Test rode a couple of scooters today.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dkw12002

Test rode a couple of scooters today.

Post by dkw12002 »

I test rode a Buddy 50 (2014 in light green) and a 2013 Buddy 170i in silver. Both were new bikes with under 2 miles on them, just turned into demos. I liked both of them really. The little Buddy would be to replace my Metropolitan scooter and the 170i would be a replacement for my Vespa 300, so naturally I tried to compare. The 50cc is about 10 mph faster than the Metro (48 mph vs. 38 mph roughly) and has slightly better acceleration. The surprise was with the 170i which I took onto the interstate after it was warmed up well. It goes 72 mph indicated with me on it. You can't really tuck very much cause you bump into the dashboard, but the 10-in. tires were remarkably stable at that speed and that size perfect for around town plus occasional interstate use which is how I would use it. I'm leaning toward the bigger bike, but it depends on what kind of deal I can make. I would prefer a 2014 170i instead of a 2013 since they are priced the same, so that's a factor too. Both scooters are very nice. The only negative is the fairly narrow platform for your feet and slightly more vibration compared to my other 2 scooters, but that's about it. The Buddy 50 is a little heavier than the Metro and the 170i Buddy is slightly lighter than my Vespa 300. Think I'll start reading all I can and check out forums and YouTube videos this weekend.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I'd say Honda metro to any of the Buddys is a step up :wink: . Regarding a replacement for your Vespa 300 - what do you want to be different about your new ride than the capabilities of the Vespa 300? Just trying to understand your desires in a new scoot. Is the Vespa too heavy, is the seat too tall, are maintenance and repairs too expensive, other issues?
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

The 170i Buddy is lighter than the Vespa 300 while still capable of using on the interstate, plus it is comes with a 2-year warranty. My 2012 Vespa is no longer under warranty. Both fit my needs though. 10 mph is very significant when you are talking about 48 mph vs. 38 mph. I spend a lot of time on the shoulders letting traffic pass with the 2006 Metro. Plus again the 50cc Buddy is new and has a 2-year warranty. I trade often, so I really don't necessarily have any reasons other than those and liking new toys.
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

I recently switched from a Metropolitan to a 2014 Buddy myself (in the same color you test-rode today!) and I can say I love the Buddy. The Metro was a good scooter for me to learn on, but when I got to ride a Buddy around for a day while the Metro was in the shop I absolutely fell in love. It's faster, taller, a little bit heavier without being ridiculously heavy (my hubby had a Kymco Sting that was so heavy I couldn't get it on its kickstand!) so I don't get tossed around in the wind so much, and it's even good for long rides, too. I took a 40-mile round trip ride last weekend, and it was wonderful! I'd say go for the 50cc Buddy.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Just a reminder about the speedo. It is significantly optimistic. 72mph on the dial is in reality anywhere from 62 to 65. Keeping with the speed of traffic is what is really important, but I am sure you know this already. Whatever your choice, enjoy it.
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

The Buddy 50 is taller than the Metro for sure, but I actually prefer the lower seat ht. and lower weight, so that is a trade-off vs. the additional speed. I could barely get the 50cc Roughhouse off and on the stand. That stand is farther forward so while it is the rear wheel that lifts off the ground, just a little weight on the rear will cause it to pivot and raise the front wheel instead. That would be good for checking steering bearings, changing the front wheel, but it does make it harder to get on and off the stand. I decided against the Roughhouse for this reason, plus the high seat ht. I am leaning more toward keeping the Metro since it runs well, is cheap, and isn't worth much. It only has 2000 miles on it too. Depends on what kind of deal I can get on the 170i scooter. My Vespa trade-in value is actually higher than the cost of the 170i. ($3520 vs. $3349 for the 170i...plus taxes, title, and whatever else they add on). I do like the lighter weight a lot. My Vespa is a super bike but it is a little harder to move it around in and out of my garage than the Buddy. That's the main issue.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Just my opinion but I don't think that any Buddy is really suited for interstate riding. If that comprises a significant portion of your riding I would suggest sticking with the 300.

Yeah it's out of warranty...but you've already eaten the majority of the depreciation. In general it will be cheaper to have something fixed ...if needed,,,than the additional cost of a new scooter

If you have made it through the warranty period without any major problems you probably have a pretty good scooter. I'm not really sure why you're so concerned with the warranty if one of the criteria is how high the center stand will lift the scooter to service yourself.

A quick tip...if you need more height place a 2x4 or 2 under the center stand.

As far as the Buddy 50 over the Met...I agree...at that size 2T over 4T any day! You can always shave down the seat.

Keep us posted!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
skully93

Post by skully93 »

One thing to factor in vs HOnda, negotiate new tires if you buy new. "I'll buy this right now if you put better tires on it!"

Those stock tires are absolute balls once you've seen the difference.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

I have to agree with BR...... I can't see any Buddy on the highway. At least any kind of major one, with Semi's and the such.... The light weight, small wheels, just isn't conducive to highway riding, even if it could hit 70
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

I've been riding motorcycles for years and ride pretty much every day, so I have a very good feel for how a bike is performing and handling. Yes, the 10-in tires are a bit small for high speed riding, but the 170i I rode seemed well planted, the brakes seemed fine, and I ride smaller bikes on the interstate all the time....like my Grom 125 which isn't quite as fast as the Buddy. Actually, I completely disagree about the interstate. Why? Because there is a slow lane...the right lane and that's where you ride a slower vehicle. People can always pass. The more dangerous roads are the ones many people might feel more comfortable on...such as those 55 mph limit roads where there is no good shoulder or if there is, there is debris in it, or the shoulder ends, or is too narrow. What I have noticed many times is some car and truck drivers give you very little room when they pass. In fact, I am convinced some drivers think they cannot ever go over the center line or they might get a ticket cause they will come inches from you as they go around and yet not cross that center line. This does not happen on the interstate. You will not be the slowest person on most interstates. Also even though the speed limit may be 70 mph, around cities you can rarely go that fast because traffic is heavy. The Buddy would do fine, at least for me. In fact, it would make a very good touring bike.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I agree with DKw on his impression of the 170i. Mine is silver so of course we
know that silver is faster. :wink: As to speed the speedos are at least 5-10% optimistic. By my GPS 60 on the 170i is actually 55. Here in GA on the Xways we have two speed limits. Right lane is FAST, passing lane is FASTER.
Right lane traffic normally runs 80-85 mph, passing lane traffic reaches Prepare For Take Off speeds. I ride on 2 lane state roads where most traffic
runs 60-70 on posted 55 mph roads. I would not ride the 170i on the Xway.
Otherwise I would say that the 170i is the best ride that I have had. :clap: :clap:
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I certainly agree that the 170i is substantially lighter than the 300 Vespa, if that is the primary consideration. I also agree that the 170i is an excellent around town bike and is certainly capable of longer trips when you wish. I don;t agree that it is a good choice for freeway riding. For freeways and long distance touring you are taking a substantial step down in speed and stability from the 300 Vespa. The loss of liquid cooling is also a step down for long distance riding. If those factors are not major issues for how you will use the bike, then the 170i may well serve you just fine. One last comment. You are taking a tremendous depreciation hit by trading the Vespa. You mention the importance of a 2 year warranty. The warranty is nice but amounts to little next to the money loss in the trade-in. In my experience, chances are small you will even make a warranty claim during the first two years of ownership. We have not on any of our scooters.
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

Been thinking about what I want to do and as always happens, I go back and ride the bike I am planning to trade it, usually a little more aggressively, but here we are talking scooters, so not that as much as just riding and re-evaluating the scoots pros and cons. Rode the GTS 300 super around today and I agree that it is a far better interstate machine than the 170i. It is also put together better I think. Anyway, to make a long story a little shorter than usual, I decided to get the 2014 Buddy 2-stroke if the dealer can get me one in either red or white. Not fond of seafoam green mostly cause none of my helmets match. I only ever owned one other 2-stroke and that was my first bike...a Suzuki 185 back in 1975. It was kind of a dual sport bike and I rode it off road quite a bit. Thing is I do not recall every adding oil?? I had it at Ft. Knox and when I went to Germany, I gave it to a friend. It was a very nice bike...kick started every time with one or two kicks. Anyway, I don't really need a tween bike like the 170i since I already have fast bikes. What I want is something to replace my aging Metropolitan. The additional 10 mph out of the 2 stroke is what convinced me. I did have a 100cc 4 stroke a couple years ago (Scarabeo 100) and that was a very good bike for around town and went about the same speed as the 2-stroke Buddy...maybe a couple mph faster. I also looked at a Vino and a Metropolitan as a possible trade, but decided the additional speed will be better for me while the Buddy is still small, light, and gets great mileage which is why I like the little scooters anyway...that plus storage and convenience. Anyway, I'll report back on the new Buddy if I can get it.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

dkw12002 wrote:Anyway, to make a long story a little shorter than usual, I decided to get the 2014 Buddy 2-stroke if the dealer can get me one in either red or white.
I think you have made a fine choice in replacing your Metro with a Buddy. I'm sure it will serve you well. (I also think that the 300 Vespa will continue to serve you well as a touring bike, if that is your decision)
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

dkw12002 wrote:Been thinking about what I want to do and as always happens, I go back and ride the bike I am planning to trade it, usually a little more aggressively, but here we are talking scooters, so not that as much as just riding and re-evaluating the scoots pros and cons. Rode the GTS 300 super around today and I agree that it is a far better interstate machine than the 170i. It is also put together better I think. Anyway, to make a long story a little shorter than usual, I decided to get the 2014 Buddy 2-stroke if the dealer can get me one in either red or white. Not fond of seafoam green mostly cause none of my helmets match. I only ever owned one other 2-stroke and that was my first bike...a Suzuki 185 back in 1975. It was kind of a dual sport bike and I rode it off road quite a bit. Thing is I do not recall every adding oil?? I had it at Ft. Knox and when I went to Germany, I gave it to a friend. It was a very nice bike...kick started every time with one or two kicks. Anyway, I don't really need a tween bike like the 170i since I already have fast bikes. What I want is something to replace my aging Metropolitan. The additional 10 mph out of the 2 stroke is what convinced me. I did have a 100cc 4 stroke a couple years ago (Scarabeo 100) and that was a very good bike for around town and went about the same speed as the 2-stroke Buddy...maybe a couple mph faster. I also looked at a Vino and a Metropolitan as a possible trade, but decided the additional speed will be better for me while the Buddy is still small, light, and gets great mileage which is why I like the little scooters anyway...that plus storage and convenience. Anyway, I'll report back on the new Buddy if I can get it.
After reading your comments above, your past comments and all the other responses to this thread, I'm convinced that you need a "tweener" bike. Something in between your aging 50cc Metro and your 300cc Vespa. You've concluded that the Buddy 170i isn't going to do the job for you so spend some repair $ on getting the Metro in first class shape for the local streets, keep the Vespa 300 for long distance touring and get yourself a Genuine Blur 220i. It will do city streets AND things the 170i can't do and do them very nicely. But, if it were me, I'd get rid of the Metro, keep your Vespa and then get a 170i. Just 2 bikes instead of 3 and the 170i is guaranteed to put a smile on your face. You'll soon forget that pokey little 50cc Metro.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
'08 250ie Sport City
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

I think my Grom 125 is a good tween bike. It goes fast enough for the interstate, but is very light 225 lbs. and so easy to move in and out of the garage and handles like a small bike, but goes 64 mph. The Zero S weighs 335 lbs, goes 95 mph (briefly, with a sustained 80 mph, so I would call it along with the Ninja, 300 a fast bike. The Vespa 300 is also a tween bike, I think but it's weight of 365 lbs. wet makes it a bit heavy. The Ninja at 396 lbs. and a top speed of 105 mph is really the only bike that I head over to the passing lane of the interstate and stay there with, so essentially it is my only really fast bike. Many people would consider all these bikes small and slow. Fast enough anyway for my needs now. I traded in my 2011 Gixxer 1000 that I put 11,000 miles on in 8 months to get the Ninja, and that has been my only supersport, which is what many people would think of as a fast bike. It was that of course. Basically I was looking for a replacement for the Metro and the Buddy is it, plus a little more, but still qualifies as a small bike. Now I have several unique bikes...monkey bike, electric bike, big scoot 4 stroke, small scoot 2 stroke (hopefully, but not quite yet), sporty bike. At some point, if the weight of the Vespa becomes a problem, I may just sell it and not replace it too, but I still ride it almost every day. I am leaning toward lighter bikes mostly because they are more fun. They are all very economical to ride as well even if they weren't cheap to buy....well free was pretty cheap on the Metro, but the Zero S costs under a penny per mile to ride, even if it was expensive to buy. Heck, when I do decide to trade in the Vespa, I might very well trade for the 170i. Nothing at all wrong with the Metro. It only had 970 miles on it when I got it a month ago. Now it has 2200 miles. I do ride a lot. It is only old in terms of the model year really (2006). Like I said, I like new toys.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

skipper20 wrote:But, if it were me, I'd get rid of the Metro, keep your Vespa and then get a 170i. Just 2 bikes instead of 3 and the 170i is guaranteed to put a smile on your face. You'll soon forget that pokey little 50cc Metro.
I think this is a reasonable alternative. Either the Buddy 50 or the Buddy 170i could be a replacement for the Metro as an "in-town" ride. The 170i is the same size and only a few pounds heavier than the 50. There is nothing the 50 will do that the 170i will not do as well (or the 125, for that matter). A few more dollars and a few more capabilities. Either Buddy and the big Vespa would make a nice team in the garage. Depends on your preferences.

(weight Genuine Buddys: 50 - 198 lbs, 125 - 220 llbs, 170i - 243 lbs)
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

The Blur is out for me because of the hump in the middle. You lose the storage on the floor for the most part, plus it was awkward to get on and off of for me. I'm sure I could get used to it, but after I tried to get on it, I pretty much decided against it. The Stella, also a great scooter from what almost everybody says seemed like it wanted to fall to the right so it was harder to balance and the Roughhouse was hard to get onto the center stand for me. None of these should be deal breakers if you really want those bikes, but they gave me pause and I moved on to other possibilities like the two Buddys which suit my comfort level more. I did not test ride anything but the 2 Buddys and liked both of them. I have owned a bunch of scooters..2009 Sportcity 50 (my first since I am mainly a motorcycle rider), Sportcity 125, Sportcity 250, 2009 Scarabeo 100, 2009 Vino 125, 2010 Vespa 150 (the carbureted one in pumpkin orange), 2010 Vespa GTS300 ie, 2012 Vespa 300 Super, 2006 Metro.

Oregon City, huh? I have relatives that live on Center Street on the bluff in a cantilevered home that juts out over the side of the hill with a wrap-around patio that looks out onto Portland. I always like that area and miss Powell's Book Store. Had to see Klickitat Street after reading all those Beverly Cleary books with my daughter too. They tried to rent the home from them to shoot the film Bandits with Bruce Willis a few years ago, but my uncle and aunt demurred.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

dkw12002 wrote:Oregon City, huh? I have relatives that live on Center Street on the bluff in a cantilevered home that juts out over the side of the hill with a wrap-around patio that looks out onto Portland.
Yes, I am familiar with the house. Stunning views down the Willamette toward Portland from that part of Oregon City. But, on more of a scooter note, the rural Willamette Valley to the South from OC is some of the best scooter riding country around. Endless rural roads, two lane highways, farm country, forests, and small towns (not to mention wineries). :wink:
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

It would be good scooter riding with a long riding season if you can avoid rain. We have pretty good scootering around here too mainly with the year around riding and good roads with wide shoulders. River Road in New Braunfels along the Guadalupe is very nice for breaking in a bike, along with the Devil's Backbone..Rt 32 N. of Canyon Lake which features 13 turns one right after the other, but that's best above 60 mph which is the speed limit. For more serious riders there is the Twisted Sisters near Leakey, TX, with steep hills and ess-turns which are really switchbacks following the steep hills. That's where I head with my sports bike. The Canyon riding in California looks like fun too, but I haven't done it yet.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

dkw12002 wrote:It would be good scooter riding with a long riding season if you can avoid rain.
Yes, that is the catch around here. We have a great summer and fall riding season. The winter and spring are hit and miss due to extended rainy periods. That is one reason I go to Florida for a while in the winter. Great way to scratch the riding itch. :wink:
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Well, No slow lanes up here......I've been riding since 1964, so, for a few years. I've ridden everything in that time, and I still wouldn't take a 10 or 12 inch tire anything on the highway, other then a short short period of time. LOaded Semi's, and all kinds of big rigs push too much air... I had a Suzuki DRZ400SM a few years ago, and it was scary when getting passed too. On a back road highway it was fine, it would run over 100 mph... The light weight and quick steering plus it's height was the problem. I don't like getting bounced around out there.
I guess to each his own....but it's putting extra danger in there IMO....
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I would agree with that. However my 170i has surprised me with the unexpected stability of its 10" 'wheelbarrow' wheels. At 55 on the back roads that I ride on wind and Semis going by in the opposite direction have not affected it so far as stability is concerned. It is a light weight (240 lbs wet)
scooter so you would expect it to suffer the wobbles under certain situations.
It is remarkably well balanced. I am weighting in at 185-190 lbs and am 6'1"
tall. Would I ride it on the Xways? No way!!
toot

Can't compare

Post by toot »

You can't even compare the Vespa 300 to a Buddy 170. They just are 2 different bikes .. One small and light weight and flickable, the other a tank the hauls as* My 2 cents :) :) :) :)
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I agree. Down the road when I get old I will consider a Piaggio BV350 and
possibly make a trike out of it.For now and for my type of riding the 170i is best for me!!! :wink:
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I saw a "tricked out" Honda Ruckus going down the interstate once. Guy must have been crazy to do it.

I don't care if Buddys or Groms or Vespas or whatnot can go 70mph, you cannot be seen by the crazy drivers who are going 70mph+ and barely watching the road anyway.

Take the back roads and live to scoot another day is my approach.

Anything else is just nuts on a scooter.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com