Is the Hooligan 170i out yet?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dkw12002

Is the Hooligan 170i out yet?

Post by dkw12002 »

Does anyone own the Hooligan 170i yet or is it not coming with the other 2014 models until later since it's a new bike?
Dooglas

Re: Is the Hooligan 170i out yet?

Post by Dooglas »

dkw12002 wrote:Does anyone own the Hooligan 170i yet or is it not coming with the other 2014 models until later since it's a new bike?
I don't believe any of the 2014 Genuines are available yet. Certainly not the "Hooligan" or the Auto Stella.
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

My dealer has 2014 Roughhouse, Buddy50 and Buddy125s for sale.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Spring 2014 for the hooligan according to what I read
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

Yes, I saw that too...maybe April. Wish they would add a radiator, but if it has an oil cooler, I guess that works, except I don't have experience with those and not fond of how it occupies a prominent area of the underside on the Buddy. Weight is probably better though. I have a Grom with a single 125 air-cooled and it does 65 mph tops on the flat which is redline and that never overheats even in Texas summer weather. I was hoping a 170i Hooligan would get me to 75 mph, but it is not looking that way. I am definitely interested in a red one. When they say 55 mph for the Buddy 170i, that is restricted of course, but what is the high speed if it is de-restricted...stock? You think the Hooligan would be about the same? Thanks.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

dkw12002 wrote:When they say 55 mph for the Buddy 170i, that is restricted of course, but what is the high speed if it is de-restricted...stock? You think the Hooligan would be about the same?
The Buddy 125/150/170i scooters are not restricted in the way the 50 is restricted (by an insert in the muffler and a washer in the variator). In other words, you don't do a simple "derestriction" to add speed. In my experience, the bigger Buddys (stock) will do a bit over 60 mph on the level when everything is right. And, yes, I'd think the Hooligan, with the same engine, would do about the same.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

dkw12002 wrote:Yes, I saw that too...maybe April. Wish they would add a radiator, but if it has an oil cooler, I guess that works, except I don't have experience with those and not fond of how it occupies a prominent area of the underside on the Buddy. Weight is probably better though. I have a Grom with a single 125 air-cooled and it does 65 mph tops on the flat which is redline and that never overheats even in Texas summer weather. I was hoping a 170i Hooligan would get me to 75 mph, but it is not looking that way. I am definitely interested in a red one. When they say 55 mph for the Buddy 170i, that is restricted of course, but what is the high speed if it is de-restricted...stock? You think the Hooligan would be about the same? Thanks.
You're not going to see 75 mph in a Buddy 170i engine. An honest 62 mph, maybe 65 mph tops depending on rider weight, height and the terrain but not 75 mph. And, 170i engines are not restricted. You get what you get right out of the box. Unless the Hooligan 170i comes out super light weight and/or has different gearing, it's most likely going to be in the same speed range. BTW, you already have a 75 mph machine - your Vespa 300.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
'08 Aprilia Sport City 250ie (which will do 75!)
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

My Vespa 300 indicates 82 mph at top speed, but you are probably right about the 75 actual. Amazing that 12 in. tires and no wind screen do pretty well at that speed too. I pin it and stay in the middle lane of the interstate usually. I also have a 2013 Zero S with a top speed of 95 mph, but it will give you a warning light very quickly cause the motor gets hot. 80 mph is the highest sustained speed with that bike. There again I stay in the middle lane. The Grom is a right lane only bike and the Metro I ride on the shoulder a lot. My best high speed bike is the 2014 Ninja 300...fantastic bike. It loves to cruise at 85 mph indicated but top speed is about 105 mph they say. 95 mph is as fast as I've had it, but it was very steady and planted at that speed. That has to be one of the very best commuters...65 mph or better. I do like the smaller bikes, but I generally prefer to ride them hard and wot on the highway. That indicated 65 mph with the 170i is a little disappointing, but I think you are right. I'm still interested though and would use it more for secondary roads. We have a lot of 55-60 mph roads....mostly with nice shoulders. Actually, I would trade my Vespa in for the Hooligan 170i (same dealer that sells Genuine, Zero, and Vespa). At least that is what I am considering.
TVB

Post by TVB »

dkw12002 wrote:When they say 55 mph for the Buddy 170i, that is restricted of course, but what is the high speed if it is de-restricted...stock? You think the Hooligan would be about the same? Thanks.
De-restriction is purely a 50cc thing, un-doing speed limitations put in place to just-barely meet requirements in most states for a 50cc-and-under motorbike to be classified as a "moped". There'd be nothing gained by restricting the speed on a larger (or smaller) motorbike.
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

That's what I thought too, but on Genuine's website, it has an asterisk beside the Buddy 170i specs saying 55 mph is the restricted speed.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

The asterisk is to emphasize riding conditions that would affect the speed of the scooter, hills, rider weight, weather conditions, rider experience, etc.. It does not mean it is restricted.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

Did you look at the page? It uses the word "restricted" to explain the asterisk beside the 55 mph top speed. Look up Geniune Scooters, then click on the Buddy 170i.
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

I am the proud owner of a 2014 Buddy 50 - I'm guessing that the Hooligan will be out in the spring, with the other new models. (I can't wait to see the 125cc Stella...)
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

Congratulations. I like the red color myself, and the 2 year warranty. 50 ccs is actually a very good size, esp. a 2 stroke. I went to school many years ago at IU. Tell me, what is the maintenance schedule like for the scoot? Can you easily adjust the valves yourself and get to the spark plug? Does it burn regular gas? The reason I ask about maintenance is because I sometimes like to include a maintenance contract and want some idea what that would be worth per year. Obviously no oil changes, and I can guess about tires, brake fluid, brake pads, etc, but what about valves, etc? Also 2 strokes need to be rebuilt more often, right? How often? Can you get like 20,000 miles out of it before you run into problems and need a rebuild? Thanks
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

Hooligan 170i won't be in the States until April 2014.
Stella Auto January 2014
Brit Buddy 170 in February as well as the Matte Black.
TVB

Post by TVB »

dkw12002 wrote:Did you look at the page? It uses the word "restricted" to explain the asterisk beside the 55 mph top speed. Look up Geniune Scooters, then click on the Buddy 170i.
My guess is that they copied the text from the Buddy 50 page to the other pages and didn't remove the footnote.
TVB

Post by TVB »

dkw12002 wrote:Congratulations. I like the red color myself, and the 2 year warranty. 50 ccs is actually a very good size, esp. a 2 stroke. I went to school many years ago at IU. Tell me, what is the maintenance schedule like for the scoot? Can you easily adjust the valves yourself and get to the spark plug? Does it burn regular gas? The reason I ask about maintenance is because I sometimes like to include a maintenance contract and want some idea what that would be worth per year. Obviously no oil changes, and I can guess about tires, brake fluid, brake pads, etc, but what about valves, etc? Also 2 strokes need to be rebuilt more often, right? How often? Can you get like 20,000 miles out of it before you run into problems and need a rebuild? Thanks
I just got 22,500 before needing a top-end rebuild. The mechanic says the rest is still in good shape. Other than that, I've had it in about once a year (I average 4500 miles/year) for cleaning and inspection and replacement of whatever's getting worn, and the occasional special visit because some minor component needed replacing. I don't do much of my own service, but I can tell you that the spark plug is easy to get at.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Dkw, two strokes don't have poppet valves like four strokes do. Most use a reed type valve to keep the intake charge in the crankcase but doesn't require any maintenance. Some use a rotary valve but again, no adjustments. Most two stroke rebuilds are the result of not enough oil in the fuel. Some folks protect against this by having too much oil in the fuel. This will cause a smokey exhaust and frequent cleaning of spark plugs but that is cheaper than a rebuild. My current two stroke is a Stella so I'm not sure what the little Buddy uses. Stella has oil injection. My old moped required oil added to the fuel tank. Two strokes respond well to high performance mods. That will get a lot more power but at the cost of durability.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Obviously, none of what I just said applies to the 170i.
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

Thanks olhogrider and TVB. I'm pretty sure the Roughhouse has oil injection cause the dealer said you would add 2 stroke oil every 3rd or 4th gas fill up, so there must be a reservoir rather than adding oil to the gas. Does the Roughhouse 50 have the oil cooler?
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

The RH50 does NOT have an oil cooler, just the reservoir.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing