Amerivespa 2013: Ride from LA to San Diego

Info on scooter gatherings of all types & sizes

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Amerivespa 2013: Ride from LA to San Diego

Post by ericalm »

Los Angeles Scooter Group is planning a large group ride from LA to San Diego for Amerivespa. Details forthcoming but we've posted the ride to our Meetup page. Further details will be announced there:

http://www.meetup.com/LAScooterGroup/events/100098592/

Tentative plan is riding to SD along the coast on Thursday, then back on Monday via the scenic inland route. We may have an alternate return ride Sunday for those who don't want to stay an extra night.

Due to speed limits on the routes, the ride is for scooters capable of maintaining 60mph indicated speeds.

As well as locals, anyone coming through LA from further out and riding through our fair city en route to the big event is welcome to join.

We prefer that you RSVP via Meetup so we can keep track of who's in. If you prefer not to join Meetup for whatever reason, then just PM me and we'll keep in touch. Please feel free to ask any questions.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
magnato1

Re: Amerivespa 2013: Ride from LA to San Diego

Post by magnato1 »

ericalm wrote:Los Angeles Scooter Group is planning a large group ride from LA to San Diego for Amerivespa. Details forthcoming but we've posted the ride to our Meetup page. Further details will be announced there:

http://www.meetup.com/LAScooterGroup/events/100098592/

Tentative plan is riding to SD along the coast on Thursday, then back on Monday via the scenic inland route. We may have an alternate return ride Sunday for those who don't want to stay an extra night.

Due to speed limits on the routes, the ride is for scooters capable of maintaining 60mph indicated speeds.

As well as locals, anyone coming through LA from further out and riding through our fair city en route to the big event is welcome to join.

We prefer that you RSVP via Meetup so we can keep track of who's in. If you prefer not to join Meetup for whatever reason, then just PM me and we'll keep in touch. Please feel free to ask any questions.

Eric,

You say scooters than can maintain 60 mph. As a Stella owner, do you believe this applies to a Stella 4T, in other words, would I be welcome on the ride or do you think a Stella is too slow?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

That one's a tough call, but it may depend on whether we decide to take the freeway to get past Pendleton. If we do, we'd ride in a pack in the right lane with a slower scooter in front and a support vehicle behind us.

Once we have some of the plans firmed up, I'll have a better answer. Are you planning on attending either way?

I'm not riding my Stella, largely because it won't handle some of the riding I hope to do at the rally (lots of inclines) and it'll be too slow for the inland route back from San Diego via Ortega Hwy.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

Eric,

I haven't made plans at all, but it's still something that I am considering, so don't make plans around me, just wanted to know if I could even consider going with you guys. Sounds like you plan on a quicker pace.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Since we're riding down Thursday and there are events that day, our aim then will be to get down as quick as we reasonably can with the group. That's also why we're considering a longer route back on Monday; we can leave early and take the whole day if anyone wants to do that.

That said, there will be many groups riding down and you may be able to hook up with another.

It'll be an all-day ride on the Stella from SB!
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

I'll be taking my Stella 4T. I've ridden a good amount of miles maintaining 60 mph so I'm confident it can handle it. However, Magnato, I would recommend getting some freeway riding experience before the ride.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

ooh! I wanna bring the buddy 150 :P.
JJTheScooterist

Post by JJTheScooterist »

will it be the wensday before the event, or the thursday? Because I have a friend in LA, who rides a Vespa Lx150 and I'll be meeting up with him to go to AV. I'll be goign around the US, and I'll be coming down from Seattle. i'll check on this as my plans become more solid.
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

rondothemidget wrote:I'll be taking my Stella 4T. I've ridden a good amount of miles maintaining 60 mph so I'm confident it can handle it. However, Magnato, I would recommend getting some freeway riding experience before the ride.
Rondo, is that 60 indicated or real 60? I rode my Stella from Thousand Oaks to Santa Barbara this weekend and went by one of those signs that tells you your speed and when my speedometer said 55 the sign said I was going 50. I can sometimes keep the Stella at 60 indicated, but I don't think it's actually 60.
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

magnato1 wrote:Rondo, is that 60 indicated or real 60? I rode my Stella from Thousand Oaks to Santa Barbara this weekend and went by one of those signs that tells you your speed and when my speedometer said 55 the sign said I was going 50. I can sometimes keep the Stella at 60 indicated, but I don't think it's actually 60.
My speedometer seems to be pretty accurate, for a scooter. I think 60 indicated on my Stella is between 55 & 60, based on the flow of traffic. Mine will comfortably maintain 60 indicated and can go faster, but I keep it around 60.

Are you still running stock tires? I noticed the speed, handling and comfort improved when I put on Heidenau K61s.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Going to be riding my 4T to San Diego in a couple weeks for a Genuine "Family Reunion" Appreciation ride at Motorsport on 3/23. (All Genuine riders welcome!) It'll be interesting to see how it fares. Shopping for a seat pad. :)
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

ericalm wrote:Going to be riding my 4T to San Diego in a couple weeks for a Genuine "Family Reunion" Appreciation ride at Motorsport on 3/23. (All Genuine riders welcome!) It'll be interesting to see how it fares. Shopping for a seat pad. :)
Are you planning on staying down there? Riding down on the 23rd and coming back 3/24?
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

ericalm wrote:Shopping for a seat pad. :)
Airhawk 2, brother!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rondothemidget wrote:
ericalm wrote:Going to be riding my 4T to San Diego in a couple weeks for a Genuine "Family Reunion" Appreciation ride at Motorsport on 3/23. (All Genuine riders welcome!) It'll be interesting to see how it fares. Shopping for a seat pad. :)
Are you planning on staying down there? Riding down on the 23rd and coming back 3/24?
Going down Saturday, riding back Monday.
BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
ericalm wrote:Shopping for a seat pad. :)
Airhawk 2, brother!
But… I'm cheap! :)
koyla87

Post by koyla87 »

So this rally is going to be in my backyard practically.
WHY should I sign up for the event?
What's the event about?
Any helpful or negative thoughts about this meet up?

FOR THOSE VISITING:

Missing Valley isn't the best neighborhood. And I know the Town & County inside and out. I work at some of the events and that hotel is OLD hahah. Hopefully it's not raining or else that area gets flooded a bit.

But it's San Diego so the weather is always scooter approved!

Be careful choosing a motel if you are visiting from out of town. Best bet would prolly be at where the event is taking place but some of the motels have a bad reputation in mission valley[/b]
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This will be my fifth year going to Amerivespa. It's the largest annual scooter in N. America. Each year's different, depending on the location and the organizing groups/shops.

This post is just for our ride from LA to SD, but if you want any more info on Amerivespa, check out http://www.amerivespa.org

There will be a lot of Modern Buddy members there.
mikensjtown

Post by mikensjtown »

ericalm wrote:This will be my fifth year going to Amerivespa. It's the largest annual scooter in N. America. Each year's different, depending on the location and the organizing groups/shops.

This post is just for our ride from LA to SD, but if you want any more info on Amerivespa, check out http://www.amerivespa.org

There will be a lot of Modern Buddy members there.
As Eric said, this the largest all scooter rally in the USA. Whether you ride vintage or modern all are welcome. This will our 21st Amerivespa.

In addition to some great rides planned by our co-hosts,Secret Society, Pharaohs, Scooter Squadron we've got the English Beat playing for us on Friday night at the T&C, a two day vendor show, a Sat. concours show, Sat. awards banquet and evening show with the Inciters. T-shirt, patch, rally bag and all access pass included with your paid registration.

We had 660 scooters on parade in 2012. There's something about seeing scooters en masse. We hope to duplicate or exceed that number this year. #AVSD
Mike "Jefe" Bobadilla
President Vespa Club of America
Ex-President Vespa Club Los Gatos
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

help us put on the best rides possible by RSVPing for the rides you think you'll attend. This will help us alert the lunch stops to how many people to expect, how many helpers we will need along the ride and just generally plan better (like a gas stop for 30 will be different than one for 150)

you won't be committed to the ride, just helps us planning.

http://amerivespa.org/ride-descriptions/

thanks!
morphoid

question

Post by morphoid »

hi, do you have any idea on how many riders will attend all in all? at least the ones registered?...it was close to 300 participants as early as April 2013. i dunno now..??? hope it's waaay more..
morphoid

Post by morphoid »

koyla87 wrote:So this rally is going to be in my backyard practically.
What's the event about?

FOR THOSE VISITING:

Missing Valley isn't the best neighborhood. And I know the Town & County inside and out. I work at some of the events and that hotel is OLD hahah. Hopefully it's not raining or else that area gets flooded a bit.

Be careful choosing a motel if you are visiting from out of town. Best bet would prolly be at where the event is taking place but some of the motels have a bad reputation in mission valley[/b]
Yeah, i'was thinking same thing...do i need to register??? can i still join the rally without registering? i don't need the free bag, ballpen,marker,tshirts etc...i just want to ride with you guys.. can somebody enlighten my mind pls...thanks.. i'm coming friday afternoon and pack up sunday afternoon after the big "sayonara san diego" ride. my first time to join a rally or even a group of riders, i always ride alone in 25yrs.. i ride since i was 7

and yeah, hotel circle area isn't that amazing,,,they couldv'e done it along mission bay or harbor drive vicinity... interstate- 8 is a killer highway! which is the hiway proximal to T&C. but i don't f'n care...i'm going. no m atter what
:roll:
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Speaking from personal experience: Your registration pays for the event, it takes a lot of time and effort to throw a rally and it's even worse if at the end of the day you have to pay out yourself or ask your club mates to chip in to cover the expenses too because people 'ghosted' the rally.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

morphoid wrote:
koyla87 wrote:So this rally is going to be in my backyard practically.
What's the event about?

FOR THOSE VISITING:

Yeah, i'was thinking same thing...do i need to register??? can i still join the rally without registering? i don't need the free bag, ballpen,marker,tshirts etc...i just want to ride with you guys.. can somebody enlighten my mind pls...thanks.. i'm coming friday afternoon and pack up sunday afternoon after the big "sayonara san diego" ride. my first time to join a rally or even a group of riders, i always ride alone in 25yrs.. i ride since i was 7
Imagine if everyone else did the same thing? The rally organizers pay for all this neat stuff to get, and to do, then a lot of people show up, but no one paid? Speaking as someone who has hosted a number of rallies, please register. If you don't want all the free stuff, don't take it, but your registration is also one small way you can support scooters and scootering in America. It helps the scooter community at large.

"Ghosting" is not cool. If you don't think the rally is worthy of your financial support, maybe you shouldn't show up at all.

Please register and show up and have a great time with us!

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
morphoid

reg

Post by morphoid »

ok, i will register on site as soon as arrive on friday afternoon. thanks guys!!
see ya'll there!!

the"ghost"
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

Yes, please register. You'll save a few dollars if you register before you arrive. It'll speed things up for you as well.

http://amerivespa.org

Your registration fee helps pay for the venues, meals, bands, etc.
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
apvkt

Post by apvkt »

Hi everybody,
I want to know whether any automotive event going to be held by the month of september?? I am very eager to attend any type of automotive event which is easy to meet many people and can have share and gain knowledge..If any event, update it soon.