Blur "Tank" bags

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Blur "Tank" bags

Post by illnoise »

Having decided the "official" topbox and rack are sort of awkward and don't match the bike that well, and I just dislike topboxes in the first place, I set out looking for other options. I figured a bag that fit over the tank would be nice, since I usually throw my leg 'round the back anyway...

So luckily in Indianapolis, Givi had a nice display (and some other brands, but the Givi stuff seemed the best to me). Phil from POC and I looked at a few bags and determined the Givi T435 Voyager scooter bag would be about right, but we didn't have the Blur there, so he said he'd order one and see how it fit.

He did, and it looks pretty good on the bike (photos below). It's the perfect size, and I guess there's velcro on those tabs, so I need to attach some velcro to the scooter (where can I find orange velcro, ha). I kinda wish it had a map pocket on top, but I can rig something up for the rare occasions when I need a map. It also comes with a shoulder strap so you can carry it around.

I'll post more after I've tried it out, but it looks like a good fit and the velcro will make it easy to get to the gas tank. A lot of scooter shops and MC shops carry Givi, but let me plug Phil at POC scooters (www.clevelandscooters.com, 216-737-0700) , since he's a good friend, does a lot for scootering here in the midwest, he has good prices, and he was good enough to send me photos. : )

Here are the photos:

B.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

Looks like it fits like a glove. I wondered about that when I had a Blur on loan.
- Bryce
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

got the Givi T435 Voyager bag this weekend, it's definitely the biggest bag you could wedge in that space without it getting in the way. I actually turned it around the other way (from Phil's photos above) and it fits a little better, it doesn't block the key/lock as much, and the strap (you can see the clips in front in the photos) runs through the 'shock-hole' so I theoretically don't even need to apply the velcro, but I'm going to just for extra stability. It doesn't cut into your knee-room, and it actually makes sort of a comfortable cradle for your knees, I tend to ride with my knees sticking out sideways, and for some reason, with the bag there, it's easier to keep them straight.

While it was theoretically designed for the Burgman, Phil had it on his MP3 and it fit amazingly perfectly.

I'll write up a more detailed review with photos for 2strokebuzz when I get a chance, but I recommend it if you're looking for fairly unobtrusive extra storage that doubles as a shoulder bag.
BlueMark

Attaching Givi T435 Voyager bag

Post by BlueMark »

illnoise wrote:so I theoretically don't even need to apply the velcro, but I'm going to just for extra stability.
I got my T435 today. I agree the reversed position is a better fit.

Took me a while to figure out that the stiffener board inside the bag fits into the bottom between the two little pockets. Keeps the base open and in its rounded shape.

But before you stick the velcro in place to mar your beautiful orange bodywork :? , you might want to consider an alternative I found on a Burgman board. Attaching a strap to a fairing bolt. In the Blur there is a perfectly positioned bolt that you can attach a short strap with a quick buckle to.
Attachments
Attachment strap on a Burgman
Attachment strap on a Burgman
GiviRigging.jpeg (25.99 KiB) Viewed 4411 times
T435 on a Blur, with "velcro flap buckle" right next to fairing bolt.
T435 on a Blur, with "velcro flap buckle" right next to fairing bolt.
GiviAttachment.jpg (60.61 KiB) Viewed 4410 times
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Attaching Givi T435 Voyager bag

Post by illnoise »

BlueMark wrote:But before you stick the velcro in place to mar your beautiful orange bodywork…
Awesome, thanks, I'll try that.

(But I did find some orange velcro, ha)

Bryan
chizizad

Got mine too

Post by chizizad »

Found a Givi bag at a great store while in AZ called Scootover in Tucson! Absolutely incredible store they had everything a scooter dude like me would ever want! Very professional and knowledgeable very impressed! You guys in Az are lucky to have such a great store!
Attachments
My View
My View
scooter 044.jpg (14.85 KiB) Viewed 4185 times
Snug Fit
Snug Fit
scooter 042.jpg (24.66 KiB) Viewed 4182 times
Notice Reflective nature of bag
Notice Reflective nature of bag
scooter 048.jpg (14.22 KiB) Viewed 4182 times
lou76

Re: Got mine too

Post by lou76 »

chizizad wrote: Very professional and knowledgeable very impressed! You guys in Az are lucky to have such a great store!
true dat... shelby and company are phenomenal...
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

illnoise wrote:
BlueMark wrote:But before you stick the velcro in place to mar your beautiful orange bodywork…
Awesome, thanks, I'll try that.
Dang, it was too good an idea to work... I poked around a few fabric stores and online and it seems like those parachute buckles aren't standardized... It's a 3/4" strap which is a standard but hard-to-find size, and every manufacturer of those buckles makes them differently and I have no way of telling what brand/design Givi uses. The ones at the fabric store looked very different, and I can't find any online that look exactly the same. (It's easier for a goldwing because the bag's turned the other way and you're attaching it to the D-rings on the other side)

The only option I can think of would be to cut off the Givi buckle and replace it with a new one, which is scary because there's wouldn't be much webbing left to sew back together, and it'd be a potential weak spot.

So it looks like I'm using the Velcro. And I don't have enough time before the Lake Erie Loop to order orange Velcro, ha. Oh well, at least I know it'll work allright.

Bryan
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

illnoise wrote:The only option I can think of would be to cut off the Givi buckle and replace it with a new one, which is scary because there's wouldn't be much webbing left to sew back together, and it'd be a potential weak spot.
Better idea: Slip D-rings into the webbing beside the buckles, or use sturdy key rings. Now you have an attachment point for whatever fastener you want to screw into the fairing bolt.

Alternatively you could put a grommet hole in the flap just below the buckle.

I haven't been able to find matches to the GIVI buckles either.

-Mark
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

BlueMark wrote:Better idea: Slip D-rings into the webbing beside the buckles, or use sturdy key rings. Now you have an attachment point for whatever fastener you want to screw into the fairing bolt.
There you go! Dang, wish I'd thought of that.

I already gave up and glued on the velcro. I've got 650 miles to ride next Saturday and I had more important stuff to worry about, like adding the power outlet for my iPod. Hopefully it will short out my electrical system a block from the start, and then I can just go back to bed.

Bb
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

illnoise wrote:...I had more important stuff to worry about, like adding the power outlet for my iPod. Hopefully it will short out my electrical system a block from the start, and then I can just go back to bed.
:rofl: I gotta remember that one for the next Cannonball. :rofl:
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

LOL!
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

I just got this bag from the local dealer. By and large it looks very good, I'm looking forward to using it for purchases, etc. I agree with another post that a place for maps on the top would have been nice. Also, not sure if the main compartment opening wouldn't have been better with a basic zipper and not the zipper sides and velcro middle system. And finally, if only the bag was just big enough to accomodate my helmet, that would have been awesome.

But quibbles aside, I like how I can maximize the carrying capacity of my Blur. This bag, plus the Givi scooter saddle bags, and the Givi case (not to mention the built-in "pet carrier") really makes the Blur handy for shopping around town (just don't leave your shopping goods in the bags, they're not secured by locks like the "pet carrier" or the Givi case, of course). And the tank bag serves as a replacement for the non-existent glove compartment which I've found to be handy for carrying toll money, cellphone, keys, etc. And better than a glove compartment, you can just take the bag with you when you get off the scoot.

One question, do people think it's worth velcro-ing the Blur for this bag? Those velcro patches seem like they'd be eye sores (when without the tank bag). The bag seems to fit fairly snugly already, even without any fasteners. I did try putting the strap through the "coil hole" at the bottom middle of the bike, and secured it at the front of the bag near the scooter ignition. It felt very secure then.

Then again I haven't put anything in it yet, so possibly the additional weight in the bag might move it around a bit more? I'm curious to read how people have been making use of this bag.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

beelzebubbles wrote:I agree with another post that a place for maps on the top would have been nice.
Agreed, especially since there's a shoulder strap, you don't really need a handle there.
Also, not sure if the main compartment opening wouldn't have been better with a basic zipper and not the zipper sides and velcro middle system.
That made me nervous at first, but the velcro made it way easier to pull it open a little with gloves on to check a map or pull out a water bottle.
And finally, if only the bag was just big enough to accomodate my helmet, that would have been awesome.
Then you're getting pretty big and wide though, I like that it frees up my pet carrier so that i don't have to shuffle 20 things around to get my helmet in there. Plus on our ride this weekend, two different people (not on Blurs, but...) locked their keys under their seats and we managed to pry both seats open with brute force, so the pet carrier isn't as safe as you might think. (though of course it's safer than the bag, but you can take the bag with you.)

The Velcro is sort of ugly, but once you get a lot of stuff in there, it starts to wobble, I think it's probably best to go ahead and velcro it (or rig up the latch system above) In any case, you've GOTTA strap it through the shock hole. I don't think running the strap through there presents any problems for the spring or the bag, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

I put my velcro on and it's kinda dumb looking, but I'm not proud (I ride a Blur!). I'd rather know it's secure. I cut a bit off the top to match the shape of the grey plastic, then tucked it under the grey plastic just a little bit so it wouldn't fray or start to peel off in the corners, seems to be working pretty well.

beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

Thanks for the detailed reply and especially the photos! :)
BlueMark

New Tank Bag with Map Case

Post by BlueMark »

Thanks to Crystal at Girlbike we have a good candidate for another Blur tankbag. Like the Givi bag it was designed for the Burgman/Silverwing/Reflex, so it ought to work with the Blur just as well - and this one has a clear plastic map case on top. It has some fancy and very specific attachment schemes for the various models of maxiscooter, so it will take a bit of research to determine which would work best for the Blur. Reflex installation Silverwing installation

Custom Reflex Tank Bag eBay auctions

ImageImageImageImage

-Mark
Rush

Post by Rush »