Buddy50 losing speed

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Ninjasurfergirl

Buddy50 losing speed

Post by Ninjasurfergirl »

I have a derestricted Buddy50 with almost 2,500 miles and she's not accelerating quite as well and also losing speed at the top end. She used to go from 0-30 indicated in about 5 seconds, now she hits 20, kind of levels out, and then accelerates slowly. Also I used to be able to get her to 47 indicated on average, then I noticed she'll top off at 45, now she won't even hit 45. I don't know if she needs the gear oil changed, unfortunately I don't have the cash for that right now, or maybe this is something that can be fixed with seafoam? I heard seafoam fixes like, everything. Any thoughts?
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

sounds like worn roller weights to me, my rough house was doing the same thing before i had it kitted.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Start with the cheap and easy stuff. Add some Seafoam (1 ounce in a full tank) and/or replace the spark plug (straight down from the seat hinge; there's a tool for it in the little bundle attached to the underside of the seat). Total cost under $15. If either of those works, you're in luck. If not, then you have most of a can of Seafoam and a replacement plug when you do need it.
Ninjasurfergirl

I will try the seafoam first, is the spark plug change something easy to do? If those don't work, I'll have to go to the dealer for the roller weight change.
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

I'll say that this has happened to my Buddy 50, and it's gotten pretty putzy, especially uphill, but due to whatnot and soforth, I have not found the reason. I have been intending to replace the rollers and belt (when I was in there just to look at the rollers I found the belt to be at the low limit of acceptable), but haven't done so yet. If you do those things and they are the miracle cure, I'll be happy to hear about it. :)
TVB

Post by TVB »

Ninjasurfergirl wrote:I will try the seafoam first, is the spark plug change something easy to do? If those don't work, I'll have to go to the dealer for the roller weight change.
Changing the spark plug is so easy even I can do it. You can get at it from underneath, but for visibility, it helps to remove the crescent-shaped plastic panel on the front of the seat pedestal, which requires lifting up the rubber floormat and undoing a few screws. The spark plug is in the middle and pointing forward, covered by a cap with a wire running to it. Pull the cap off, then use the plug-removing tool like a socket-wrench to unscrew it. It'll take a hard twist to get started.

Installing the new plug is just reversing the process; getting the screw threads to line up is the trickiest part. Just tighten it has hard as you can using the tool. And don't forget to put the cap back on, or you'll find yourself trying in vain for five minutes to start the thing, even trying to kickstart it, then kick yourself for forgetting that one little step. Or so I'm told. ;) Note that the plug will probably come with a little metal knob on the front-pointing end, that has to be screwed off for the cap to fit back on.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

With mileage so low, I'd be cleaning or replacing the air filter before thinking of anything mechanical.
You indicate it idles fine and those passages are the first to clog so I can't imagine Sea-Foam doing any good.
The low mileage says it would be unlikely that a roller/variator problem is occuring.
But, because of the air filters low pickup point, they get fouled rather quickly on scooters......and any air restriction will cause a loss in poer as you describe.

Rob
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Eeeeasyy there, TVB!

When installing a new plug, do the following: first, twirl the new plug in with your fingers, not using the tool, so you can be ABSOLUTELY sure you haven't cross-threaded it. It should screw in smoothly. Don't force it! Secondly, if it's a new plug with a new crush washer, screw it with fingers until the washer contacts the engine head, then use the tool to tighten it down one-half turn further.. This will seat the plug and washer just fine. Don't overtighten it, as you might tear up the cylinder head threads, which will be a non-cheap repair!

Finally, if you're reinstalling an existing plug and washer, tighten it only one-eighth turn further after it contacts the head, as the washer is already crushed. If you get an NCY plug, there should be a graphic on the box that shows these one half / one eighth measurements.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
NeoGenesisMax

I have had similar stuff happen.

Post by NeoGenesisMax »

Ive had my scooter drop off in power several times. Its a 2013 Buddy 50 and I,ve put about 3500 mile on it. Several times its done that. I'll share what has helped me. When my tank is almost empty i lose power or if the tank of gas is close to two weeks old. Fresh gas often solves that. One time the fresh gas didnt solve it so I ran it almost out of gas and put in about a half shot glass of seafoam before filling up (always premium). Well another time it was doing it again. I checked my tires and they were suprisingly low. It made a big difference in speed. I air mine to 32 psi front and back. That fixed it again. Ive also noticed the times I really wait for the scooter to warm up before going it often felt more peppy. Ive noticed when its 80% humidity here my scooter runs like crap. Havent found a fix and doubt i could. I hope some of thag is helpful.
Ninjasurfergirl

Added 1 oz of seafoam, acceleration has improved slightly and she's now topping off at around 47 indicated again, even got her to 50 indicated on a flat :)
NeoGenesisMax

good to hear

Post by NeoGenesisMax »

Thats good. The carb could of had some sort of build up. I dont run seafoam everytime. About every third or fourth tank. About as often as i put new oil in. Ethenol in our fuel is horrible for these motors according to people ive spoken to, my shop, and things ive read. There is a website called ethenolfreegas or something close to that. It will show you if anyonr has reported ethenol free gas in your area. Im lucky and have a few stations here that offer it but only one with separate pumps for it. If you can stay away from gas stations that have one hose for all grades of gas. I go to a BP that has ethenol free premium and a separate hose for it. When you buy gas you get up to half a gallon of what was last in the hose at other places. That will lower your octane rating of the fuel in your tank. This can be bad in the long run if your motor preignites the gas because the octane was too low. This is one thing that could potentially extend the life of your scoot and keep it running better.