New Genuines and changes for 2014/ 2015

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Alexbv200
Dealer

New Genuines and changes for 2014/ 2015

Post by Alexbv200 »

Here it is folks..

As you all know, the "RoughHouse 170" is actually being called the Hooligan 170i and will be priced at $3,299.00
It will come in Matte Army Green and Matte Black.

The Buddy 170i will now come also in Matte Black, and Brit (Blue/ White).
Price is back to $3,299.00

The Buddy 50 will also see the Royal Blue color and the Brit color as part of the International series.

The Buddy 125 sees the addition of the Royal Blue with price unchanged.

No change on the Blurr 220i.

The Stella is now available in a 125 Auto in 3 colors:
Candy apple Red, Electric Blue and Ivory.
It is priced at $3,499.00 ($200 less than the Manual)

No changes for the Stella Manual.

There you have it!!
SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

Stella Auto for the wifey
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

And to think, some people where afraid the manual stella's where going to be dropped from the line up (rumor mill running overtime on some threads)...i'm glad its sticking around.
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

EvilNerdLord wrote:And to think, some people where afraid the manual stella's where going to be dropped from the line up (rumor mill running overtime on some threads)...i'm glad its sticking around.
Well it is for now; Auto sales will dictate what will happen to the shifty....
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

SockyTX wrote:Stella Auto for the wifey
If I ever referred to my riding partner as "the wifey", I suspect I would come home the next day and find out that my scooters had just been donated to the Salvation Army. Because I'm a prudent person, I don't plan to chance it. Maybe things are different in Texas. :wink:
hal888

Post by hal888 »

Dooglas wrote:
If I ever referred to my riding partner as "the wifey", I suspect I would come home the next day and find out that my scooters had just been donated to the Salvation Army. Because I'm a prudent person, I don't plan to chance it. Maybe things are different in Texas. :wink:
My wifey likes it :) , though I would leave off the 'the'.
rentonhighlander

Post by rentonhighlander »

hal888 wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
When compared to some parts of OR pretty much everywhere else is considered different.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

rentonhighlander wrote:When compared to some parts of OR pretty much everywhere else is considered different.
Well, certainly Spokane anyway :wink: . (though I would still avoid calling your better half "the wifey" if I were you - just trying to be helpful)

Keep Portland Weird! (though, don't they say the same about Austin?)
RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

You're a smart man, Dooglas. :clap:
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i wonder if the rough house gets new styling? maybe its a bigger scooter? i could imagine a more substantial rough house / hooligan running circles around a lot of competitors like the Zuma and Typhoon, good as those scooters are

i mean my idea of the rough house is very spare. its almost bare bones to my liking. a 170cc in the current one and we could be talking trouble off the charts :shock:

but at its pricing i would think a bit "more" scooter is in order, too? looking forward to pics :)
Riding is riding
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

JHScoot wrote:i wonder if the rough house gets new styling? maybe its a bigger scooter?
Well, the rumor is that it is this (The PGO B2).
http://www.pgo-scooter.com/products_inf ... 3326153c03
Attachments
B2 150.jpg
B2 150.jpg (18.78 KiB) Viewed 3633 times
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

Also known as X-Hot! Man I have typed that name a lot lately.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

rentonhighlander wrote:
hal888 wrote:
Dooglas wrote: If I ever referred to my riding partner as "the wifey", I suspect I would come home the next day and find out that my scooters had just been donated to the Salvation Army. Because I'm a prudent person, I don't plan to chance it. Maybe things are different in Texas. :wink:
When compared to some parts of OR pretty much everywhere else is considered different.
Remember the old proverb....
"...happy wife, happy life.... "
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Of course they'd come out with a pretty blue and white Buddy 170i after I buy my Pink Lady.
Sigh.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Dooglas wrote:
JHScoot wrote:i wonder if the rough house gets new styling? maybe its a bigger scooter?
oh well that is good news. i thought it would be a good scooter in the Genuine line up. seems a quality piece, and i like the styling

pretty sure the company is under new ownership or something? website looks different. this Hooligan may have been planned awhile but its good to see it coming through. at my new local dealership the mechanic is pretty high on PGO scooters, says the Buddy is one of the best scooters around. and the shop owner said some days he sells three or four Buddy's and sold around 18 in a couple weeks recently. pretty good, and hopefully this "new" scooter will do well, too
Riding is riding
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

JHScoot wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
oh well that is good news. i thought it would be a good scooter in the Genuine line up. seems a quality piece, and i like the styling

pretty sure the company is under new ownership or something? website looks different. this Hooligan may have been planned awhile but its good to see it coming through. at my new local dealership the mechanic is pretty high on PGO scooters, says the Buddy is one of the best scooters around. and the shop owner said some days he sells three or four Buddy's and sold around 18 in a couple weeks recently. pretty good, and hopefully this "new" scooter will do well, too
It should do ok.
People looking at the Yamaha Zuma 125 will probably go for that one as they are priced similar.
But...... the Buddy 125 will always be the best seller because of its sub $3k price point.
The 170 sells ok, but at that price point, people start looking at Vespa more seriously.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Dooglas wrote:
That's the one. :)

It's pretty hot and should be a great performance scoot!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

it looks like X-hot has 12inch wheels. That'll make it pretty comfortable to take advantage of all 170cc's.
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

looks like im going to have to get a hooligan.....
mannnnnn....
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Hopefully Genuine will retain the rear disk brake. That will be a nice differentiator and help sell at the $3300 price point. Not to mention that the 170i is a very good engine.

I could still do without the B2 front fender. Get ScooterWorks to stock the B1 fender as an alternative... I'd swap.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

just noticed... it uses the same dash as the ZERO electric motorcycles.. :)
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

Pretty sure the digital dashes Genuine uses are Koso. The one from my Rattler 50 was. The 110 had the same Koso dash as my 50.

I really was hoping they would have done up the Roughhouse with 170cc. I would have bought one and done a Rattler conversion. I loved the Rattler.
NeoGenesisMax

Post by NeoGenesisMax »

Well i went to my dealer and there is no mention of a rough house 170i in the stuff genuine sent them. Where did you get your info because they didnt tell their authorized dealer that. They sent pictures of a scooter that looks just like those ugly ass pgo i seen online. The light on it just makes it look aweful. I didnt catch the name of it but can ask my dealer. But just so you all know Genuine is adding a new scoot that isnt a new color or motor/trans for something they already sell. When i try to find the pgo version of genuine scoots i never see anything that looks like what we get. This new one is the scoot i always find. They did a hello kitty version of it so if you google it and see that its the same scoot as far as i can tell.
NeoGenesisMax

Post by NeoGenesisMax »

http://www.pgo-scooter.com/products_inf ... 8ada742e85

Ok as far as i can tell its this scooter we are getting. Motor and stuff is up in the air. But man i think it looks. Blur, and buddy loom much better. I am also curious why so many people like the stella. Its really heavy. And slower than many 150s. Its a pain to work on. Now take that and put a slower powerplant in it and it gets worse. My dealer had no reservations telling me how much they disliked the stella. Funny thing is one of them has the vespa version and dislikes it too.
stASH

Post by stASH »

NeoGenesisMax wrote:Now take that and put a slower powerplant in it and it gets worse.
I don't think that is necessarily true. The engine in the Auto Stella is a much more modern design and I wouldn't be surprised if it performs better than the old manual 150cc powerplant.
NeoGenesisMax wrote:I am also curious why so many people like the stella.
Putting an automatic powertrain in the Stella is one of the most significant updates to that scooter design in decades (if you consider the Vespa PX as the same/similar scooter). It's hard to imagine how people wouldn't like a tried and true classic design with a modern powertrain, which I imagine is what Genuine is betting on with adding it to their lineup.

I'm definitely not understanding your logic here.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

stASH wrote:
NeoGenesisMax wrote:Now take that and put a slower powerplant in it and it gets worse.
I don't think that is necessarily true. The engine in the Auto Stella is a much more modern design and I wouldn't be surprised if it performs better than the old manual 150cc powerplant.
Putting an automatic powertrain in the Stella is one of the most significant updates to that scooter design in decades (if you consider the Vespa PX as the same/similar scooter). It's hard to imagine how people wouldn't like a tried and true classic design with a modern powertrain, which I imagine is what Genuine is betting on with adding it to their lineup.

All reports on the 125 LML Star Automatica's say they're FASTER than the shifty 150's, from a dead stop and they can run 60mph all day... so yeah, not sure what the problem is here. I'm nothing but stoked about an auto stella.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

BeefSupreme wrote:
stASH wrote:

All reports on the 125 LML Star Automatica's say they're FASTER than the shifty 150's, from a dead stop and they can run 60mph all day... so yeah, not sure what the problem is here. I'm nothing but stoked about an auto stella.
i really hope that's the case. IF that's true, then it would be worth the cost and hassle to get a red scoot and i want it painted black.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

this video should get some of you off road types kind of nuts. if the scooter is capable of holding up to this sort of riding time and time again? and apparently it does in fact have some quality, purpose chosen hardware on it

but this video just makes me think "sign me up."

soundtrack included so turn it down if need be

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MEcKp3LVrLU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Riding is riding
NeoGenesisMax

Post by NeoGenesisMax »

Still an ugly, heavy, dinosaur. Give me a buddy 125 over that any day. Is it safe to assume that its the same motor? Only plus is with a side car the stella looks hilarious. I tried to imagine riding one with three people and wonder just how slow it would be with that heavy steel body, heavy steel side car, two up on the scoot, and one in the side car. Bet that thing drags ass. I get that some people like the old school style. I wouldnt spend brand new car money on a car that hasnt been changed since what the fifties and i feel the same about scoots. Im pretty sure most people feel the same or i would see people riding stellas but i dont.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

LunaP wrote:Of course they'd come out with a pretty blue and white Buddy 170i after I buy my Pink Lady.
Sigh.
I REALLY like the blue/white, going to try to talk my daughter into one :)
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

NeoGenesisMax wrote:that hasnt been changed since what the fifties and i feel the same about scoots. Im pretty sure most people feel the same or i would see people riding stellas but i dont.
You should come ride with us sometime, its more than HALF Stellas these days, and many in our group own modern motorcycles, too. The stella just HAS something...something fun about that old design, same as a volkswagon beetle, NOT the fastest, or the best, but you have a smile the whole time getting there with your buddies. The new stelletto automatic stella just makes it easier for folks who don't want to shift.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

NeoGenesisMax wrote:Still an ugly, heavy, dinosaur. Give me a buddy 125 over that any day. Is it safe to assume that its the same motor?
As it is not even built by the same company. it is probably safe to assume that it does not have the same motor (though it may use a design derived from the GY6 as many scooters do). Why pound on the Stella so hard? You don't care for it, we get that. Others do like and enjoy it. Why not leave it there?
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

NeoGenesisMax wrote:Still an ugly, heavy, dinosaur. Give me a buddy 125 over that any day. Is it safe to assume that its the same motor? Only plus is with a side car the stella looks hilarious. I tried to imagine riding one with three people and wonder just how slow it would be with that heavy steel body, heavy steel side car, two up on the scoot, and one in the side car. Bet that thing drags ass. I get that some people like the old school style. I wouldnt spend brand new car money on a car that hasnt been changed since what the fifties and i feel the same about scoots. Im pretty sure most people feel the same or i would see people riding stellas but i dont.
It is not the same motor its a fresh LML design. It has nothing to do with the PGO derived buddy. Its only 30lbs heavier than a buddy 125. I've read many ride reports claiming 55-60mph. Which is pretty good for 8hp. Being a vintage style is perfectly acceptable to many people. Many people find the vintage styled plastic scooters to be offensive. Its a poor fake copy in their eyes. Its an all steel scooter with a vintage look for $3500. I think they will sell just like any other niche market vehicle. Mike has sold a crapload of stella's over the years.
NeoGenesisMax

Post by NeoGenesisMax »

Im not trying to rain on anyones fun. I get that people enjoy this old school stuff. Not trying to rag on your scoots
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

All this sounds good. I expected to be more interested in the auto Stella but the new Roughouse is a nice surprise. And it now becomes the most interesting thing in the Genuine lineup to me, unless there are some downsides that haven't come out yet. There are so many dirt roads around here, plus many of the paved roads aren't in the best condition. I wouldn't motocross with it but it's nice to have some built-in ruggedness.

I suppose the info on the new models is yet to be posted on the Genuine website? I haven't visited for a while.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

JHScoot wrote:this video should get some of you off road types kind of nuts. if the scooter is capable of holding up to this sort of riding time and time again? and apparently it does in fact have some quality, purpose chosen hardware on it

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MEcKp3LVrLU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Off road nuts? It looks like this scoot might be more suited for most of the roads around here. Have you ever been to the intersection of Franklin and Whitely? I've always wished it could only be as rough as those rocks that the video shows the X-hot bouncing over.

Last week I was listening to Frank Gehry reminisce about how when he first came to L.A. Sunset wasn't even yet entirely paved. I almost stood up and shouted back "It still isn't!"

The X-hot might be just the scoot for around here. :-)

L.A. has worst big-city roads in the nation:
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/oct/03 ... s-20131004
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I guess they are trying to stay with the "rough" image with these color choices but bright colors like that yellow one on the PGO website are common for dirt bikes and would make them more noticeable in traffic.

Love the dirt bike handlebars.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I just love comments in Russian (the video advertisement is for Ukraine though)
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

NeoGenesisMax wrote:Still an ugly, heavy, dinosaur. Give me a buddy 125 over that any day. Is it safe to assume that its the same motor? Only plus is with a side car the stella looks hilarious. I tried to imagine riding one with three people and wonder just how slow it would be with that heavy steel body, heavy steel side car, two up on the scoot, and one in the side car. Bet that thing drags ass. I get that some people like the old school style. I wouldnt spend brand new car money on a car that hasnt been changed since what the fifties and i feel the same about scoots. Im pretty sure most people feel the same or i would see people riding stellas but i dont.
Is it just now occurring to you that different people may like things you don't for reasons you can't relate to or comprehend?

The Stella Auto does not have a Buddy 125 motor. It's a separate product built far away from Taiwan. It's an LML engine.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Christophers wrote:
Off road nuts? It looks like this scoot might be more suited for most of the roads around here. Have you ever been to the intersection of Franklin and Whitely? I've always wished it could only be as rough as those rocks that the video shows the X-hot bouncing over.

Last week I was listening to Frank Gehry reminisce about how when he first came to L.A. Sunset wasn't even yet entirely paved. I almost stood up and shouted back "It still isn't!"

The X-hot might be just the scoot for around here. :-)

L.A. has worst big-city roads in the nation:
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/oct/03 ... s-20131004
i must say i do not look forward to our streets after the rainy season. or during. but otherwise the bumps keep me entertained :lol:

the x-hot / roughhouse / hooligan does look like my kind of scooter, though. modern, spare styling, 12in wheels, good storage, and apparently the suspension really is a good one. i could see it as an Agility replacement for me. but i could also see a Lance PCH as one. the X-Hot is an upmarket scooter, though. Lance is budget. i like budget

so i need a used x-hot. this thing is priced next to the Buddy 170i but without the character. however it is a nice scooter and well done. good details and workmanship, it would seem. i'll be interested in seeing one in person when Scooter Dynasty get's 'em in
Riding is riding
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

... I will say, pretty sure my next scooter is going to be a red Stella 125. I do miss having a red retro-ish scooter...
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

I'm assuming since these are both PGO products that we're talking about the same engine will be in the Hooligan as in the Buddy 170i

That said, does anyone know the actual horsepower of the 170i motor? Genuine doesn't list it on the Buddy page.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

My wife wants to trade her white Buddy 125 for a Royal Blue one. I told her she could do that if she buys me a nice Rattler 110 (no longer in production).
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

If you have to ask, you will never understand.

It's the simplicity. It's manual. It's simple to tear into, modify, tweak and wrench on. It doesn't ride like any other bike on the planet... a P-series bike is it's own machine. The Stella is the closest we will get to a P-series brand new. Would I myself buy an automatic Stella/LML? No. Never.

But, I did just pen the paperwork to purchase a new automatic Vespa. Why? Because the Vespa GTS is not trying to be a vintage scooter. It's a new Vespa, and that's cool. The Buddy is a unique bike of it's own that no other scooter can really match. That's what makes it cool. To me (and this is just me), it seems that LML is trying to scramble to make people happy who want a shifter scooter, but don't want to take the time to learn how to shift. Sure, there are some people who physically have limitations, but this move is to directly cater to those who don't WANT to shift. To me, it compromises what the Stella is about.

BUT... if someone likes the bike, then go for it! You never know: This may turn out to be another one of those niche bikes that rides unlike any other machine and has a feel and a following all of it's own. I think the auto version would of been a better fit in a smaller PX-style steel body. THAT would of caught my interest a bit more than this.

So, before you really start bashing on the bike in general, understand that not everyone is like you. Yes, I'm a bit down on the move to automatic, but they are keeping the manual version so I can't see any flaw in this marketing move.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

Hooligan 170i won't be here until April 2014.
New Buddy colors won't show up until February.
Stella Auto will be here in January.
Stella manual will most likely be available in very small and limited numbers over the next few years, mostly to satisfy people that would like a Sidecar on one.
The Stella AUTO CANNOT receive a Side car!!!!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Alexbv200 wrote:Stella manual will most likely be available in very small and limited numbers over the next few years, mostly to satisfy people that would like a Sidecar on one.!!!!
Best news to date! My black 2013 is nestled snugly in her crate at my dealer, but it's good to know that the line's not dead yet. Any insights on parts availability? So far, that's the biggest strike I've seen against the 4T Stella.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

And here are the colors for the Stella Auto!
Attachments
stella-automatic.jpg
stella-automatic.jpg (112.58 KiB) Viewed 3049 times
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Alexbv200 wrote:And here are the colors for the Stella Auto!

Awww yeah. \m/
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I like it. I already know how to shift. If it dispenses with the need to replace cables, that's a point in its favor.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I'll watch both models with interest.

There was a used (a bit beat up, but not bad...) Black Cat here for $700. I almost did it just cuz :P.

there are a lot of cool ideas out there. If I was in the market today, a Hooligan or auto Stella would both bear looking at.

Though so does a Triumph, or a well loved used people 150..crap...

:)