2008 Stella... I've tried (almost) everything

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tigjimmy

2008 Stella... I've tried (almost) everything

Post by tigjimmy »

This may be a long post, but I want to try and account for everything...

About a month ago I was riding my 2008 2T Stella (stock) with 1,800 miles and I noticed it sputtering a bit... Over the next week it go worse typically taking a while to get through 3rd and 4th gears. This got worse and worse until it finally died out one time riding around my neighborhood. Now here's where the fun begins:
- I had put some gas that was about 6 months old into it... premium no less, so I siphoned that out as well as added seafoam
- I've changed the spark plugs

At this point (about 2 weeks ago) it would run VERY rough cutting out intermittently eventually to the point it would barely start. This is when I:
- checked all the jets, air filter, fuel line... all seemed ok and working

Last week, a vespa owner work friend came over to help... He noticed the coil was sparking and had a loose wire. He soldered it and the next day it started up great and I rode it to work... Check that... I rode it 3 miles from my house where it died. How did it die? I was doing about 45 mph and the engine just cut out (like I hit the kill switch).

At this point (on the side of the road) I checked the plug and it was super hot and the tip as ash colored. I replaced the plug, it started back up and I got about 1/4 mile down the road when the same thing happened. After walking it home the 3+ miles I ordered a new coil.

Tonight, with the new coil in hand, I installed it (after snipping the spark plug wire to make sure I had clean connections) and it started up then died out after about 8 seconds. It wouldn't start again for about 5-10 minutes then the same thing. Sometimes I would let it idle (then die) and sometimes I would rev the living %^# out of it (and it would die). It would die as if I hit the kill switch more so than I ran out of gas (i.e. it didn't sputter). Here's what else I did tonight:
- verified the spark plug was getting a spark when I kicked the kick starter
- Tried disconnect the kill wire (green and white wire) from inside the horn cast by unplugging it. This didn't seem to effect anything (i.e. after 5-10 minutes it would start and die just like when it was connected). For "fun" I also disconnected the green and black wire... same outcome.
- I made sure the wire coming from the CDI was tight and properly seated in the coil
- I sprayed carb cleaner into the engine where the spark plug sits and that would allow it to immediately fire up (then die)
- I tried multiple spark plugs
- I adjusted the fuel / air screw
- I tried the choke in and out

So, at the first time in my ownership life of this Stella I'm totally frustrated. My only other options I can think of are:
- Replace the CDI box (which appears when opened to simply be a place where a bunch of wires are shoved).
- Not sure if there could be a blown fuse that would impact this
- Have someone tell me I'm disconnecting the kill switch incorrectly (again... I'm simply unplugging it)

ANY HELP OR IDEAS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
tigjimmy

Update

Post by tigjimmy »

Tonight I checked the two fuses and the wires... Still wouldn't start and run.

Then I tried running it on the reserve tank (for no reason whatsoever) and it started... Then it kept running... So apparently when I siphoned out the gas (the same time I replaced the defective coil) I must have screwed something up in the tank that's blocking the fuel from the main tank.

At least its progress.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Take it to the shop...
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

So....now it runs fine as long as you are on reserve? ???
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics