Buddy = Less Respect!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Most people smile when they see me on my Seafoam 125, but some don't like the fact that I go the speed limit or a little slower since the speedometer isn't so accurate. Yesterday, I was stopped at a light when a woman in a giant SUV pulled up next to me in the same lane. I yelled at her that I was already in the lane, (i.e., that she belonged behind me) and she motioned to me that I should be in the shoulder, which is BS. It was a right lane on a two-lane road anyway, but I thought her action was overly aggressive.
FenderJack

So bigger is better...

Post by FenderJack »

At okcgravity, I totally agree and I think you worded it perfectly. I do feel that I get passed just because I'm a scoot, not because I'm slow because I do try to "speed" a little just to keep people off my butt.

Today was my first "morning dark" ride. I left the house earlier to avoid as much traffic as possible. There was some fog and a stupid cat didn't get out of the road for me. I actually had to go around it (yep, punked by a cat). I arrived to work safely and I thank my lucky stars every day that I arrive at my destination safely!
OldSchoot

Post by OldSchoot »

okcgravity wrote:I hate to say this given what has been said but....

I can tell a big difference in how traffic perceives me on my Vespa GTS and how they did when I rode the Buddy I used to have. I imagine the OP is dealing with the same issue, and somehow managed to word it as poorly as possible.

I had the same issues, I got pointlessly passed more on the Buddy than I do the GTS, and My butt was ridden while speeding more on the Buddy than the GTS. And I know it has NOTHING to do with the fact that one was a Buddy while the other a GTS. I think it primarily had to do with physical size and visual volume of the bike.

I think the Buddy's smaller physical size makes people more likely to lump it with a Metro or some other smaller 50cc type bike that might struggle to do 45. Once that is in their head they have to get around this slow vehicle, even once I was going 55 they were committed to me being "a small slow scooter".

Where as my GTS is not only physically larger, i think it fills a larger physiological volume due to being black covered with chrome. I think most people look at the larger bike and color and snap to the idea of a bigger cruiser and just relax behind me safe in the knowledge that I go fast.

I don't know how big an Agility is, or what colors the two scoots were, but there could be some of this at play?
I agree with you - the bigger scoots get more respect, and I don't know what you can do about that fact if you are riding a small scoot. Stay on side streets, stay off 55 mph roads, stay off of multi lane blvd's where people are all around you ?? They drive nuts around you in your car and a scoot is not safe on these streets.
JHScoot

So...

Post by JHScoot »

...i was at a light tonight waiting in the intersection after pulling out from the left hand turn lane. i am just sitting there when i see lights approaching from the side. and before you know it some a-hole blows right in front of me and just stops, taking my turn spot from me. i mean i am just sitting there waiting to turn, and this idiot decides to park it in front of me!

now the real insult? the dude was on a SILVERWING!!

it was SCOOTER VS scooter and if i ever see that rider around again he will eat my bj's little red wheels!! who the hell ever heard of a scooter cutting in front of a....scooter! hey SW, pick on a scoot your own size! stupid maxi :livid:

poor 'lil bud. NO respect!!
Riding is riding
SonnyD

Re: So...

Post by SonnyD »

JHScoot wrote:...i was at a light tonight waiting in the intersection after pulling out from the left hand turn lane. i am just sitting there when i see lights approaching from the side. and before you know it some a-hole blows right in front of me and just stops, taking my turn spot from me. i mean i am just sitting there waiting to turn, and this idiot decides to park it in front of me!

it was SCOOTER VS scooter and if i ever see that rider around again he will eat my bj's little red wheels!! who the hell ever heard of a scooter cutting in front of a....scooter! hey SW, pick on a scoot your own size! stupid maxi :livid:

I've had people do that to me, and it does tend to really annoy the crap out of me. I've also had people fight like the devil approaching the stop light I was stopped at to get into the other lane so they wouldn't be "stuck" behind me..... I used to love it...the light would turn, and I'd be gone. I hear them put there foot into it, then a little more and a little more, till they were actually going faster then they wanted to go, just trying to catch up.... I'd always laugh and shake my head when they finally started to pass me... Two wheel riders can be even worse....I'll have guys on Crotch rockets, and Metrics, and a lot of other bikes wave at me when I'm on the Harley... Then the days I'd take the Buddy to work, same route, same guys, and they would snub me......Then I'd hear guys that rode those style of bikes, not these guys but others say how they always got snubbed by Harley riders.... I wave at everyone....Scooter riders would always wave or honk back when I was on the Buddy....But when I was on the Harley and would wave or Honk...they just looked straight ahead....too funny
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

99% of the drivers can't tell a Vespa from a Buddy, so what they are reacting to is your speed mostly and perhaps your size and shape. If you are going slow, they want to get around you no matter what you are riding. I ride my bikes slowly at first to warm up...maybe 10 mph in first gear. People would pass my Ninja liter bike doing this just like they pass my 50 cc scooter. I do the same thing. When I approach a light with a heavy truck in the lane I want to be in, I often come up next to them, then take off faster and cut in front of them. I don't crowd them and it isn't dangerous though. When people cut you off or pass too closely, that's the problem. If you ride bicycles, you get even more of this. Many drivers (often older) do not cross the center line. I guess they think they will get a ticket or something, so they crowd you as they go around but stay fully within the lane even when there is nobody else around and they would be free to swing out well away from you. It's just poor driving and not thinking as opposed to disrespect.
RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

Re: exchanging greetings, I continue after 2 1/2 years of riding to be amazed at how friendly most of the riders of any other PTW are. Probably the least likely to give the wave or a quick honk of the horn are the crotch rocket riders, but plenty of them are friendly, too.

Yesterday, riding northbound on a four lane road (plus turn lanes where needed), I went through a major intersection in the righthand lane. There was a Harley rider waiting in the left-turn lane but I was proceeding on through on green without having to slow down. Still, as I moved into his view he gave me the quick beep on the horn. So anyways, around here the Harley riders are among the friendliest IME. (BTW, it's irrelevant to note I was riding northbound, but that just adds that touch of verisimilitude, doesn't it? :goofy: )

Course, I do wonder if some of the other riders go a little easy on me or are less likely to be scornful because I'm female. Most of the other riders I see are male, and they probably cut me some slack for my smaller ride because I'm not required to be macho and all that. :?:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

In my area the trikers and most of the big bike riders return the salute.
The ones most notable who dont are the 'I am a bad ass biker' types and the
kids on crotch rockets. The former have serious image issues and the latter
are afraid to take one hand off the bars to wave. Oddly, the true BA bikers who might tear your head off and spit in the hole types almost always return the wave. I wave to all and just grin when they do not respond. :wink:
skipper20

Re: Buddy = Less Respect!!

Post by skipper20 »

JHScoot wrote:Hi Guys 'n Scooter Chicks 8)

Do you all find when riding the Buddy you get less respect on the road from drivers then when on another scooter or a motorcycle?

I am finding this and I doubt it's my imagination as I have rode an Agility 125 for the last few years and this was the first week I rode my Buddy for an entire week straight. What I found is drivers cutting me off, trying to pass when they can't, and moving into the next lane, even if behind a few cars, when they approach from behind.

I was at an intersection with a double lane left turn recently and the lane next to me was piled 6 cars deep to go left....but not even ONE decided to pull up behind me!

This seldom happens on my Agilty as it's bigger...and of course the fastest color made.

But this past week I have been cut off, recklessly passed, and pulled out in front of on more then several occasions!

Just wondering if you find the same when on the Buddy when opposed to your other bikes? Even if scooters, too.

I is getting 'kinda nervous. All of a sudden THEY are out to get ME!

I was passed and cut off by a pizza delivery guy last night just to beat me into a left hand turn lane on an otherwise empty street. He got the Stebel and the Buddy Bright Light in his mirror....but damn! :cry:
I have a 170i Italia so that olive green color gets noticed. BTW, "They" are not out to get you - You're just looking for an excuse to use that Stebel IMHO that is.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
'08 250ie Sport City
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I plan to put a Stebel horn on my 170i amnd me restoration project, a Honda CB400a motorcycle. That will get their attention!! :lol:
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

JHScoot wrote:...i was at a light tonight waiting in the intersection after pulling out from the left hand turn lane. i am just sitting there when i see lights approaching from the side. and before you know it some a-hole blows right in front of me and just stops, taking my turn spot from me. i mean i am just sitting there waiting to turn, and this idiot decides to park it in front of me!

I had some dumb chick try to get in front of me as I stopped waiting to make left turn. She got a surprise of her life: the Buddy horn blearing at her :twisted:
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Stormswift wrote:

I had some dumb chick try to get in front of me as I stopped waiting to make left turn. She got a surprise of her life: the Buddy horn blearing at her :twisted:
i also honked. he turned his head slightly perhaps thinking a truck got behind us. he took off like a bat out of hell so was in a hurry. i suppose its not the most serious traffic offense and i thought shortly after "maybe thats acceptable among bikes?" but of course it is not. is it legal? not sure, doubt it. i could have decided to pull out a bit more into the intersection at th exact time this guy cut in front of me. it really was that close. and he would have hit me. pretty sure ALL traffic is to be behind me at that point and not whipping around me

what if i'd been on a Harley or gixxer? would scooter boy had swiped at me then? doubt it

i thought of my poor Buddy afterward and had a good :cry: for it
Riding is riding
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

I think that no matter what scooter I ride, Bloomington drivers think I'm invisible. Bright red Honda Metro, really bright seafoam Buddy - doesn't matter what color or size, people just don't pay attention here. And it's not just cars - I'll have pedestrians walk out in front of me without looking, or bicyclists pull in front of me after a car passes them and weave across the lane so I can't pass. Gives me a severe case of scooter road rage, heheh.

Although all that could possibly be because Bloomington's a college town, I dunno. I do notice that most of the stupid disappears in the summer, when the students go home.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

And now we have reached the inevitable point where no Buddy rider reads the original post. This behavior is rampant among Buddy riders as they continuously exhibit poor decision making skills.

I will however commend the Buddy riding posters. Your contributions have been clear and concise. The attention to detail has ensured that you will be noticed by any posters that may have not been paying attention, thus placing you in danger of being grammatically run over by a disrespectful Benz poster in search of DINK (yes...it is all caps as they are perusing a big Dink!)

:mrgreen:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Rusty J

Post by Rusty J »

BuddyRaton wrote:And now we have reached the inevitable point where no Buddy rider reads the original post. This behavior is rampant among Buddy riders as they continuously exhibit poor decision making skills.

I will however commend the Buddy riding posters. Your contributions have been clear and concise. The attention to detail has ensured that you will be noticed by any posters that may have not been paying attention, thus placing you in danger of being grammatically run over by a disrespectful Benz poster in search of DINK (yes...it is all caps as they are perusing a big Dink!)
That'd be "Grand Dink", not big.

In the US market, Kymco calls that model the Grand Vista though.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I thinks it's visibility more than model of scoot.

On my red Met with it's neon yellow motorcycle flag, me with my neon yellow vest/jacket, and helmet you can't miss me unless you are blind.

Granted a bigger and higher profile machine helps too. But I had people waving me on and waiting for me all the time. Lots of respect!

On a black scooter of any size you'd better get as ''hi viz'' as you can, no matter if others think you look ''dorky'' or not.

''Alive'' trumps ''cool looking'' every time.

My Psycho is gonna be seen decked out in hi viz style. I don't care how that looks, juat so it's seen by other drivers.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

What Whimscootie said :!: :!: :clap: :clap:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Rusty J wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:And now we have reached the inevitable point where no Buddy rider reads the original post. This behavior is rampant among Buddy riders as they continuously exhibit poor decision making skills.

That'd be "Grand Dink", not big.

In the US market, Kymco calls that model the Grand Vista though.

Which has progressed to "Now I have read the original post but I don't have the time or interest in reading the thread but let's correct people even if I don't have a clue what they are talking about!

Please refer to the post of Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:09 am for context of your quoted statement!

Before I am corrected on the names of imported Kymco products please note that this is a humorous comment. In other words...Remember all...don't be a Dink!

It is important to note that while SYM uses the HD designation here in many places it is called a Joyride 200 or a Joyride 250. So remember you can straddle a Grand Dink if you think you can handle a big Dink (note...big is a synonym of grand...the use of Big Dink has a more humorous tone for visualizing someone riding it than Grand Dink) of if you are just looking for a Joyride put a SYM between your legs!

Now it is a very difficult argument to make as to who gets more respect

Someone riding their Buddy as hard as they can pounding the "pavement" mile after mile

The rider taking everything a Big (for the SC [scooter correct as opposed to politically correct] please insert Grand}Dink can dish out to fulfill the needs of those that just can't get enough Dink.

Or the Joyrider...we know that they really wanted to name it a Hard Dink in the US but just used the initials. These are people that tend to take a more thoughtful approach to a Joyride...some Barry White, rose petals, a long luxurious Joyride...making a night of it before reaching the climax of the riding experience

No matter which gets more respect is probably a personal opinion and in my case would depend on my state of mind. I do request that all forward videos to me of their various attempts to gain respect on their particular steeds!

I now nominate this for stupidest thread of the year! :mrgreen:

WHY RED IS RED!
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Rusty J

Post by Rusty J »

BuddyRaton wrote:I now nominate this for stupidest thread of the year! :mrgreen:
Please, everyone, even though there are 6 weeks left in 2013....

Do not take this as a challenge!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Ha, indeed, Rusty!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

As the owner of a New Dink Euro 3 (say that ten times fast, then Yager sounds less silly) painted in the least-visible color (blue-black) with no SOLAS tape or extra lighting, I've never felt the need to upgrade to a Grand Dink. My plain ol' Dink does the job just fine. Plenty of go and big enough for other motorists to take notice of its presence.

The throbbing and pulsing is easily fixed with a better set of bar-end weights if you find it disconcerting. Might need to de-glaze the clutch bell too.

I must admit that my Dink has gotten rather dirty as of late, I should probably give it a good washing and, if the mood strikes, give it a good polishing.

If you haven't read my musings about my Dink, see this thread. If you have ever considered test-riding a Dink, I encourage you to try it. Heck, I you see me at a ride-out, just ask. I'd be glad to let you take a spin on my Dink!

Good grief, that was hard to write. Seriously, I dig my bike. :lol:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
mobrien689

Talking about no respect...

Post by mobrien689 »

I was at a ride JFK scooter ride in Dallas this weekend and during one of the stops another rider came up to me and said, "They put that horn on the Buddy so it wouldn't have an inferiority complex". I know my Buddy's not jealous, but that guy for sure was jealous of my shockingly loud horn.
JHScoot

LONG STORY SAD BUT TRUE

Post by JHScoot »

Happy Thanksgiving! the holiday season is officially begun and good cheer is in the air. but for Buddy the cheer is sour. talk about the holiday blues :cry: :P

:D

so Buddy and I are getting ready to charge up one hell of a hill at the corner of Colorado and Fig in Eagle Rock when a small, broke ass pick up with a faded HD sticker in its darkly tinted window pulls out in front of it from a driveway. its all good as the light has gone red and i have plenty of time to slow, but not forever. i slow to around three car lengths behind the truck and it swerves to the right a little, then back in. and i know its driver has looked up and saw a bright light in his mirror, startled at the BIKE that just came out of nowhere. but it didn't. Buddy was there the whole time :ninja:

so i am behind this guy at the red light, my headlight turned to the side as to not shine in his mirrors, the light turns green, and we go. its all good as i know this guy is a 'bro cuz of his HD sticker and i feel safe following him up the hill, leading a parade of several other cars behind. even though he could have creamed Buddy just a moment earlier, scooters have forgiving souls :wink:

so the truck speeds up a bit, Buddy keeps pace. mind you its a long grade and i am 220 pounds. a 150cc scoot is not going to rip up this hill. the right lane is open but the entire line of cars is more then happy with the lead pace and stays put behind me. as we approach the top of the hill and it begins to flatten the truck gains momentum and shoots ahead. Buddy follows and then....

....the truck begins to slow. and then it begins to move to the side. i approach cautiously, line of cars behind me. the truck moves back in and as i approach, slowing, out toward the curb again. so with not much other choice but to pull over behind it or pull in in front of it or keep going....i keep going. of course, its the thing to do. and as Buddy and i pass we look in the drivers open window and a big, bald, tough looking mofo is shouting obscenities at us and asking if i want a piece of him and flipping fingers and threatening bodily harm. his face is in a rage and i think if he has a gun he is going to shoot me or the scoot or both

the kicker? i still don't understand why! so i pull over because i am not riding in front of this sons of anarchy outcast nor am i going to be anywhere behind him. i have one dark street to turn off and i want witnesses if i need to beat him down lol so i just pull over and hope he keeps going. and he does. with around five CARS following much closer then i was???

and then i "got it.' it was all about Buddy. had it been a Harley, a 'bro, a fellow pirate, he would have wanted to know about the bike behind him, he may have pulled over to let the bike pass if he thought it was following too close, and he would have had immediate props for his fellow rider

but Buddy? nah. no respect

Riding is riding
TVB

Re: LONG STORY SAD BUT TRUE

Post by TVB »

JHScoot wrote:and then i "got it.' it was all about Buddy.
Right... because it couldn't be because the guy was psychotic, or because you startled him which makes him angry with himself for not noticing so he has to misdirect his anger at you, or because you look like the guy who slept with his boyfriend after the Halloween party last year. It has to be because he recognized the model of your scooter. :roll:
MGM

Post by MGM »

An (insert appropriate word, rhymes with manhole) is still an (insert again) whether on a Buddy, Sym, Kymco, Vespa or ten speed. Let this thread die already. Even though it is fun to encourage a ten year old in this behavior.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

If I cared about "respect" I wouldn't have ridden 49cc scoots for 7 years out in "Harley Country"!

HA HA!

Oh, yeah, and I ALWAYS got "the wave".

"Respect" is all in the head of the rider.

If you respect your ride then it's all good!

BTW, this WAS a fun thread...sort of!

:shock:
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Re: LONG STORY SAD BUT TRUE

Post by BuddyRaton »

TVB wrote:
JHScoot wrote:and then i "got it.' it was all about Buddy.
Right... because it couldn't be because the guy was psychotic, or because you startled him which makes him angry with himself for not noticing so he has to misdirect his anger at you, or because you look like the guy who slept with his boyfriend after the Halloween party last year. It has to be because he recognized the model of your scooter. :roll:

It never would have happened if you were riding a Big Dink! However even if riding a Big Dink you still may have reminded him of the guy who had a Joyride with his boyfriend after the Halloween party last year.
www.teamscootertrash.com

ferg52

Post by ferg52 »

Had my first personal encounter with another rider at a stop light yesterday.
He was riding a really nice sport bike and came up along side me to check out my Buddy 125. Asked about the engine size, told me it was a beautiful bike and fist bumped me. Made me feel very well respected. I even got through the next light before he did! Quick off the line those Buddys!
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

ferg52 wrote:Had my first personal encounter with another rider at a stop light yesterday.
He was riding a really nice sport bike and came up along side me to check out my Buddy 125. Asked about the engine size, told me it was a beautiful bike and fist bumped me. Made me feel very well respected. I even got through the next light before he did! Quick off the line those Buddys!
All right! 8)
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

'suuuuup! posting vids and know it has some ***NSFW*** language

also, i'm posting :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/j-Uwa8iLMno" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

so i wasn't on Buddy today but have a related story to share to counteract the bad biker in a pick up truck story i posted above

but i was probably lucky i wasn't on Buddy 'cause it may have gotten me lol'd at instead of making new friends

:P

so i am getting ready to mount my Agility and a guy working as a driver and looking like a biker approaches and says "you're too big for that bike. you need a bigger bike"

yeah, i know. but honest to goodness thats a direct quote. the scooterist in me was laughing my ass off, but i kept it cool and said

'well, its a scooter. its supposed to be small, etc'

"well you still need a bigger bike"

noticing his pirate garb and long hair i asked if he rode. and yes, he does. Harley, weekends only now, going out for a charity run this weekend or the next.

we had a real nice conversation about bikes, he said a used Honda would be great as a first bike because of reliability and he had a 750 Honda some time back

he told me when i get my motorcycle look him up and we'll go riding. says the people he rides with don't give a damn what you ride. its all good and lot's of Harley's are around but all bikes are welcome. so i thought that was cool

and since he said "all bikes" i almost asked if it would be ok if i just brought Buddy? but alas, i think not :lol:
Riding is riding
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

So referring to the original post we can now conclude that it doesn't make a shit bit of difference if someone is riding a Buddy or an Agility as far as respect goes.

Something 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of all scooter riders knew before the insanity of this thread was initiated.
www.teamscootertrash.com

Christophers

Post by Christophers »

BuddyRaton wrote:So referring to the original post we can now conclude that it doesn't make a shit bit of difference if someone is riding a Buddy or an Agility as far as respect goes.

Something 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of all scooter riders knew before the insanity of this thread was initiated.
LOL
kentuckybuddy

New to the scooter world

Post by kentuckybuddy »

This is my first post but had to get my 2 cents in. I have had big motorcycles and my last was a smaller Yamaha 650. I do not have a Buddy 125 as of yet but will be checking with the Dealer in Lexington in May when the wife and I go there to see our Grandaughter graduate from West Kentucky then. When he said that no one wanted to pull up behind him at a stop light I think (MO) it is because as on my 650 sometimes the light would not change because the bike was not big enough to cause the "thing" in the road to let it know you are there so the light would change. So I was told to put magnets under the bike and that took care of the problem. So I am sure some of those drivers wanted to make sure they were not stuck behind you while the light did not change. Again MO. Also, I think even riders on Harleys with three wheels do not get respect. I am sure You have seen some of the bigger motorcycles where they added an extra wheel on each side of the rear tire and so the two wheel bikers call them training wheels and they also get no respect. Who cares. I have always gave scooter riders a wave and even some of them did not return the wave. But that is ok. I am at the age now where we want to put a Buddy 125 on the back of our class A motor home instead of the bigger 650. Sold the 650 a while back but love all the reviews on the Buddy and think it is a good choice for the wife and I. Again, this is all MO. John and Linda Mayfield, Ky.
CTB170i

Post by CTB170i »

I have not had anyone try to get in front of me just to make a turn or a light....

I have noticed, cars behind me choose to move to the other lane, as they think I'll be slower... Often I just scoot away while I laugh and the other cars behind me now stuck behind slower cars in the other lane they moved too...

I had one pickup driver give me the middle finger as he past, I waved back at him...

Most people are a-holes driving cars and make me laugh as I watch them prove that they are a-holes as they drive...

Yes, I stay hyper alert... but that's just part of sharing the road while on two wheels...

It's worse when I'm cycling in the bike lane...
Newbie Scooterist
Buddy 170i
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

There are folks that show a lack of respect for me, and others, on the road. I know I get quite a deal of respect here in St. Louis while I'm cruising down I-55 and I-44 to get to and from work. My 170i going 60-65 is well within the limits of traffic, so I assume they just don't mind. I've not even had a problem with drivers when moving lanes to make the left side exit from 55 to 44.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Capt_Don wrote:There are folks that show a lack of respect for me, and others, on the road. I know I get quite a deal of respect here in St. Louis while I'm cruising down I-55 and I-44 to get to and from work. My 170i going 60-65 is well within the limits of traffic, so I assume they just don't mind. I've not even had a problem with drivers when moving lanes to make the left side exit from 55 to 44.
If I was going 60-65 mph on a Buddy down an interstate I wouldn't be focusing on who gave me respect either!

I'd be in a "death grip" on those 10 inch wheels and praying to my Guardian Angel to get me to my destination in one piece!

:lol:

BTW, love your avatar! 8)
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Whimscootie wrote:If I was going 60-65 mph on a Buddy down an interstate I wouldn't be focusing on who gave me respect either!

I'd be in a "death grip" on those 10 inch wheels and praying to my Guardian Angel to get me to my destination in one piece!
I ride the freeways around here almost routinely on my Buddies. At first the experience was similar to what you imagined, but it quickly becomes comfortable once you realize that you'll be fine. :)
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Christophers wrote:
Whimscootie wrote:If I was going 60-65 mph on a Buddy down an interstate I wouldn't be focusing on who gave me respect either!

I ride the freeways around here almost routinely on my Buddies. At first the experience was similar to what you imagined, but it quickly becomes comfortable once you realize that you'll be fine. :)
No "imagining" here. Just plain old reality with a dose of logic and experience: Me in the right lane doing 70, the rest of them passing and threatening to run me over doing 80-90+.

And this is in my car!

:shock:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

So I am not the only one with this problem. :(
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Wolfhound wrote:So I am not the only one with this problem. :(

If ya mean looking death in the eye on the freeway, no!

Seems to be getting worse and worse, IMHO.

I drive any way but the freeway when I can. And I'm talking in my car!

:roll:

Sorry to hijack the thread...done now.

:P
libwitch

Post by libwitch »

I am chiming in here late because this my second summer riding my Buddy - previously I have ridden an Honda Aero 150 (oh that was a long time ago) and a Honda Shadow 700.

Honestly, I don't notice any differences - I mean, there will always be D*&^ on the roads, but I don't see them in any greater numbers now then I used to. Granted, I don't take my Buddy out on highways - I stick to the local roads and parkways, but that was the same rule I had with my Aero.

I think I could count on one hand the number of bikers that haven't given me a acknowledgement of some sort when I have passed them, which has really sort of surprised me (even when I pass pretty large packs) - and this weekend I was picked up by one and found myself riding with one for about two miles and then they all sent me off with waves and hollers - and they were all Harleys.

The biggest attitude I have gotten so far is from someone who drives a 900 Suzuki into work - we park next to each other and sometime arrive at work at the same time. Man, she could be in Mean Girls.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I get waves from 50% of the riders on our roads with my Buddy 170i but 100% acknowledgement when I am riding my TGB Laser 150 with my sidecar attached. For some reason the sidecar gets a lot of attention. :wink:
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I get waves and smiles on my C3 all the time.

Not so much on the Buddy.

Maybe it's the "cute factor" of the C3?

:wink:
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Whimscootie wrote:I get waves and smiles on my C3 all the time.

Not so much on the Buddy.

Maybe it's the "cute factor" of the C3?

:wink:
They're mistaking it for an old Cushman. Those get respect. :)
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I wonder how much respect you'd get if you were riding a Harley topper?
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

Whimscootie wrote:
If I was going 60-65 mph on a Buddy down an interstate I wouldn't be focusing on who gave me respect either!

I'm not going to say I don't sweat when cruising down the interstate, because I do, but it's not bad at all. The speed limit is 60 and I register 65-74 on the speedometer without even WOT. I also command respect with my sexy Belle bumper-stickers. I imagine when I add my Fluttershy bumper-sticker people will be scared of me. I'm bad to the bone.

Thanks for the AV complement, I'm making that into a patch for the back of my jacket.

I seem to gain more respect when my wife is on the scooter with me. People start waving more. At me right? It's at me...
DariaSen

Post by DariaSen »

Capt_Don wrote:I imagine when I add my Fluttershy bumper-sticker people will be scared of me. I'm bad to the bone.
I know my Dash cutie marks strike fear in the hearts of men.

I found personally that while on the Buddy, even if I'm doing speed limit or more, that because it has the same lines of a DUI cruiser people tend to want me on the side of the road. That's why I always gear up (people tend to take me more serious when I actually look like a rider and not tourist) and own my lane. Smoking them when the light turns green also puts people in their place. :wink:
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I get a wave from MC's maybe 20% of the time on the scooter. When I ride the Suzuki S40, some dudes go out of their way to toss a wave or low deuce!

Whatever. Some get it, some don't.
My neighbor's son put it really nice: "Hey, as long as it's got 2 wheels!"
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Capt_Don wrote:
Whimscootie wrote:

I'm not going to say I don't sweat when cruising down the interstate, because I do, but it's not bad at all. The speed limit is 60 and I register 65-74 on the speedometer without even WOT. I also command respect with my sexy Belle bumper-stickers. I imagine when I add my Fluttershy bumper-sticker people will be scared of me. I'm bad to the bone.

Thanks for the AV complement, I'm making that into a patch for the back of my jacket.

I seem to gain more respect when my wife is on the scooter with me. People start waving more. At me right? It's at me...
What are you riding at 65 - 74 mph on the Interstates or is that kph? If it's mph there's no way it's a Buddy unless it's a significantly modded Buddy. Even so, with those 10" tires you're courting disaster IMHO.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Buddy 170i's get less respect 'cuz they don't have a kickstart. :wink: