my new Like 200i LX

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

OldSchoot

my new Like 200i LX

Post by OldSchoot »

Hello, As a new scooter owner I am interested in learning as much as possible from experienced scooter owners - so I joined here.

I own a new Kymco Like 200i LX - for 2 big reasons. It is the only brand sold in my town which I could afford, and had an engine big enough to move me around. There were two 50CC models for sale (Honda & Yamaha) but at 6'2", 250 lbs, everyone told me I could not buy either of them. Would I have liked a Buddy, or Vespa, etc. ? Sure - but I was informed by all experienced folks to buy only what could be serviced locally.
So, I do like this Kymco - but also hope it will not be the only scooter I ever own - at 65 I have a few good yrs remaining, I hope.
Attachments
P1030830.JPG
P1030830.JPG (112.77 KiB) Viewed 3798 times
Witch

Post by Witch »

Nice!! I've never seen a photo of the Like LX, other than the brochures. Looks very spiffy. The chrome bars are awesome.

The Like is a decent bike, and Kymcos are generally known as good reliable scoots with great dealer support.

The Like is probably the best scooter I've encountered for Starbucks runs because of its large and totally flat floorboard (great for the cardboard 4-drink holder). Be prepared to be the coffee go-fer on occasion. ;)
easy

Post by easy »

That's a beautiful scooter
what did you trade the day for?
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Look'n sharp...Welcome to the fold...
karjambe

Post by karjambe »

Looking good.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Nice! Very retro color scheme.

Originally I had to say that I took a look at the likes and went "Bleh!".

They've grown on me though. I'm glad Kymco is going a more retro route than the 'S' series of scoots that looked like some kind of transformer or something.
mattgordon

Re: my new Like 200i LX

Post by mattgordon »

OldSchoot wrote: - at 65 I have a few good yrs remaining, I hope.
I admire anyone at 65 who buys and enjoys a scooter and goes on an internet forum to yak about it!

Enjoy man, you're young-at-heart and thats all that matters.
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

Sharp looking scoot. I'm the happy owner of a Buddy 125, but I've also owned two Kymcos, and didn't any problems with either.

I had an Agility 50 & a People 250 S. When I got the Agility 50 I was 6', 240lbs, and I got around town good enough. I still have the People, and use it for mountain cruises

But I loves my Buddy :lol:
The Reverend Wage
Ordained Dudeist Priest ☯�
Abide!
jamespolk

Post by jamespolk »

That's awesome! I'm still saving up for my first scooter, so you're way ahead of me! :cry:
"It's not that I'm just new at this, it's that I'm looking for a whole new life style."
OldSchoot

Re: my new Like 200i LX

Post by OldSchoot »

mattgordon wrote:
OldSchoot wrote: - at 65 I have a few good yrs remaining, I hope.
I admire anyone at 65 who buys and enjoys a scooter and goes on an internet forum to yak about it!

Enjoy man, you're young-at-heart and thats all that matters.

Thanks for the comment.
At 4:45 this morning I hit 1000 miles - have yet to see 40+MPH.
Like James May - I'm not exactly Dr. Speed - but having a helluva good time with this thing.
Just need to get a little more sleep. Up EVERY morning before sun-up to get some scootering in. 4 miles by car to my work, 16 miles by scooer!
Ride safely folks - a fellow LIKE 200i rider hit near here last week. A hit & run on a very busy 4 lane city street.
Attachments
likedam.JPG
likedam.JPG (116.03 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
FenderJack

I'm a new Like 200i owner too!

Post by FenderJack »

Hi! I just purchased a Kymco Like 200i this past Saturday. I had traded in a Genuine Stella that wasn't registerable (got my money back).

I have to tell you, I spent days practicing on the Stella. While adorable as heck, I was able to ride the Like home from the dealer, 20 miles, first time ever on "real" streets.

I rode him today to work for the first time...20 miles each way up/down the coast Hwy 101 in beautiful San Diego. What a treat!!! Other than the bugs (so need a full face shield), it was lovely and less stress than i had anticipated. Of course a blind old bat did start to pull out in front of my in a goliath Ford Expedition...I was honking away looking for an escape route. It's all good! I made it safe and sound and the Like performed perfectly!

I'll add more later but for the money I had to spend (which isn't much at all) the Like came with what I needed NOW. Which was reliable transportation to and from work since I can't afford a car.
Attachments
Like200i .jpg
Like200i .jpg (25.12 KiB) Viewed 3381 times
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Fender Jack, good purchase. I've got almost 9k on my Like with 0 issues. My warranty runs out next month and I never had a chance to use it. I guess that's a good thing.
FenderJack

Thanks BeefSupreme!

Post by FenderJack »

BeefSupreme, thanks so much for the information! Today is day two of my commute! I shaved off 20 minutes from yesterdays dilly-dally. Also, I filled up yesterday for the first time and soooo overflowed the tank. So much so that I had gas leaking into the garage. Ug!

One close call yesterday. Scares the poop out of me.

Did you follow all of the recommended service??

Thanks again,
FJ
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Stop filling when gas reaches the bar! Anything over and after it heats up you'll have some coming out of the puke tubes on the bottom of the scooter. I keep "mostly" to my recommended service schedules. After 2k miles I switched to synthetic oil, and being as the Like doesn't have an oil filter, rather an oil screen, I change my oil every 1k miles to be on the safe side.

As for close calls, don't forget that Like has some of the best front and rear disc brakes, it can stop on a dime!
OldSchoot

Re: I'm a new Like 200i owner too!

Post by OldSchoot »

perfectly!

I'll add more later but for the money I had to spend (which isn't much at all) the Like came with what I needed NOW. Which was reliable transportation to and from work since I can't afford a car.[/quote]

Congrats on your new LIKE 200i!
Very pretty scooter in this color....it was the color I picked, until I saw the blue/white LX sitting over by the helmets. Had to stop the salesman on the red and re-start the paperwork on the LX.
Yep, stop filling at the bar down there -I use a small flashlight (held away from the fumes!) to watch as I'm filling. I did just rebuild my seat (using a spare seat from eBay) to make it OK for my rear end. Other than that, I loved this thing. Have added a little digital tach just for curiosity sake to watch the engine, and added an Iridium NGK spark plug, which seemed to smooth the idle. Absolutley no issues - loving it for 2500 miles so far. No car, this is my ride to work here in Ohio (will worry about the snow when it gets here!). Put on a set of Michelin City Grips as advised by verteran Asian riders for the rain (Kymcoforum.com)- they work great in the wet!

Ride safe and enjoy! Still think I got a great scooter for a bargain price!
Philippine LIKE Club custom red LIKE !!
Attachments
P1050443.JPG
P1050443.JPG (116.93 KiB) Viewed 3352 times
OldSchoot

Custom Red Kymco LIKE in the Philippines

Post by OldSchoot »

Pretty custom scooter!
Attachments
likered2.jpg
likered2.jpg (175.47 KiB) Viewed 3350 times
FenderJack

Oil change...

Post by FenderJack »

Hi all Like 200i owners. Who has gotten the 300 mile oil change? I'm finding it hard to find a place to do the oil change that will keep the warranty in effect. I'm in San Diego. Anyone? Anyone? Thanks!
OldSchoot

Re: Oil change...

Post by OldSchoot »

FenderJack wrote:Hi all Like 200i owners. Who has gotten the 300 mile oil change? I'm finding it hard to find a place to do the oil change that will keep the warranty in effect. I'm in San Diego. Anyone? Anyone? Thanks!
Man, take the scoot to any 2- wheeled dealer and have them do your oil change. Keep the work order and paid receipt.

OR, do like 90% of the rest of us are doing - change it yourself and keep the receipt for the oil - & log it into the back of your manual.
DIY'ing on this scoot helps you bond with it!
Most of us are also doing the valves and gear oil, air filters, etc.!

The www.kymcoforum.com has a post with the service/repair manual for a free download on this scooter by Kymco
FenderJack

Re: Custom Red Kymco LIKE in the Philippines

Post by FenderJack »

OldSchoot wrote:Pretty custom scooter!
Hi ya! Where did you get the spiffy windshield!!! I love it.
FenderJack

Re: Oil change...

Post by FenderJack »

OldSchoot wrote:
FenderJack wrote:Hi all Like 200i owners. Who has gotten the 300 mile oil change? I'm finding it hard to find a place to do the oil change that will keep the warranty in effect. I'm in San Diego. Anyone? Anyone? Thanks!
Man, take the scoot to any 2- wheeled dealer and have them do your oil change. Keep the work order and paid receipt.

OR, do like 90% of the rest of us are doing - change it yourself and keep the receipt for the oil - & log it into the back of your manual.
DIY'ing on this scoot helps you bond with it!
Most of us are also doing the valves and gear oil, air filters, etc.!

The www.kymcoforum.com has a post with the service/repair manual for a free download on this scooter by Kymco
You are most awesome!!! I'll see if I can figure it out! Thanks!