Does your 220i burn oil?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

chickdr

Does your 220i burn oil?

Post by chickdr »

Just a general question. Since I did my last oil change at 2,300 miles(1,800 past the initial 500 mile change) I have added oil twice(2nd time tonight at 3,700 miles). Mine seems to burn quite a bit. That is almost an entire quart used over the past 1,400 miles. The TGB Laser 150 I had previously never burned a drop.

Is this what others experience?
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

In almost 8k, I've not noticed a big loss of oil, but I have had to top it up once or twice. My break-in period was pretty short, I rode it home (at the speed limit), but within two weeks I was WOT a LOT.

I am losing oil now because it's dripping out of a seal somewhere, but it's near impossible to see it on the dipstick. I can see it on the ground, muffler and swing arm/brake though, so until I find that leak, it's not much riding, I'm afraid.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Rippinyarn wrote:In almost 8k, I've not noticed a big loss of oil, but I have had to top it up once or twice. My break-in period was pretty short, I rode it home (at the speed limit), but within two weeks I was WOT a LOT.

I am losing oil now because it's dripping out of a seal somewhere, but it's near impossible to see it on the dipstick. I can see it on the ground, muffler and swing arm/brake though, so until I find that leak, it's not much riding, I'm afraid.
A leak I can understand. My scooter is dry underneath. It seems it just burns oil during the riding process. I suppose the upside is I am adding fresh oil frequently so the motor should be happy.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Do you have a compression tester? It might show that a ring is not fully seated. An easier, if a bit of a shot in the dark method is adding a minute amount of a product designed to unstick stuck rings. I have no idea if that would work, but it seems that something is amiss. I think that these are relatively "loose" engines, but that amount of oil is surely excessive, isn't it?
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Rippinyarn wrote:Do you have a compression tester? It might show that a ring is not fully seated. An easier, if a bit of a shot in the dark method is adding a minute amount of a product designed to unstick stuck rings. I have no idea if that would work, but it seems that something is amiss. I think that these are relatively "loose" engines, but that amount of oil is surely excessive, isn't it?
I don't have a way to check the compression. As far as oil use I do think it is excessive, but then again I understand Audi calls 1qt per 1,000 miles "within spec" on their engines. I have asked my dealer about it as the scooter is still under warranty. I will see what they say. Thanks for the suggestion.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

chickdr wrote:As far as oil use I do think it is excessive, but then again I understand Audi calls 1qt per 1,000 miles "within spec" on their engines.
That is certainly excessive use for a modern small engine - and a 220cc Blur engine and a 2 liter Audi engine are not really comparable. Time for some diagnostics.