My Blur 220 hates the rain

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

My Blur 220 hates the rain

Post by 360 »

I haven't posted here in ages (usually enjoying riding too much), but I have to say upgrading from the OG Blur to the 220 has not come without some new annoyances. It seems way more finicky than my hardy old Blur 150.

Newest annoyance that never seemed to affect the old one is that whenever there's a heavy rain at night, it won't start in the morning. I'll have to wait a number of hours until it dries out. Does anyone else have this problem and know of a way to prevent this?
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

It might work to remove the spark plug boot (easiest to remove the right lower skirt), clean the contact and apply a nice thin film of dielectric grease around the inside of the boot. Made sure that when you put it back on the plug, you get a nice "click" and that the connection is secure. If that doesn't work, make sure that it's somehow not getting too wet under the pet carrier. Please post back with anything else you can add.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
relenger

Post by relenger »

Are you covering the bike at night?? Do you have any mods? Do you leave the bike on its center stand OR side stand? And last, it the bike parked on a level surface?

Post by 360 »

Thanks for the suggestion, Rippinyarn, maybe I'll try that out.

Relenger, no I don't typically cover my bike unless I know it's gonna snow a lot, but I might have to start doing that now if I know it'll rain. No mods. And it's always on the center stand on a level surface (in Chicago it would take considerable work to find a surface that ISN'T level).
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I've also noticed that the battery in the Blur must be at it's best at all times. Even a slight voltage drop will result in cranking and cranking but no actual starting. I've tried starting fluid, warming the engine externally and the only things that changed the situation was a new battery, occasional battery tender use (if I'm only riding it short distances) and a brand new spark plug and attention to that cable connection. Maybe throw it on the charger from time to time? It doesn't take long on a Battery Tender charger and the intelligent lights can tell you pretty quick the state of the charge of the battery. Good luck -
Rovers SC
relenger

Post by relenger »

Rippinyarn wrote:I've also noticed that the battery in the Blur must be at it's best at all times. Even a slight voltage drop will result in cranking and cranking but no actual starting. I've tried starting fluid, warming the engine externally and the only things that changed the situation was a new battery, occasional battery tender use (if I'm only riding it short distances) and a brand new spark plug and attention to that cable connection. Maybe throw it on the charger from time to time? It doesn't take long on a Battery Tender charger and the intelligent lights can tell you pretty quick the state of the charge of the battery. Good luck -
That is strange! Mine started in the middle of winter with a battery that was on its last crank(engine wouldn't make it another turn) it did start and I let it run for 15mins to bring up the charge. Sounds like something is going bad. Maybe a connection or coil pack? I think I would do a resistance check on the coil pack if you have a multi-meter. If you don't have one you could pull the plug when it wont start and check for spark.
relenger

Post by relenger »

360 wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, Rippinyarn, maybe I'll try that out.

Relenger, no I don't typically cover my bike unless I know it's gonna snow a lot, but I might have to start doing that now if I know it'll rain. No mods. And it's always on the center stand on a level surface (in Chicago it would take considerable work to find a surface that ISN'T level).

In your situation I would open the airbox and remove the filter and spray in some starting fluid the next time it wont start. If it attempts to start then your getting spark and no fuel. If it don't try to start then I would check spark then come back to fuel once spark is good. Remember, a engine needs fuel and spark. After you have determined you have those move on to timing.
relenger

Post by relenger »

Did you get it fixed?
claygone

Post by claygone »

I spoke to the mechanic in the Boston area, they said it might be the starter coil. I am having the same problem. They are going to replace that to try and fix it.
relenger

Post by relenger »

Did you get this issue fixed?
claygone

Post by claygone »

The replacement of the starter coil fixed the problem. Hopefully that will help you.

Post by 360 »

Sorry, i've been in Europe the past month for work (poor me, right?)

It hasn't happened since i've been back, but if it does it's nice to hear some of these ideas and solutions. The battery always seemed fine so I started wondering if water was getting into the gas tank since it doesn't seem like such an air-tight cap (I don't know if that would even have such a temporary effect).
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Check that there is a rubber gasket on the lid part of the gas flap. I've ridden through some pretty substantial rain and never had a problem with water in the tank.

Make sure that the connection of the wire to the plug is a good one, stick some dilectric grease in there and maybe spray a little WD40 on the lead and coil (which is a little low in the chassis, IMHO) and then start it up and turn the sprinker on... gentle rain like, not fire hose :P and tell us what happens.
Rovers SC