My new Ebay bar end mirrors

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SonnyD

My new Ebay bar end mirrors

Post by SonnyD »

Ordered them just a few days ago, and they were here when I got home from work.... Not too bad for under 20.00 shipped....they look a lot better then stock, especially stock after adding the Cuppini and the long ears..Worth the money and time IMO....... should have posted a before pic...better late then never.
Attachments
IMG_0265.JPG
IMG_0265.JPG (171.14 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
IMG_0006_zpsfee669a8.jpg
IMG_0006_zpsfee669a8.jpg (54.03 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
Last edited by SonnyD on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
iMoses

Re: My new Ebay bar end mirrors

Post by iMoses »

They look nice! Did you do a "How-To" for this? Can you do one?
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

I probably could...it's pretty basic.... the main thing is of course the Throttle side, trimming the end off of the throttle tube and grip enough to where it doesn't hold the throttle open...Kind of a trial and error and not cut too much opening in the grip end to look sloppy... this is probably the 10 or more set of Bar ends I've put on bikes in my years.. Always a little tedious with the throttle side cutting...and My dremel didn't work so all trimming was done with my trusty Buck knife, LOL
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Here ya go. Did the same grips on my Italia, plus eBay mirrors: viewtopic.php?t=4495
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

PeteH wrote:Here ya go. Did the same grips on my Italia, plus eBay mirrors: viewtopic.php?t=4495
Oh yeah....yours is what inspired me to do mine on the buddy....Love your Grips...way more then mine....and your throttle tube cutting looks Way better then my pocket knife whittled opening, LOL... I'll buy a new Dremel and smooth it up eventually.....Yours looks Awesome.....
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Can't take credit, I just copied Dalvarado's how-to. :D. The in-progress photos are his.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

thread inspired me to finally order a pair for my BJ after winging it a bit with some old stock mirrors i grabbed up. one just fell off so yeah....

i ordered some cheapo ones that fold in so lane splitting should be unaffected. hopefully they hold together, just looking to be legal and see a bit behind me
Riding is riding
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

Where did you get them, eBay?
The Reverend Wage
Ordained Dudeist Priest ☯�
Abide!
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

pretty cool...
but,if they fit into the bar ends, what happens when you twist the throttle? :?:

On a stella, with throttle on one side and shift on other, I don't think it would work for me....
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

EvilNerdLord wrote:pretty cool...
but,if they fit into the bar ends, what happens when you twist the throttle? :?:
The mirror rotates down.... But you only have to relax off of the throttle for a second to sneak a peak in the mirror as it rotates back up into position.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

tommyred wrote:Where did you get them, eBay?
don't know about OP but i ordered these, $25 shipped. local shipper, should be here Thursday or Friday

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321172829527?ss ... 1497.l2649
Riding is riding
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

And it's a US shipper, so you won't have to wait a month & a half from a Chinese shipper. I checkd my mail & my spotlights came in, so I gotta go play with them now. I'll go eBay shopping later (-:
The Reverend Wage
Ordained Dudeist Priest ☯�
Abide!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Christophers wrote:
The mirror rotates down.... But you only have to relax off of the throttle for a second to sneak a peak in the mirror as it rotates back up into position.
No, they don't. See Dalvarado's photos in the linked thread.

The mirror's sleeve grips the inside of the 7/8" handlebar tube. The throttle sleeve is outside the handlebar. You have to have a 7/8" or greater hole in the end of the rubber grip so that it doesn't bind on the mirror sleeve, but that's it. Those Electra grips have the end hole pre-cut.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

PeteH wrote:
Christophers wrote:
No, they don't.
Yes.

They do.
Attachments
Bar_end_L.jpg
Bar_end_L.jpg (141.79 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

It they are turning.....something isn't right...Like the grip is grabbing them or the sleeve is grabbing them.....Installed correctly.....No way will they move with the throttle.....The expander expands inside the handle bar...it has nothing to do with the throttle... That is why is a bit of a pain getting the trimming just right....Believe me....I would not have something installed on my scooter or motorcycle that moved with the throttle when it's not supposed to.....I could post a video...but that is way too much trouble.....Just check some videos with bikes that have bar end mirrors..
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

[quote="EvilNerdLord"]pretty cool...

On a stella, with throttle on one side and shift on other, I don't think it would work for me....[/quote

I got mine off of ebay...from "feir4luk They were 18.99 shipped and arrived in about 4 or 5 days......

I don't know how the shifter side works on the Stella, but it's probably just like the throttle tube in a way.... so the mirror would probably install the same way on both sides....
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Christophers wrote:
PeteH wrote:
Christophers wrote: The mirror rotates down.... But you only have to relax off of the throttle for a second to sneak a peak in the mirror as it rotates back up into position.
No, they don't.
Yes.

They do.
UR DOIN IT RONG. See thread I linked above. You need to Dremel the throttle sleeve. SRsly.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

SonnyD wrote:It they are turning.....something isn't right...Like the grip is grabbing them or the sleeve is grabbing them.....Installed correctly.....No way will they move with the throttle.....
Well, then, perhaps I should say:

"On some successful installations the mirror rotates down when you twist the throttle.... but you only have to relax off of the throttle for a second to sneak a peak in the mirror as it rotates back up into position."
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

PeteH wrote:
Christophers wrote:
PeteH wrote: No, they don't.
Yes.

They do.
UR DOIN IT RONG. See thread I linked above. You need to Dremel the throttle sleeve. SRsly.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Seriously......on a Proper installation......They will NOT move even a fraction of a millimeter, when you turn the throttle..... It has to be touching somewhere if it's turning at all with the throttle... Maybe yours is defective? I've installed literlly....20 sets of bar end mirrors on motorcycles in the last 25-30 years...and they all worked perfectly....did they the first test...NO... The easiest ones to install were on bikes with no ends on the grips...either the old foam kind, or ones with bar end weights already installed... I would just about guarantee you, that if you remove your mirror, take off the grip, and install the mirror back in the bar...it won't turn when you twist the throttle tube...Be sure you are not also...pushing it flush up against the bar, cause the friction will make it turn when you twist the throttle...I have about a 2MM gap between mount and my grip...Check YOu Tube...there are several videos there...theres a guy with an SV650 I think that has a good video...and actually the way he does it is probably a lot quicker then the way I do it...