I don't have a problem, I can quit anytime I want....

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skully93

I don't have a problem, I can quit anytime I want....

Post by skully93 »

Local shop had a great deal on a red Helix. 22k miles, recent clutch replacement, tons of spare gaskets, new tires. Runs well. I didn't get a chance to get into the guts before I bought it, but I'm confident the previous owner gave it a lot of love. Got it for 1k. Previous owner traded it in for a 300gts :P.

at 65mph or under, it's disturbingly easy to ride.
it will go faster than that, but the small rear tire makes it squirrely. The footbrake makes it feel weird to me, but I got used to it pretty fast.

JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

well, you couldn't expect to say no to "tons of spare gaskets." obviously, it makes this purchase irresistible to any scooter rider :P

you realize you just bought a Honda Helix, right? all we can do now is wait for your NEXT addition

SA, for you. Scooterholics not so Anonymous :rofl:

the denial is strong with this one....
Riding is riding
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Welcome to Modern HeliBuddy, the home of pretty women, ugly guys, and scooters shaped like cheese wedges.

Looks good, what year is it? It has the "real" Honda/Helix badges (not the cheapie decals) and appears to have steel wheels, so I'm guessing late 80's, early 90's.

22K miles is nothing for a properly-maintained Helix, and getting one for $1K is such an unqualified steal that you should be arrested.

Best of luck with it, and, as always, if you have any questions feel free to ping me.

BTW: Great idea including a Nissan Cube in the second photo. Makes the Helix much more attractive. For maximum aesthetic effect, always try to ride in close proximity to a Pontiac Aztec. :wink:
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

holy cow it does resemble an Aztec :shock:
Riding is riding
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Charlie I know an Aztec owner! I'm pretty sure that was the final nail in the Pontiac coffin...what a piece...

Anyway, it's an '87 (so is my wife, haha!). it came with a good manual too. We were pretty sure we were gonna find Hoffa in the trunk the guy had so many receipts and parts.

I'll need to learn more about looking at the rear brake pads and such, but it had an oil change. I have a polini variator that should fit it, but I'm not in a hurry. Hopefully before winter I will get a chance to dig in a little bit.

Since they took it on trade in I think they got it for a song (likely only a few bones) so there was no love lost there. They did sweeten the deal by lowering the price slightly on some riding boots for my wife.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Does it have the original tool kit? (It's hidden in the trunk, under the mat, left side).
RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

skully93 wrote:Charlie I know an Aztec owner! I'm pretty sure that was the final nail in the Pontiac coffin...what a piece...

Anyway, it's an '87 (so is my wife, haha!). it came with a good manual too. We were pretty sure we were gonna find Hoffa in the trunk the guy had so many receipts and parts.

Hey, I love the Aztec! Very good for horse/dog people and all the critters and kit we haul around.

But as for finding Hoffa in the trunk ... candidate for best line ever on MB! :lol: :lol:
Witch

Post by Witch »

Nice!! I'd jump on a Helix if I had the chance. Rode one for about an hour one day and was pleasantly surprised by it. I think they're insanely ugly, but I liked the way it handled so much that it almost made up for that.

I'm a big fan of the foot brake pedal. Wish newer modern auto scoots had them.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Charlie: Not sure, haven't checked yet. We rode it home, then decided it was time for food, and rode it to dinner. I haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet, but I will look for the toolkit!

Roadrambler: I'm sure they're useful, just the 2 in my social circles have had lots of issues that are simply stupid expensive to fix. Both have fairly low miles, but are 1 major expense from the crusher.

Witch: I think it's just getting used to my Right side doing everything. The left only does the horn (which is pretty loud!). I suppose at least I can make an emergency stop while using the left hand to tell someone turning left that they're #1.
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

Soooo - how's the weather in Egypt this time of year? You're enjoying that big ol' river there, I see... :wink: :lol:

Congrats on the heis..., no, the thef..., erm, stea..., eh *deal* - yeah, "deal" you got there. :mrgreen:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

A Helix for 1k is a good find.
As for the foot brake you will get use to it. I have a Honda 250 Elite it took me a few times before I could step on the brake without having to say to myself "oops... foot brake, foot brake"
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

As a Honda Elite lover, I only have to wonder if I am next...

Charlie55, Ericalm, and now you... You guys are enablers.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

RoaringTodd wrote:As a Honda Elite lover, I only have to wonder if I am next...

Charlie55, Ericalm, and now you... You guys are enablers.
Hey, don't forget Peabody! :D
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Nice find! I didn't know that it had a foot break. I gotta ride one sometime. I still think they look soo god awfull but in a way that's what makes them special. Too ugly to steal, the odd looking one at a rally, but may be the sweetest ride ever. (I only say type this cos I've never ridden one.) Damit Eric! I think you just started a trend... :lol:
Forget the GTS 300, and all the decent classic knock-offs, go for the older wallflower!
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

:wtf: I just don't get it. The Honda line-up of scooters is the ugliest bunch of rubber,metal and bolts I have ever seen, IMO. And I can truthfully say "I will never own a Helix or an Elite" No offense Roaring Todd, just saying.
Genuine, Vespa, Sym, and others, have got scooters that look, well...., like scooters. You guys that own those things are either callous'ed, oblivious, or a little of both. More power to you, at least your going with what you like.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I don't own one but I do know of a Helix with over 100K miles, to me that's a good reason to buy one cheap!.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

agrogod wrote::wtf: I just don't get it. The Honda line-up of scooters is the ugliest bunch of rubber,metal and bolts I have ever seen, IMO. And I can truthfully say "I will never own a Helix or an Elite" No offense Roaring Todd, just saying.
Genuine, Vespa, Sym, and others, have got scooters that look, well...., like scooters. You guys that own those things are either callous'ed, oblivious, or a little of both. More power to you, at least your going with what you like.
The primary appeal of the Helix is that it is a perfect example of Einstein's theory of relativity.

- When my mother-in-law stands next to the Helix, it looks relatively sexy.

- When I stand next to the Helix, I look relatively handsome.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Congrats on a nice find! I'm in the line for " yeah, they are about the ugliest things around" too. I know people love them because, we'll, they are a Honda. My last Honda scooter was a 1984 Areo 125.... Also ugly as a tomato rotting in the trash, and that was why I ultimately sold it. But most definitely an awesome find for 1000 bucks!!!!!!
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I may not own a Helix, but I am working on one. The biggest annoyances to me are that tiny (for the bike) rear tire and the twiggy swingarm/muffler mount with the slotted holes. At least Heidenau makes a tire rated for 81mph in the stock size. The slotted mount holes probably help many mufflers along to a premature demise.

The looks? I ride a Yager, so my idea of scooter beauty is a bit off as-is. I will admit that I ride Elite 80s, really want an Elite 150D and I'd possibly cross the 200cc barrier for an early-style Elite 250. I'm not exactly moved by the Helix, but I appreciate some elements of the design.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
skully93

Post by skully93 »

charlie55 wrote:
agrogod wrote::wtf: I just don't get it. The Honda line-up of scooters is the ugliest bunch of rubber,metal and bolts I have ever seen, IMO. And I can truthfully say "I will never own a Helix or an Elite" No offense Roaring Todd, just saying.
The primary appeal of the Helix is that it is a perfect example of Einstein's theory of relativity.

Exactly! It's so ugly it's cute. 2/3 of the tools you'd ever need are in the toolkit. Parts are plentiful and relatively expensive. In a pinch a lot of cheap knockoff parts would get you through.

I mostly got it so my wife could learn on a bigger bike that I can work on. It's been treated well. There are bound to be quirks but I think it will be a good part of the family.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

They are dog-ugly but must be indestructible. Owners tend to be pretty loyal. Like my PC800, their extreme practicality and reliability makes them beautiful to those who own them.

Enjoy!
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Congrats! That's a great deal... although I will *never* get the styling of the Helix. Butt. Ugly.

But, you cannot deny Honda scooters as runners! I have to admit, if I do get another scooter right now, it just may be an Elite 80.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
skully93

Post by skully93 »

We have a few elites of all sizes at the rallies, and people love em.

A friend owns a Yamaha C3 and an older elite 80, he says he has no desire for anything bigger.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

agrogod wrote:I just don't get it. The Honda line-up of scooters is the ugliest bunch of rubber,metal and bolts I have ever seen, IMO. And I can truthfully say "I will never own a Helix or an Elite" No offense Roaring Todd, just saying.
In fairness to Honda, they have also made some nice looking rides - but even their ugly ones seem to run well :wink: . (Just saw a new Forza 300 the other day - it is really not a step up in appearance either)
skully93

Post by skully93 »

What I'm amazed how well it's held up. There's some fading on the front, and the black plastics are a bit gray, but nothing a little love won't fix.

The horn is nice!

I'll need to de-fog the headlight lens and upgrade the headlight for sure. It's also begging for a rear spoiler with LED's so I don't get run over.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

welcome to the land of the big comfy couch...they are stone reliable.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Scooter riders are "apart from the crowd".

Riding a Honda Elite, and Helix, sets us even more apart.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The 1987 Honda Elite (my avatar) is as close as perfection in form and function of a true classy scoot IMO.

I only need a 125, 250 Elite and a Helix to complete my collection. :P
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

RoaringTodd wrote:Scooter riders are "apart from the crowd".

The 1987 Honda Elite (my avatar) is as close as perfection in form and function of a true classy scoot IMO.

Yeah that's what I always say..."I only need XXX to complete my collection! :mrgreen:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
skully93

Post by skully93 »

RoaringTodd wrote:Scooter riders are "apart from the crowd".

So you, me, and Eric all have 87 hondas. Excellent.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

My first (and favorite) CH80 Elite is an '87. Red, of course.

The Helix I'm rebuilding for Howard is an '87 as well.

Must've been a banner year for Honda! :D
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

'87 is the 1st year for the Helix in the US.

The 80's Hondas are ugly, but vintage 80s ugly. It was the 80s, everything was ugly.
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

SYMbionic Duo wrote:It was the 80s, everything was ugly.
Maybe you could say that about the 80's, for everything *except* for Kelly LeBrock. She was just stunningly gorgeous.

Now, not so much. But back in the 80's.... phew.

:mrgreen:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
Rob

Post by Rob »

skully93 wrote:Local shop had a great deal on a red Helix. 22k miles, recent clutch replacement, tons of spare gaskets, new tires. Runs well. I didn't get a chance to get into the guts before I bought it, but I'm confident the previous owner gave it a lot of love. Got it for 1k. Previous owner traded it in for a 300gts :P.
Congrats, although I'm in with the "these things are just so damn fugly" crowd. But there is definitely a lot to be said for bullet proof rides.

You should now be ready to join Eric in the next CBR?
charlie55 wrote: The primary appeal of the Helix is that it is a perfect example of Einstein's theory of relativity.

:rofl: Very funny. There has to be a fit for that marketing strategy out there somewhere. Would love to see that commercial/ad.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright