A new Blur, maybe.

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

docjones

A new Blur, maybe.

Post by docjones »

I would love to purchase a new Blur. Now is the time considering the 3 year warranty that they are offering right now. My problem is I like to keep my two wheeled friends for a long time. Way past 3 years. With some of the problems I have read about on this forum not sure I want to make a commitment of $4000.00 just to find out that the Blur isn't what Genuine lead me to believe. With instrumentation panels going bad and dookiegang losing a motor at 4700 miles I need to be reassured that I'm making the right choice. Can anyone help?
chickdr

Re: A new Blur, maybe.

Post by chickdr »

docjones wrote:I would love to purchase a new Blur. Now is the time considering the 3 year warranty that they are offering right now. My problem is I like to keep my two wheeled friends for a long time. Way past 3 years. With some of the problems I have read about on this forum not sure I want to make a commitment of $4000.00 just to find out that the Blur isn't what Genuine lead me to believe. With instrumentation panels going bad and dookiegang losing a motor at 4700 miles I need to be reassured that I'm making the right choice. Can anyone help?
There isn't really a good answer. I have 3,200 miles on mine after a little over a year. My instrument panel went bad as soon as I left the dealer the day of purchase, but after replacement it has worked flawlessly. The engine failure seems like an anomaly. Mine had a stretch where the CVT was rough during takeoff, but it has corrected itself. Overall a very reliable scooter IMHO. You just have to drive one and decide if you like the firm, sporty feel. If you like a cushy ride, or plan long distance hauls, this one may not be for you as the seat gets uncomfortable after 50 or 60 miles IMHO.
skipper20

Re: A new Blur, maybe.

Post by skipper20 »

docjones wrote:I would love to purchase a new Blur. Now is the time considering the 3 year warranty that they are offering right now. My problem is I like to keep my two wheeled friends for a long time. Way past 3 years. With some of the problems I have read about on this forum not sure I want to make a commitment of $4000.00 just to find out that the Blur isn't what Genuine lead me to believe. With instrumentation panels going bad and dookiegang losing a motor at 4700 miles I need to be reassured that I'm making the right choice. Can anyone help?
I think you're making a very good choice. I bought my '11 220i Blur earlier this summer and every time I ride her I can't erase the smile from my face. I even smile when I walk by her in the garage. It's unique among scooters and you will not, I repeat not regret the purchase.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

My two year warranty just expired a few weeks ago.

I've had several issues/complaints with my Blur, and I've posted them in the forum before repeatedly (particularly: my top speed is low, my gas mileage is bad) but those are due more to me/where I live/my commute than other things, though I'm still wanting someone else to ride and test my blur's top speed <.<

I only had one issue that required use of warranty. I posted about it in May. It was relatively minor, but potentially extremely inconvenient. A bad battery cable, that probably isn't an issue with the more recent batch of scoots.

No issue with instrumentation panel or anything that I'm aware of!

(topic24946.html) The aforementioned post is copied here:

I posted this on the main forum, but the other week my scooter wouldn't start. At first I thought it was the battery, borrowed trickle charger, and tried again. Lights would turn on, could use turn signals, even horn. Couldn't start. "CLICK." "CLICK."

Towed it to the shop. They finally looked at it, and the issue was a
bad cable to the battery.

The metal connector bit had a crack in it, and it couldn't really keep a stable enough connection. Trying to start it would make it pop off a little, the guy said (?). The cable itself was I'm told damaged too, when they looked at the whole thing.

I was told this was the 3rd or 4th Blur they've seen with the same problem in the last few months. All cases the Blur was between 1 to 2 years old. So this might be something for other people with 2011/2012 Blurs keep an eye on, as that could be more than random bad luck?
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I've been riding my original '06 Blur 150 for 7 years now with no real issues aside from having it stolen (I replaced it with another used '06 model with roughly the same mileage.) I use regular gas, I've ridden in a variety of weather conditions, sometimes it sits for 6 months because one of my vintage scooters is running great, sometimes I ride it a lot. I do a lot of short trips, a half-hour commute sometimes, and a few overnight trips of a couple hundred miles loaded up with gear. It's a great bike, well-built, really well-engineered. It's maybe not the absolute best scooter out there, but I think it's a great value for the money, better than anything else in it's displacement/price range, and I trust Genuine warranty- and longevity- wise more than I'd trust just about anyone else. Genuine dealers are almost always top-notch and focused on scooters, so you usually get good support from them, unlike a motorcycle dealer who might treat you like an afterthought because they make more money installing loud pipes on sportbikes all day, or a fly-by-night scooter dealer who won't be there in six months.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

3-year warranty? Is that a factory warranty on all new 2013 Blurs?