GPS vs. indicated speed for Roughhouse

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dkw12002

GPS vs. indicated speed for Roughhouse

Post by dkw12002 »

I just checked the indicated speed vs. the GPS speed using my TomTom on my 2014 Roughhouse 50cc 2-stroke. At an indicated 30 mph, it is 28 mph by GPS. At an indicated 40 mph, it shows 34 mph by GPS. At an indicated 50 mph, it shows 43 mph, and at an indicated about 54 mph (top speed), GPS shows 48 mph. Looks like top speed is 48 mph actual.
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

That's what we call BMPH (Buddy Miles Per Hour); the speedometers are notoriously inaccurate. And 48 actual is really quite good out of 50cc. Always amazes me what these little things can do.

The way I see it: we get almost 50 actual mph out of 50cc. So the snob scowling at me on his 600cc sport bike should be able to go nearly 600 mph right? Heh heh. Now that is a test of performance! :wink:
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

I can peg my speedometer consistently and based on the above numbers I am fairly sure that it would be about 52 or 53 mph. Of course that's at WOT with no more to spare, and certainly not eligible for HWY riding, but I do get the look from others who seem to be stumped as to why my "moped" goes so fast.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

50 mph is just below the speed at which tucking would achieve some additional speed. You can't really tuck very well on a scooter anyway since the dashboard is in the way. I have occasionally taken a small scooter on the interstate to avoid construction, detours, etc. on the access road for an exit or two. In Texas the law reads that you can't impede the flow of traffic, which essentially you almost never would in the right-hand lane. We think nothing of big trucks going 45 mph on the interstate. Of course in some states, those aren't legal on interstates either.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Since I added a wind screen its helped. But I still wouldn't attempt a HWY ride.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

Wikipedia says the Aprilia SR50 with fuel injected ditech gets 90 kmh or 59 mph unmodified and derestricted. That is probably the fastest of the 2-strokes. I test rode one a couple years ago but didn't buy it because of what seemed like a lot of problems with the bike on forums. Plus it was expensive compared to the 100cc 4-stroke scooter I bought instead. When I need a rebuild which is hopefully not for 10,000 miles or so, the dealer has agreed to do it free, but I may just pay a little extra and get some more speed out of it. By that time it will be out of warranty too. The owner of af1 racing told me they can get at least 60 mph out of the Roughhouse with some inexpensive mods. Exactly what he has in mind, I don't know yet.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Somewhere in my search's I did find a 100cc jug that could be fitted to the RH, but there was all sorts of mods that had to be done to get it to fit. Maybe that's what he was referring to.
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

I don't think so cause he said I could just put a "little money" into it and I remember distinctly phrases like that. LOL. AF1 racing sells the Aprilia 2 stroke also, races 2 strokes, and so they do a lot of rebuilds. If I had to guess, I would say he would be talking about a larger jet and an 80cc kit, but he didn't say. I like the exhaust note of the Roughhouse. It's my loudest bike for sure. I'll ask what he had in mind next time I see him. It may never happen simply because I trade bikes pretty fast. I've never kept one for 2 years...the warranty period of the Roughhouse, but maybe it will be the first.