150cc on eBay

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tommyred

150cc on eBay

Post by tommyred »

$500, looks like whole engine and rear end. 10k miles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-buddy-1 ... 56&vxp=mtr
The Reverend Wage
Ordained Dudeist Priest ☯�
Abide!
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

$500 + $152.38 shipping, w/10K unknown-how-it-was-treated miles on it...

Somehow that just doesn't seem like a very good deal... not when there are bunches of these:

New 150cc GY6 w/CVT - $286 w/Free Shipping

:)
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

PS: "I am not affiliated" and other usual disclaimers apply... :mrgreen:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yeah, Capn, but a Buddy 150 ain't _exactly_ a GY6, just based on the same design. Plenty of generic GY6 parts (like starters) don't fit on the Buddy. Whole engines also probably don't fit right without a bunch of chassis mods.

But why buy trouble putting a 'generic' (likely PRC Chinascoot) motor in a Buddy, anyway?
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

pricey but idk much about engines. still, over $600 when all said and done. if paying tax in my state around $650, shipped.

is that a good deal? doesn't sound like. i am thinking $350 tops, $250 for the engine itself with 10,000 miles on it! wrecked, too. but what do i know!!
Riding is riding
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

If it is really a Genuine engine, the metallurgy is superior to a mainland China GY6 mill. The Genuine engine is less likely to suffer oil leaks, stripped threads and other structural failures.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

Granted, it is a PGO/Genuine GY6 design which, when new, is likely _vastly_ superior to most new PRC GY6 designs.

But - at 10K miles & who-knows-how-it-was-treated later, for nominally 20% the total cost of a brand new PGO/Genuine scoot which will have a 2 (or even 3) year warranty? Maybe not so much.

If you could get a compression test, an oil analysis, hear it run, and so on and it all checked out hunky-dory - then it could possibly be worth that to someone who really needed it.

Personally though, I would take a pass at spending any kind of real money on an unseen, untested, and unheard small engine with 10K miles on it, one that I have no idea of it's maintenance history, even if my only other choice was to gamble on a PRC version of lower quality but brand new nonetheless, in order to get my scoot running.

Even better though, I'd wait and put the $600 towards saving the rest needed for a new PGO/Genuine engine. At $600, I would wager you are at least halfway there, and probably more. What's a new one cost? I doubt it is more than 30% the total retail price of a whole scooter.

Heck - if you were a gambling type of person, buy the PRC engine and use it, while putting the leftover $300 in your "gonna get a real Genuine engine" account. By the time the PRC engine craps out, you should have the rest saved and ready for a real powerplant. :)

Of course, this is all idle conjecture and personal opinion and YMMV by 0-100%. ;)
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

You could rebuild the motor completely for $600-900. Depending on how much you wanted to spend on labor.