang for the buck - I'd search CraigsList for a good used Buddy :wink: )
Syd

Post by Syd »

I have had two SYM scoots: the HD200 and the Fiddle II. The HD200 is a fantastic scoot. the Fiddle is a good scoot. The Buddy, in my subjective opinion, is almost as good as the HD200. The Lance models should be similar to the Fiddle II.

If you keep your choice between the Lance and the Buddy, save the money and buy the Buddy.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

$3100 out the door for a new buddy125cc? first, where the heck do you live and, second, why didn't you buy it on the spot? :)
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
Danielm

Post by Danielm »

Is 3100 really good? They are 2799 MSRP? I'm just not familiar with the markup for prep and shipping and such.

I've looked at the Fly and the Agility, I like the lines of the other scooters more though. I know looks aren't supposed to be everything I do like certain styles more than others.

As for used, I've been combing craigslist daily for months and never find much in the way of good deals. I've never seen a Buddy 125 on there for a reasonable price, most of the scooters there seem like they are asking more than new which is just silly. I've seen Chinese scooters on CL asking 2K, used, when the exact model is $1200 shipped to your door brand new. After I couldn't find anything reasonable there, and warranty is something that I would like, I figured I'd finance something for a little more money and just go for a higher quality scooter through a dealer.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

the base price is $2799, so that means your dealer is only charging you $300 for prep and all taxes and licensing. are you sure the quoted price of $3100 includes your state taxes and registration? that's usually what 'out the door' price means. make sure you and the dealer are on the same page.

and yes, i know what you mean about people placing waaay too high of a price on their scooters. if you're truly interested in one of those, contact the seller, go in armed with your info (computer print outs may be helpful), let them know they're way high based on kbb and/or nada for used scooters. see what happens. also, if interested, take cash for the scoot. flashing those benjamins can have a wonderous effect. :)

above all, NO TITLE IN HAND (WITH MATCHING VIN NUMBER) = NO CASH.
Danielm

Post by Danielm »

scullyfu wrote:
above all, NO TITLE IN HAND (WITH MATCHING VIN NUMBER) = NO CASH.
I'll have to make sure that includes taxes, thanks! He did say "out the door price" so hopefully it doesn't mean out his door into the door for the tax and registration guy hah.

RE: the above quote. I saw one on CL the other day where the guy didn't have a title and the ignition was wired to a switch instead of a key but he assures everyone it isn't stolen and don't worry.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

I'm not too sure about the Sym/Lance. But I can give you a good comparison between the Like and the Buddy. My girlfriend has a Buddy 125, I have a Like 200i (163i). Both are fine scooters and are very dependable. I've got over 8,000 miles on the Like with no issues whatsoever. She just passed 1,000 on the Buddy. Here are the main differences between the two:

Buddy Pros:
3 year warranty w/ road side assistance.
Easy Easy Easy to ride.
Great gas milage (90ish).
Lots of accessories available.
Comfortable seat.
Kick start (The like is FI, does not have one).
Super easy to work on, the panels are simple to remove.

Buddy Cons:
To add a top case or milk crate you have to also get the rear rack (keep the extra cost in mind).
You being 5'11" I'd say it's really too small to ride 2UP.
Rear drum brake is not that great, but no drum brake is compared to a disc.
Very inaccurate speedo.
Non adjustable single rear suspension.

Like Pros:
2 year warranty.
Lots of storage, glove box, top case, pet carrier (pet carrier is not as large as the Buddys, but really not by much.
Larger/wider tires offer better handling at high speeds/high winds.
Fuel injected!!! It's slightly faster than the buddy, both have around the same top speed 60, but the likes mid range power is fun on a bun.
Larger seat and slightly more power make it good for 2UP riding.
Very accurate speedo.
Comes with a rear rack and top case (although I remove mine and use a milk crate if I plan on packing lots of stuff, like camping supplies).
Enclosed glove box w/ power outlet (keeps your phone safe while charging).
3 preset adjustable dual rear suspension (good for riding 2up).

Like Cons:
Not really a con, i'm 200lbs and I get around 75mpg, just not as good as the Buddy.
Seat can be uncomfortable (the "hump" between the suggested front and rear passenger area is hard, so you have to either sit in front, or like me being 6', sit behind it), you can get it redone for around $100 and add memory foam to the top.
Plastic panels are sometimes puzzling to remove to do some maintenance.
Some panels don't feel as solid as the Buddy, as long as you don't lay it down it shouldn't be a problem.
Not as many available accessories as the Buddy.

All in all you can't go wrong with either. The Like has a few more standard features the benefit if you plan on any 2UP riding. The buddy with a smaller frame and smaller tires is just more fun to ride. I'd suggest spending a good amount of time sitting on each one and deciding which is more comfortable. People complain about the Likes ergonomics, I'm 6' and sit to the rear of my seat with my legs fully extended resting on the front, vertical portion of the leg shield (chopper style i suppose), it's very comfortable. We do often switch scoots on rides, she likes the heavier weight of the Like when riding at high speeds, I like the zippyness of the Buddy.

You know what? You should just get both!

Hope this helps!

IMG_0833 by documbie, on Flickr

IMG_0433 by documbie, on Flickr
Danielm

Post by Danielm »

Great comparison, thanks! I'll have to spend awhile sitting on a few different ones at the dealer, I'm sure they see that enough anyway.
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

Danielm wrote:finance something
Worst idea ever!

Selecting a mainland China scoot would probably be preferable to putting yourself into financial servitude.
Danielm

Post by Danielm »

tortoise wrote:
Worst idea ever!

Selecting a mainland China scoot would probably be preferable to putting yourself into financial servitude.
I know what you're saying, I do have very little debt, the car is paid off, I don't put a lot of things on credit or anything like that. I just paid a lot of my wife's school tuition and if I can get sub 2% and pay it off quickly I'm not really too concerned about it. I could wait longer and save up the money but since my wife is gone a lot of the week at school and I don't have a 2nd car the scooter could be very useful sooner rather than later.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

tortoise wrote:Selecting a mainland China scoot would probably be preferable to putting yourself into financial servitude.
I agree with the perspective of avoiding the additional cost of financing. I don't agree that would be the reason to purchase a scooter that is not what you want or is a bad choice for you. If you can't afford new, then consider used. There are good, reliable bikes out there.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

tortoise wrote:
Worst idea ever!

everyone's situation is different, of course. if you have crappy credit, you are going to pay a higher interest rate, so financing may not be a good way to go. but if you have good credit and you can afford it, financing (especially a new genuine scoot at 1.99% for 3 years) with no balloon payment penalty is a pretty sweet deal, imo. and if you can put some money up front and not finance the entire price, its a *really* sweet deal.
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

scullyfu wrote:financing (especially a new genuine scoot at 1.99% for 3 years) with no balloon payment penalty is a pretty sweet deal
Submitting yourself to a financial "ball & chain" is NEVER a "sweet deal"! So many scooter riders seem to be in denial about the actual calculated risks. Mishaps can occur anywhere/anytime, and JUST the co-pay amount for ambulance transport and emergency room costs can be very expensive. Depending on the circumstances, you (or your estate) may also have to make payments on a mangled financed scooter.
Danielm

Post by Danielm »

I didn't really expect this to become a financial thread. But for the record, I have the money in an emergency fund, this isn't an emergency. Paying it off at 1.9% in most likely less than a year isn't a huge threat and I'd prefer to keep the savings for emergencies at the moment.

It's not that I don't respect your opinion on financing, I do understand the risks and what interest adds to a loan but this is a small, short term amount with a low % rate so I'm OK with my decision.

Now, back to more fun discussions like scooters, hah.
Syd

Post by Syd »

tortoise wrote:
Worst idea ever!

I also agree with the no loan sentiment, but I would instead say it would be better to save your pennies until you have enough cash to get the right scoot.

The fact that some people have had good luck with a ChinaScoot does not negate the fact that thousands have not.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

tortoise wrote:
scullyfu wrote:financing (especially a new genuine scoot at 1.99% for 3 years) with no balloon payment penalty is a pretty sweet deal
Submitting yourself to a financial "ball & chain" is NEVER a "sweet deal"! So many scooter riders seem to be in denial about the actual calculated risks. Mishaps can occur anywhere/anytime, and JUST the co-pay amount for ambulance transport and emergency room costs can be very expensive. Depending on the circumstances, you (or your estate) may also have to make payments on a mangled financed scooter.

that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. just as i am mine and others have their own. gonna just have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

whatever way you go, danielm, have fun on your scoot!
TVB

Post by TVB »

I avoid financing as much as I can. I've only borrowed money to buy a vehicle once, and that was when I'd just started my first real job and my aged car (a graduation present) died on me. I've paid cash for every vehicle since then.

But financing a relatively small expense such as a scooter is not "putting yourself into financial servitude", Tortoise. Yes, it'll cost more than paying cash, but making a hefty down payment and borrowing only the part you don't have yet, then paying it off as quickly as you can, probably isn't going to cost a lot and won't take that much time. And you end up with the bike you actually want.

Save up first if you have time and patience. But don't avoid a small short-term loan just because you're paranoid about student loan debts and 30-year mortgages.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

financial: 2%..meh. esp. if you can pay half of that right away. So it costs $150 over 2 years? who cares?

The rest:

Depending on your area you might find a lot of other deals too. Sadly Kymco no longer makes the People 150, but if you can find one, in a color that doesn't make your eyes bleed, they are great machines.

An older honda, etc, also good options.

Good luck and have fun!
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

Danielm - in what part of the country are you located? uShip.com makes it possible to "buy away" from where you live and get affordable shipping to your location. I am having a motorcycle delivered to me from a bit over 600 miles away for $250'ish. So it is possible that you can find yourself a good used Buddy that isn't next door and still come out well ahead of the all-up costs of buying new. Just a thought! :)
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

tortoise wrote:Submitting yourself to a financial "ball & chain" is NEVER a "sweet deal"! So many scooter riders seem to be in denial about the actual calculated risks. Mishaps can occur anywhere/anytime, and JUST the co-pay amount for ambulance transport and emergency room costs can be very expensive. Depending on the circumstances, you (or your estate) may also have to make payments on a mangled financed scooter.
While I agree with your point about avoiding financing, I don't buy your arguments. Healthcare costs such as ambulance and emergency room are the same whether you finance or pay cash. Presuming you insure the bike (I personally would not ride without insurance), the collision/comprehensive coverage would essentially pay off the loan in the event of theft or major damage (minus deductable).
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

have more fun, ride a buddy

i like to link this youtube review. pretty good overall look, and it really is all you need for what sounds like your purposes. around town as you can see it is capable. you are a good height and weight for it, the floor is a bit tight for my size 13's, however. some would say if you have bad roads take into account the smaller 10in wheels of the Buddy. its said by many 12in are more stable and smoother riding. as a rider on both size wheels on all kinds of pavement i can say stability and ride quality varies day to day and scoot to scoot. IOW its six of one half a dozen of another. these are scooters. the 10in wheels of the Buddy after some experience riding are no less stable then the 12in wheels of any other scooter

watch them potholes, though :wink:

i also want to make mention of Buddy's under seat storage. this is something not to be taken for granted imo. i will not get a scooter without for practical day to day or regular use. Buddy has nice under seat storage while the other two scooters have negligible space. and you can get a GENUBIN like this and turn the compartment on the leg shield into something neat and practical

and as others have stated lot's of accessories and aftermarket stuff for the Buddy is around, too. 3 year warranty, roadside assistance....i should not have to try this hard!!! :hit: :P

the other two scooters have their pros and cons as well. and those great comparo picks with the Like show well the difference in size and style. but man, it's Modern Buddy forum, right? i just have to be biased! and why not? take a look

ride a Buddy....have more FUN! :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0pNddc6PKIg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Riding is riding
HunterRose

Post by HunterRose »

CapnK wrote:Danielm - in what part of the country are you located? uShip.com makes it possible to "buy away" from where you live and get affordable shipping to your location. I am having a motorcycle delivered to me from a bit over 600 miles away for $250'ish. So it is possible that you can find yourself a good used Buddy that isn't next door and still come out well ahead of the all-up costs of buying new. Just a thought! :)
I am also in the Scooter market. I have been looking at used scooters. The uship option sounds reasonable but, i guess I would be afraid to buy something that I couldn't see first in person. i would also be afraid of getting ripped off when dealing from a distance.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Dooglas wrote:
tortoise wrote:Submitting yourself to a financial "ball & chain" is NEVER a "sweet deal"! So many scooter riders seem to be in denial about the actual calculated risks. Mishaps can occur anywhere/anytime, and JUST the co-pay amount for ambulance transport and emergency room costs can be very expensive. Depending on the circumstances, you (or your estate) may also have to make payments on a mangled financed scooter.
While I agree with your point about avoiding financing, I don't buy your arguments. Healthcare costs such as ambulance and emergency room are the same whether you finance or pay cash. Presuming you insure the bike (I personally would not ride without insurance), the collision/comprehensive coverage would essentially pay off the loan in the event of theft or major damage (minus deductable).
Exactly. These half-remembered, half-understood arguments that tortoise is regurgitating make no sense. Even if you didn't have insurance and needed to finish paying for it after it's been wrecked, that isn't an additional risk due to financing. You have to pay for the whole bike either way. The fact that you're paying for a bike you can't use anymore just makes that scenario sad ... not a financial danger.
Danielm

Post by Danielm »

I'm in eastern PA. It not that decent used scooters never go up for sale, just the ones that I see are usually nearly or above the price of new. I looked into a few Vino 125s, reasonable mileage and decent condition but 2000+ for a 6-7 year old scooter when you can get a brand new one (not a Yamaha) for a little more isn't really too exciting. For example, there is a Buddy 170 on CL now for 4000 used, sure it comes with some gear and low miles but it's also $650 above new MSRP.

I'm supposed to go to the dealer on Saturday, very excited, it's a scooter only place too so there should be a lot to check out. The other dealer that is much closer is a large powersports place where there are a couple Vespas and Hondas tucked in a corner and if you go to look at them you are on your own.
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

HunterRose wrote:I am also in the Scooter market. I have been looking at used scooters. The uship option sounds reasonable but, i guess I would be afraid to buy something that I couldn't see first in person. i would also be afraid of getting ripped off when dealing from a distance.
You are right in being cautious, but at the same time and IMCO, there are deals to be had if you are smart about trusting people. *Most* people are generally good. You can tell a lot by their activity in enthusiast Forums like this one. There are many people on here who I would not have a qualm about buying from; it is obvious that they have a similar passion, and enjoy being a part of this Community, sometimes for the past several years - they are not likely to do something for a relatively small amount of money (when it comes down to it) that is going to get them ostracized. And most people have an online presence other than the Forum where you can get a good idea of whether or not they are the kind of folks you'd like to deal with.

Pictures online are generally optimistic of what something looks like in real life, BUT enough and/or nice, close-up pictures will give you a better idea of what to expect. Video can be even better.

So would I here in SC buy a scoot from you in MN based on a Craigslist ad posted w/the 4 little pics they allow and a few emails? Probably not! :) But if you had been here on MB for a while, and I saw pics of your ride and could read a history of postings you'd made, I would have a much better idea about what I was buying and who I was buying from, and so it would be a different scenario. :)
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Danielm wrote: I'm supposed to go to the dealer on Saturday, very excited, it's a scooter only place too so there should be a lot to check out. The other dealer that is much closer is a large powersports place where there are a couple Vespas and Hondas tucked in a corner and if you go to look at them you are on your own.
I LOVE powersports places! That's where I found my Like, the great thing about those places and scooters, they have no idea what to do with them and usually like to just get rid of them. My Like was posted on craigslist by a PS place for 2,900, it was a 2012 with 2k miles on it, sold less than 6 months prior (so it was still under a transferrable warranty). Being as they weren't a Kymco dealer and it was traded in they were more than eager to get rid of it. I low balled it at 2,200 (400 under msrp) and they bit. My girlfriend got her buddy for a steal at a PS place, last October we found her 09 buddy 125 brand new, still sitting on the showroom floor with -3 miles. They also had some 170i's for 2,700. They had also advertised hers on craigslist for around 2,300, she was going to pay in cash, I told her to call them and offer them 1,900 in cash and we could be there tomorrow, they also bit but said 2,000 was as low as they could go. So we did.

I'm sure we just got lucky, but it's true power sports places like to have a scooter or two in stock just to offer, but in reality they don't make $$$ on scooter sales and would rather move inventory. From my experience scooter dealers are firm on their price, unless it's used.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

BeefSupreme wrote:
Danielm wrote: I'm supposed to go to the dealer on Saturday, very excited, it's a scooter only place too so there should be a lot to check out. The other dealer that is much closer is a large powersports place where there are a couple Vespas and Hondas tucked in a corner and if you go to look at them you are on your own.
I LOVE powersports places! That's where I found my Like, the great thing about those places and scooters, they have no idea what to do with them and usually like to just get rid of them. My Like was posted on craigslist by a PS place for 2,900, it was a 2012 with 2k miles on it, sold less than 6 months prior (so it was still under a transferrable warranty). Being as they weren't a Kymco dealer and it was traded in they were more than eager to get rid of it. I low balled it at 2,200 (400 under msrp) and they bit. My girlfriend got her buddy for a steal at a PS place, last October we found her 09 buddy 125 brand new, still sitting on the showroom floor with -3 miles. They also had some 170i's for 2,700. They had also advertised hers on craigslist for around 2,300, she was going to pay in cash, I told her to call them and offer them 1,900 in cash and we could be there tomorrow, they also bit but said 2,000 was as low as they could go. So we did.

I'm sure we just got lucky, but it's true power sports places like to have a scooter or two in stock just to offer, but in reality they don't make $$$ on scooter sales and would rather move inventory. From my experience scooter dealers are firm on their price, unless it's used.
I'm hoping to take advantage of this phenomenon shopping for a bigger scoot for my sister.
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

JHScoot wrote:watch them potholes
Worst case example (Kymco Agility 50).
Danielm

Post by Danielm »

I didn't think of the powersports place just being so not into scooters that they'd dump them below market value. I just called and they only have 1 used scooter, a 125 Honda PCX, great scooter I'm sure just not my style.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Danielm wrote:I didn't think of the powersports place just being so not into scooters that they'd dump them below market value. I just called and they only have 1 used scooter, a 125 Honda PCX, great scooter I'm sure just not my style.
They're definitely hit or miss. If it's a honda place, sure bet they'll be selling their brand at msrp, or at a premium price, but brands they don't normally carry or supply parts for you can usually get a deal. I looked at a PCX too, love all the bells and whistles (parking brake!) but it was a little cramped for me. I wish the leg room had another 5" to it. Just for the fun of it I looked up the place where my GF got her 125 buddy, and they still have some new 170i's listed for 2,999, well below msrp. Feel like making a trip to Decatur Alabama??? Just kidding, I hope you find the scooter you really love, it seems like you've narrowed it down to some fine choices, it's deciding which one fits best now. Good luck.
HunterRose

Post by HunterRose »

CapnK wrote:
HunterRose wrote:I am also in the Scooter market. I have been looking at used scooters. The uship option sounds reasonable but, i guess I would be afraid to buy something that I couldn't see first in person. i would also be afraid of getting ripped off when dealing from a distance.
You are right in being cautious, but at the same time and IMCO, there are deals to be had if you are smart about trusting people. *Most* people are generally good. You can tell a lot by their activity in enthusiast Forums like this one. There are many people on here who I would not have a qualm about buying from; it is obvious that they have a similar passion, and enjoy being a part of this Community, sometimes for the past several years - they are not likely to do something for a relatively small amount of money (when it comes down to it) that is going to get them ostracized. And most people have an online presence other than the Forum where you can get a good idea of whether or not they are the kind of folks you'd like to deal with.

Pictures online are generally optimistic of what something looks like in real life, BUT enough and/or nice, close-up pictures will give you a better idea of what to expect. Video can be even better.

So would I here in SC buy a scoot from you in MN based on a Craigslist ad posted w/the 4 little pics they allow and a few emails? Probably not! :) But if you had been here on MB for a while, and I saw pics of your ride and could read a history of postings you'd made, I would have a much better idea about what I was buying and who I was buying from, and so it would be a different scenario. :)
You make a good point.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

HunterRose wrote:
CapnK wrote:

You make a good point.
Agreed… for the most part. I know some people who've bought bikes from a distance over the Net, but usually via eBay (which offers some protection) or they flew/drove/took a train out to see something they found on Craigslist and rode it home. Most were people who were well aware of what they were looking at and what they were getting into, though.

I'm shopping for something used and am more cautious, I guess. I won't spend a full day going out to look at something unless I'm fairly sure it's in sound shape. Maybe that's one reason why I've been looking for months.

(Unrelated: Hunter Rose! Nice! You need a Grendel mask avatar!)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Danielm

Post by Danielm »

Update, I'm now the proud owner of a new Buddy 170i! I went there to check out a couple different models, I sat on the Kymco Like and it didn't seem to fit as well as the buddy. The salesperson had me sit on a 170 since it was the same dimension and the 125 and already pulled out. Felt good, what was funny which struck me immediately as since this is my first scooter I wasn't used to not having it between my legs like a motorcycle. Obvious? Hah, sure, but just a different feeling.

Turned out they didn't have a black 125 like I was looking for, my wife started really talking up the oxford green 170. We thought about it for awhile and... well parked outside right now is a new Green Buddy 170, I love it!

Oh, and about the early statements of the cost "out the door", that doesn't include tax, tags and registration. Apparently that is out "their" door, then they send you down the street to pay for all that other stuff

Any suggestions on a lock and a cover?
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

congrats on the new 170i and that green is awesome!
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

Danielm wrote:Any suggestions on a lock and a cover?
At least make an effort to review previous discussions . . example.
Danielm

Post by Danielm »

Thanks, I guess in my moment of excitement I forgot forum protocol and didn't search first.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Danielm wrote:Update, I'm now the proud owner of a new Buddy 170i! I went there to check out a couple different models, I sat on the Kymco Like and it didn't seem to fit as well as the buddy. The salesperson had me sit on a 170 since it was the same dimension and the 125 and already pulled out. Felt good, what was funny which struck me immediately as since this is my first scooter I wasn't used to not having it between my legs like a motorcycle. Obvious? Hah, sure, but just a different feeling.

Turned out they didn't have a black 125 like I was looking for, my wife started really talking up the oxford green 170. We thought about it for awhile and... well parked outside right now is a new Green Buddy 170, I love it!

Oh, and about the early statements of the cost "out the door", that doesn't include tax, tags and registration. Apparently that is out "their" door, then they send you down the street to pay for all that other stuff

Any suggestions on a lock and a cover?
Awesome! Congrats! I'm jealous, I bet that thing hauls. It seems like the best of the Like and the Buddy combined, i've always imagined that the 170i would be like riding my GFs Buddy with my Like's engine in it... Sh#& loads of fun. Don't listen to turtle, he's the local forum nazi, not a moderator. For a lock I personally would suggest a Xena disk alarm lock.

http://www.amazon.com/Xena-XX-6-Motorcy ... =xena+disc

I don't park anywhere without it. It fits my Like good and with proper placement it fits the Buddy. Installed, you can't roll the scooter away and if anyone messes with it the 120db alarm sounds off. When I used to park outside I just got a cheapo $20 motorcycle cover from walmart, might be a little big but it does the job.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Danielm wrote:Thanks, I guess in my moment of excitement I forgot forum protocol and didn't search first.
That's just tortoise's way of saying "Welcome and congratulations!"