Best 50cc Touring Scooter?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

TVB

Best 50cc Touring Scooter?

Post by TVB »

With the threads for 250cc and 300cc scooters, I couldn't resist get in on it. :)

What do you think the best 50cc touring scooter is? The Roughhouse is good for the dirt roads you sometimes come across in the middle nowhere. There's a couple that rode from Vancouver to Toronto on a Yamaha C3, which has loads of luggage space.

I'm partial to the Buddy 50. Reasonably big pet carrier that's large enough to fit a few changes of clothes, put a rear rack on it and you're set for camping gear, derestrict it and you're good for most 45mph back roads. Getting 80-90mpg with a 1.2 gallon tank will go 100 miles between fill-ups, which is a good distance for stopping to stretch your legs. I'm going on a 6-day vacation hiding out in log cabin up near Grand Traverse Bay in a few weeks, and I'm gonna take the Buddy up there (150 miles each way).
Quo Vadimus

Re: Best 50cc Touring Scooter?

Post by Quo Vadimus »

There was that guy doing a huge trip on a Ruckus... Wan (thanks Google!). The info seems to be starting to get lost to the ether (the 'earlier threads' links here are 404'd, but lots of pics in the thread itself),

Quo Vadimus

Re: Best 50cc Touring Scooter?

Post by Quo Vadimus »

Quo Vadimus wrote:The info seems to be starting to get lost to the ether (the 'earlier threads' links here are 404'd,
Oh, actually if you change the 'phpbb2' to 'phpbb3' in the urls, you can still get to all the chatter. :wink:
ohiotj

Post by ohiotj »

I think I'd pick a Kymco Super 9 LC or an Aprilia SR50. I figure a liquid cooled 2 stroke would be a nice balance, more power than a 4-stroke, but in theory, it could sit at full throttle constantly with no problems.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I'd find a two stroke Yamaha Zuma for that mission.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

maybe a people 50?
climbamt

Post by climbamt »

I second the Kymco People 50, although the Buddy 50 has racks available for the front and rear.....
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Not sure what happened but a Zuma only made it one day on the 2010 Cannonball.

The C3 survived each day. The Ruckus was out one.

http://www.scootercannonball.com/result ... pdates.php
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

roughhouse for sure.

ive put 5000 miles on mine without a hiccup.