kymco's new My Road 700i First Ride

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scullyfu

kymco's new My Road 700i First Ride

Post by scullyfu »

didn't see this posted, sorry if i missed it.

just a tick under $10k sticker price.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/189/16558 ... -Ride.aspx
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Geez, what a lame review. Terrible job by the guy giving the description. And the text:
This Taiwanese-built scooter combines the power of a mid-sized motorcycle with the everyday and around town convenience of a moped.
You'd think a site like "Motorcycle USA" would know difference between a scooter and a moped.

And they guy stated that Kymco isn't hardly known in the U.S. It is among scooter riders.

Anyhoo, it looks like there is very poor lean angle possible on that bike. Particularly in left turns.
Better to go with the BMW if you're spending that much money.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Well, for the price...and for someone that rode BMW motorcycles for 27 years.....I'd take the BMW in a heartbeat over the Kymco... Nothing wrong with Kymco.... but a BMW is a BMW and the dealer network is way bigger......
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

don't have time to read review but if the guy doesn't know enough about the brand he is reviewing or its products....meh. but then again maybe it made him all the more objective? still, "moped" is stupid

i have no doubt this thing is a pig, though. a real barge
Riding is riding
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

SonnyD wrote:Well, for the price...and for someone that rode BMW motorcycles for 27 years.....I'd take the BMW in a heartbeat over the Kymco... Nothing wrong with Kymco.... but a BMW is a BMW and the dealer network is way bigger......
It IS a BMW scooter. The 2 are cousins. Kymco manufactures BMW scooters
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Kymco assembles BMW engines for BMW and complete, rebadged, Kymco ATV's for Kawasaki and others. they may also use a BMW engine or two in a few products. but they don't manufacture entire scooters for BMW. not even close iirc?

pretty sure that would kill a scooter for all the fancy pants "purists" who have a hard enough time making excuses for where the engine is built to even more pretentious purists, much less an entire scooter

because as you know only Aryans can build a REAL BMW
Riding is riding
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

JHScoot wrote:Kymco assembles BMW engines for BMW and complete, rebadged, Kymco ATV's for Kawasaki and others. they may also use a BMW engine or two in a few products. but they don't manufacture entire scooters for BMW. not even close iirc?

pretty sure that would kill a scooter for all the fancy pants "purists" who have a hard enough time making excuses for where the engine is built to even more pretentious purists, much less an entire scooter

because as you know only Aryans can build a REAL BMW
You're right! I should have looked first. I was talking to the dealer saturday and he said they were related. My bogus assumption that they manufactured for bmw.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Kymco does build BMW engines (and have for many years now), but it's simply a manufacturing arrangement. The two don't share any engines or components. The BMW engines are designed by BMW Motorrad. Just cheaper to have someone else build them.

Pretty much all of the motorcycle mainstream media is ignorant about scooters, though some try. A little. It's very rare to read an article or review that doesn't have at least a couple scooter misconceptions or some condescending remark such as any line that ends in "…for a scooter."
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…