Chinese Scooter 150cc Vs Blur 220i

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

relenger

Chinese Scooter 150cc Vs Blur 220i

Post by relenger »

This week my buddy's Chinese 150cc scooter would randomly die. I deceded I would drive it around and see if I could get it to die so I could troubleshoot the problem.
these bikes handle way different. If you are thinking of buying a Chinese 150 GY6 then think about a few things. The price would be in my opinion the only reason to consider a Chinese GY6 scooter. If you only have $1000 bucks and can't wait then maybe a GY6 is for you. But getting a better bike is worth the wait!

Comfort - The GY6 had a better seat but that was it. We all know the blur does not have the best seat but can be fixed.

Brakes - The GY6 had Disks on the front and drum in the rear. The brakes required alot more squeeze to slow the bike, The blur on the other hand will stop on demand compared to the GY6.

Handling - The GY6 felt loose. Like a old caddy. I could feel the frame flexing over large bumps and fast turns. The bike topped out at 60 and took almost twice as long to get there compared to the blur. I was nervous at high speed on this bike, if for some reason I would have to swerve or brake hard I would be in big trouble and more then likely have to lay it down.

Acceleration - Not bad from a stop, after hitting 30 it climbs slowly to 60mph. It will require the entire entrance ramp to the highway to get to 60.
In my opinion the 150 GY6 is underpowered. I also have 2 50cc Chinese bikes which could almost keep up with the 150.

This bike would be fine for a daily commute with a top speed of 40mph even though it is capable of 60mph.

The reported gas mileage on the 150cc was around 50 - 55mpg which falls short of the fuel injected 220I Blur. on average I see 70 - 80mpg.
Even my 50cc bikes see 100plus. in this case I would likely opt to buy the 50cc and save the money to get a bigger name brand bike.
After I let my buddy ride the blur he was really impressed. Now he wants to buy one. The only set back is the price. you could own a 600cc bike for that kinda money. However getting awesome gas mileage is a scooter thing. unless you have enough money to buy a 14,000 dollar electric motorcycle which the battery replacement would cost almost 9k on the Zero bike.

Any other questions feel free to ask.
Last edited by relenger on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

....aaaaaaand that's why the Blur costs about 4x more. :wink:

I don't think anyone actually buys China scoots expecting them to be as good as, well, anything else. Just reading the title of this thread made me chuckle.

~SM
relenger

Post by relenger »

Swordsman wrote:....aaaaaaand that's why the Blur costs about 4x more. :wink:

I don't think anyone actually buys China scoots expecting them to be as good as, well, anything else. Just reading the title of this thread made me chuckle.

~SM
Yea that's true. I will say my Chinese 50cc was a good bike and I still own it. but in Michigan the laws say if its under 50cc and stays under 30mph you don't need insurance and you get a sticker(No plate) that's only $12 that last 3 years and No Motorcycle license is required.
That is why I still have the 50cc. at 100+ MPG its almost free transportation. it goes 55 on a flat surface. I just cant get caught going that fast on it.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

55 mph on a Chinese 50cc? Dubious. My 50cc derestricted Peugeot wouldn't go that fast.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

chickdr wrote:55 mph on a Chinese 50cc? Dubious. My 50cc derestricted Peugeot wouldn't go that fast.
55 kph maybe?

Bill in Seattle
'12 Italia 170i
'11 Blur 220i
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

55 mph is probably what the gauge reads, but you know how scooter spedometers are, especially budget ones. :wink:

~SM
relenger

Post by relenger »

Here is a video of it going almost 50mph. It needed to be tuned in that video, I just put a few mods on it but it ended up loosing top end and gaining low end.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kkBODzpGg4E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As far as the speedo goes that was replaced by a digital one. Found here
http://www.trailtech.net/vector.html
Which after everything was set-up correctly I was getting around 55mph.
I will be dragging this scooter out of the barn next month. I will try to get a video of it at 55mph
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

relenger wrote:Here is a video of it going almost 50mph. It needed to be tuned in that video, I just put a few mods on it but it ended up loosing top end and gaining low end.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kkBODzpGg4E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As far as the speedo goes that was replaced by a digital one. Found here
http://www.trailtech.net/vector.html
Which after everything was set-up correctly I was getting around 55mph.
I will be dragging this scooter out of the barn next month. I will try to get a video of it at 55mph
Unless, I'm missing something you're not anywhere near 55 mph in your pictures. The outer ring is kph, the inner ring is mph. At 80 kph, that's 43 mph as shown on the inner ring or .62 x 80 = 43.4 mph. And, 43 mph is about right for a de-restricted 49cc scooter. OK, what is it I'm missing?

Bill in Seattle

Bill in
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

relenger wrote:
Yea that's true. I will say my Chinese 50cc was a good bike and I still own it. but in Michigan the laws say if its under 50cc and stays under 30mph you don't need insurance and you get a sticker(No plate) that's only $12 that last 3 years and No Motorcycle license is required.
That is why I still have the 50cc. at 100+ MPG its almost free transportation. it goes 55 on a flat surface. I just cant get caught going that fast on it.
And now it's 100cc in Michigan, which makes pointless the Sym Symba and Honda whatever at 110ccs. It does make the sweet old Honda 80cc 2-ts a very nice proposition for a "moped" sticker registration here in Michigan.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
relenger

Post by relenger »

Rippinyarn wrote:
relenger wrote:
And now it's 100cc in Michigan, which makes pointless the Sym Symba and Honda whatever at 110ccs. It does make the sweet old Honda 80cc 2-ts a very nice proposition for a "moped" sticker registration here in Michigan.

Really? When did it get changed? Hmm, maybe its time to trade them in. Is top speed still 30 - 35?
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

The new Honda Grom gets 110 mpg regular gas and goes over 60 mph and hugs the road just fine. Weight? 225 lbs. wet. There is no storage and the price is $3,000. A lot of scooter people including myself own a Grom now.

Regarding the Zero motorcycle. The batteries are estimated to last over 200,000 miles so nobody replaces them. They are expensive as you point out...about half the price of the motorcycle.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

What Swordsman said!!! :lol: By the way how do you like your Ural?