2014 Harley-Davidson Street 750 & 500

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lance Corona

Post by Lance Corona »

New entry level Harleys

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/620/17348 ... --500.aspx

749cc liquid-cooled Revolution X engine, V-Twin 60° four-valves per head
494cc liquid-cooled Revolution X engine, V-Twin 60° four-valves per head
6 Speed Transmission
Belt Drive
2-into-1 exhaust
Mid-mount controls
Single caliper disc brakes
Two-up seat with passenger pegs
Metal tank and fenders
LED tail lights and bullet signals
Locking gas cap, forks and ignition
17 inch front wheel, 15 inch rear wheel
59.5 inch wheelbase
480 pounds (wet)

500cc HD...who would have thunk it. :shock:
Dooglas

Re: 2014 Harley-Davidson Street 750 & 500

Post by Dooglas »

Lance Corona wrote:500cc HD...who would have thunk it. :shock:
Well, Harley has built just about everything at one time or another. I was surprised they discontinued the Buell. It will be interesting to see how this goes.
Syd

Post by Syd »

A Harley I'd actually look at. Too bad all the video talks about is attitude, agression and 'that Harley sound'. I just don't get it.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

I guess you just have to Live it, to understand it.......I understand it completely. I hope these get a few smaller people, or older people into riding..They will be made right here in the Kansas City Plant......
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

These will surely be referred to as sissy bikes by "real" HD riders, just as the Auto Stella has already been crowned by "real" shifty stella riders. I've seen some comments on line, it seems the Harley guys are up in arms because HD is selling off their masculinity to less masculine males.

I think it's a smart move to make a bike that doesn't weight 1,200 lbs OR cost $15k. Harley's do not make good everyday transportation because of that, these should sell well.
MGM

Post by MGM »

I don't believe for a second that these are targeted at the US market. They have long had their sights on India and other Asian emerging markets. These will be built in their existing Indian plant as well as in the US. From a global marketing marketing standpoint, this is a good move. If they sell a few here, it's a bonus.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Very interesting. I've seen a few non-cruiser Harley's that have really caught my eye and these look even more appealing to me.
I don't want to give up maneuverability, MPG's or the overall "fun factor" of my Buddy but often want a bigger bike and have seriously considered getting back to a MC. The Suzuki Boulevard has really been tempting me lately as has the Bonny and the Norton Commando Sport (but I feel they're overpriced). I'm sure any Harley will also be overpriced just because of the name but several of the bikes in the photos are really sharp. Hope they're made well. I also hope Indian will bring out a smaller bike so there's another American option.
Maybe I would be happy with a SCS Greaser 250cc.....
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

"Real" Stella riders? Lol. Stella riders are still black sheep because it's not a Vespa.

The Piglettes will be welcomed, because it has the company brand, and because bikers won't have to go buy a honda rebel or shadow for their women to ride.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Oh, and black sheep isn't derogatory. Stella's are taking over the "vintage" scene. We roll in packs :D
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

The 883 used to be the "girl bike", according to some motorheads. Now I guess they'll make fun of these smaller bikes and the 883 gets rehabilitated. :D
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

SonnyD wrote:I guess you just have to Live it, to understand it.......I understand it completely. I hope these get a few smaller people, or older people into riding..They will be made right here in the Kansas City Plant......
why "smaller" or older people? i am a big guy, not OLD, and these and the XR1200 are the only Harley's that interest me as motorcycles. not just because what they are but because what they aren't, exactly
Riding is riding
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Tocsik wrote:The Suzuki Boulevard has really been tempting me lately as has the Bonny and the Norton Commando Sport (but I feel they're overpriced)....
Gosh, have you priced an S40 Suzuki lately. They are a heck of a bargain (and a fine light weight bike) in my opinion. I have seen 2012 new old stock going for as low as $4,000.
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

These probably won't ever see the light of day in the States.
People here like displacement, and pricing would be too close to the 883.
These are going to be for Europe and Asia only as they are smaller and more nimble for around town.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Alexbv200 wrote:These are going to be for Europe and Asia only as they are smaller and more nimble for around town.
The press announcement says they will be built at the Harley plant in Kansas City for the North American market, and a Harley plant in India for the European and Asian market.
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

Dooglas wrote:
Alexbv200 wrote:These are going to be for Europe and Asia only as they are smaller and more nimble for around town.
The press announcement says they will be built at the Harley plant in Kansas City for the North American market, and a Harley plant in India for the European and Asian market.
Wow...

Awesome... but I don't think they will do well here.
Surprisingly, I think they make more HP than the 883 does no?
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

JHScoot wrote:
SonnyD wrote:I guess you just have to Live it, to understand it.......I understand it completely. I hope these get a few smaller people, or older people into riding..They will be made right here in the Kansas City Plant......
why "smaller" or older people? i am a big guy, not OLD, and these and the XR1200 are the only Harley's that interest me as motorcycles. not just because what they are but because what they aren't, exactly
For one, because there are a lot of people who are afraid of trying to ride a 900-1100 pound motorcycle, so they will go for smaller/lighter type bikes. Second, older people that haven't been life long riders, or who have ridden, but can no longer handle a heavier bike due to some physical reasons. Many of them opt to go to a Tri Glide (3 wheeler).
I've had sport bikes, way before anyone had even coined that term, and just migrated to the cruiser chopper style 30plus years ago.

I think so of you are completely wrong on the market aspect. The metric makers sell a lot more 6-1000 cc cruisers then larger models. These will be a stepping stone for the same people in that bracket, that would rather have a Harley then a metric. Same as the Sportster is now for those starting out , to make that step up later to a Big Twin.
I think they will sell well in this country
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

PeteH wrote:The 883 used to be the "girl bike", according to some motorheads. Now I guess they'll make fun of these smaller bikes and the 883 gets rehabilitated. :D
Actually I haven't heard anyone say that for years, other then to just kid around...... In actuality, more females buy a Soft tail , more then any other bike, because of there low seat height? Everyone usually thinks its the Sportster, but th
At isn't true. Sportsters are fairly top heavy and hard to maneuver in a parking lot
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

BeefSupreme wrote:These will surely be referred to as sissy bikes by "real" HD riders, just as the Auto Stella has already been crowned by "real" shifty stella riders. I've seen some comments on line, it seems the Harley guys are up in arms because HD is selling off their masculinity to less masculine males.

I think it's a smart move to make a bike that doesn't weight 1,200 lbs OR cost $15k. Harley's do not make good everyday transportation because of that, these should sell well.
Actually 1200 pounds is about 300 pounds too heavy for the heaviest Harley. I don't think 15,000 exempts a bike from being a good everyday bike. Most anything of decent size and capabilities cost at least that muck. My bike weighs about 800 pounds and cost around 20,000.... It makes a fantastic mode of transportation. It's not great for running to the grocery store a few blocks away to pickup a couple of items...... But then again neither is a 400+ pound scooter......hence the Buddy/Stella
RexM

Regarding the India angle

Post by RexM »

MGM wrote:These will be built in their existing Indian plant as well as in the US. From a global marketing marketing standpoint, this is a good move.
Interesting comment at RideApart on the India aspect:

http://rideapart.com/2013/11/2014-harle ... 1109900465

For what it's worth, I agree with the folks who think these bikes have some potential in the US and other markets. I bear little resemblance to the Harley image and don't find cruisers particularly compelling but if I had the coin and were considering a motorcycle purchase I wouldn't rule out the Street 500 or 750. Having said that, I'm not crazy about V-Twins. I've never ridden one but they seem like bone-rattlers. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could comment on whether that's inherent to all V-Twins or just the Harley flavor. I also don't love the sound but it's tolerable when it's not too loud.
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Harley uses a 45 degree V. Not great inherent balance. Ducati and some others us a 90 degree V which has better dynamic balance. So, the V twin may not be an issue by itself, be the V angle can help make things better... Or not.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
Syd

Post by Syd »

OldGuy wrote:Harley uses a 45 degree V.
The Streets are using a 60° V. At lease according to motorcycle.com's EICMA report.
Syd

Post by Syd »

SonnyD wrote:
PeteH wrote:The 883 used to be the "girl bike", according to some motorheads. Now I guess they'll make fun of these smaller bikes and the 883 gets rehabilitated. :D
Actually I haven't heard anyone say that for years, other then to just kid around.
Somebody (a woman) at work rides a Sportster. I asked her if it was the 883. She flashed a look of disgust so fast it made me step back. So yes, some people do still have that opinion.

Huh, I'm going to have to ask her what she thinks.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Syd wrote:
SonnyD wrote:
Actually I haven't heard anyone say that for years, other then to just kid around.
Somebody (a woman) at work rides a Sportster. I asked her if it was the 883. She flashed a look of disgust so fast it made me step back. So yes, some people do still have that opinion.

Huh, I'm going to have to ask her what she thinks.
Well, people that ride 1200's want people to know they ride 1200's it's a pride thing......kind of inline with why 80% or better of the people who ride Metric bikes, that are Harley clones, take the Name badges off....you know, the Suzuki, kawasaki, Yamaha...and why Yamaha just used the 'star name instead of Yamaha.... To the majority of public, these bikes look like Harley's....and I've heard them say Nice Harley, to some of these people, and all they do is say Thanks...LOL.....
SonnyD

Re: Regarding the India angle

Post by SonnyD »

RexM wrote:
MGM wrote:These will be built in their existing Indian plant as well as in the US. From a global marketing marketing standpoint, this is a good move.
Interesting comment at RideApart on the India aspect:

http://rideapart.com/2013/11/2014-harle ... 1109900465

For what it's worth, I agree with the folks who think these bikes have some potential in the US and other markets. I bear little resemblance to the Harley image and don't find cruisers particularly compelling but if I had the coin and were considering a motorcycle purchase I wouldn't rule out the Street 500 or 750. Having said that, I'm not crazy about V-Twins. I've never ridden one but they seem like bone-rattlers. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could comment on whether that's inherent to all V-Twins or just the Harley flavor. I also don't love the sound but it's tolerable when it's not too loud.
Mine is pretty smooth. I've been riding Harley for over 30 years.... Some models are smoother then others. Some have counter balancers, some don't. It's actually a better angle then some of the others. I've ridden lots of Ducati's, my neighbor has always had them. Every single one of his I've ridden vibrate more then my Harley except and old 907ie that he had, and it's more of a painful buzzing vibration. All V twins vibrate more then an inline 4...... but even those can be buzzy... I had a CBR 600 that would numb my hands. Everyone I rode, did the same. I had a 1985 BMW K1000 that I bought new, that the ride side foot peg buzzed my foot so much it was painful.
Not every one likes a cruiser bike, a Harley, a V twin, sport bike, crotch rocket, etc. That's why there are a lot to choose from.....
I happen to like mine to be Halrey, Big, and Loud....but that's just me...
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned, all my Harley friends Loved my Buddy.....they all wanted to take it for a ride....I'd say, that's a pretty open mind......lolol
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I very much like the idea of these, especially for HD. Admittedly, I'm just not a cruiser guy and never will be. A big reason is the ridiculous displacement creep and weight gain that comes with it. Just not something that appeals to my preference for small, efficient, maneuverable and well-engineered.
Dooglas wrote:
Lance Corona wrote:500cc HD...who would have thunk it. :shock:
Well, Harley has built just about everything at one time or another. I was surprised they discontinued the Buell. It will be interesting to see how this goes.
Harley used to make a 125cc motorcycle and import a great 250cc. A different company, a different time, I guess.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

The Aermacchi's were pretty "so so".... not long on longevity, and long on maintenance... Typical for a Italian bike of the 60's The 2 strokes were better then the 4. Walter Villa had pretty good success on the race bikes, but I think that was due more to his ability then strengths of the bike itself.
I said for the first 27 years of my riding experience that "I'll never ride a Chopper"....of course there were no cruisers back then, then I said that "I'll never ride a cruiser, when they came out" Then in 1982 I bought a Yamaha Virago....that was the MOST uncomfortable bike I ever owned. Crappy seating position, lousy ergonomics, etc. They were copying Harley even then, but were going for a "look" not comfort. I swore off again, "never another cruiser" I Liked my 1972 Harley Super Glide that I bought new in 72, but sold it cause it was so maintenance intense, plus it was an AMF...the worse Harley's ever made.
Well in 1984 a riding friend of mine bought a new Softail Harley. He asked me if I wanted to ride it. At that time I was riding a 84 Honda CB 700SC Nighthawk. I declined for about a month, and then gave it a try and fell in Love!!!!!! I had a new one in about 2 months..I never looked back after that.
I was still riding sport bikes too. I kept that 84 Softail until 2000. In 1998 I bought my last sport bike, a Suzuki TLR1000 V-Twin Superbike. I rode that along with the Softail. In 2000 I bought a new Heritage Softail, and in 04 gave up on Crotch rockets completely. Just couldn't take cramped riding position anymore except for about an 80 mile stint....
I learned to "never say never" in my life, because many of the things I found myself so turned off for.....I became completely inthralled...I still like all bikes and scooters....if it's got 2 wheels I'm in....I did just a few short years ago buy a new Suzuki DRZ400SM.... and rode it for about 2 years. One of the most fun bikes I ever owned...weighed about the same as the Buddy with 10 times the HP.....and nimble as a bicycle... Not good for the highway even though it could run over 100mph....too light and tall....but super fun back road play bike...
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I feel like Harley has heard my pleas. It weighs under 500lbs and will have more range than the Sporty. I bet Harley will sell the 500 in the states. They can lure a lot a young guys that would have bought a new Honda CB 500F/X/R.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Yamaha makes the "bolt" which is a Sportster clone to the Nth degree....it starts about 8K it's 940cc....about 500 more then the Harley 750, plus it's 60 pounds heavier then the Harley, and has a 5 speed tranny as apposed to the 6spd in the Harley.....haven't seen the HP of the Bolt, but the Harley is almost 60... and since the Bolt was a little faster then the Sportster 883 that has 52 hp...and weighs more, the Street 750 shoulld easily run or beat the Bolt.... I think the 750's will fly off the floor...I wouldn't mind having one myself...a REAL Harley, light, fast and nimble for under 7500 dollars...I'm In....
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

I hope Harley is successful with these new bikes, and that it helps change opinions about what a Harley is. I really dislike the "attitude" that they currently try to portray.

I also remember the Aermacchi bikes. And I thought some of them were interesting. In fact at that time they were the only "Harleys" I could imagine owning. Since then Harley has done some flat-tracker and café racer styles that are very nice, and I would buy. And I wish they'd play on those themes more.

The new bikes ought to do great overseas. And they have promise here. I wish them well.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Glad to see Harley trying once again to broaden their product line. They see the need to get younger riders onboard and seem to have done their homework. I find the 750 interesting because it should outperform the Sportster easily and be more affordable as well. If anyone's checked the price of a Honda Shadow 750 lately, you can see Harley has the price point right.

The Harley "Faithful" will wail and gnash their teeth but the bulk of them will be aging out soon and their opinion won't make any difference.

480 pounds sounds huge to scooterfolk but is pretty light for a full-sized street MC. IIRC, a Hayabusa weighs about 550, for example.

V-twins can be exceedingly smooth, especially if counterbalanced. My 23 yo Honda has a V-twin that is ridiculously smooth.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I saw a Victory Hammer on my way from work today and realized the Street 500 really resembles it with the tapered rear fender and 60 degree engine.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Syd

Post by Syd »

That's pretty nice for a Victory, IMO. Some of their models stretch the limits of imagination, and not in a good way, if you ask me.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Street 500 - $6799
Street 750 - $7499

Delivery Schedule available in a week or two.

Per my local HD dealer today.
Syd

Post by Syd »

jrsjr wrote:Street 500 - $6799
Street 750 - $7499

Wow. I could buy a GTV for that! :rofl:
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Syd wrote:
jrsjr wrote:Street 500 - $6799
Street 750 - $7499

Wow. I could buy a GTV for that! :rofl:

True, scooters are usually less expensive than motorcycles. I think the point is that Harley is trying to expand its line and not concede
everything but the heavies to the Japanese.

I would have preferred more of a standard layout but you gotta sell what the people want.

I like the Victories but have had a chance to at least sit on several different models. They feel exceedingly long to me.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

OldGuy wrote:I hope Harley is successful with these new bikes, and that it helps change opinions about what a Harley is. I really dislike the "attitude" that they currently try to portray.

I also remember the Aermacchi bikes. And I thought some of them were interesting. In fact at that time they were the only "Harleys" I could imagine owning. Since then Harley has done some flat-tracker and café racer styles that are very nice, and I would buy. And I wish they'd play on those themes more.

The new bikes ought to do great overseas. And they have promise here. I wish them well.
Racer repica's don't sell well......that's why they don't continue them. they aren't going to make something that won't sell....
I've heard for years, "if harley made a race type bike, I'd buy it"..... and they came in such throngs for the Buell..... it's now defunct, LOLOL
and "If harley would just bring back the XR I'd buy one"..... it came back, and the 5 people that wanted one, bought one, and now they are Gone....
Cycle World did a nice review of the Europe only Seca 650 back in 1983 and everyone said "wow, I wish they'd bring that to the states, and so the next year they did....and it lasted like 1 year" Same thing with the Honda GB500 Manx look alike....lasted about 1 year,
Niche bikes just don't sell well....well good enough for a manufacturer to keep producing them when they sell in such small numbers that it isn't worth while.....or remotely profitable...
American buyers are so fickle... in the 80's you could hardly find a road bike, everyone was ball's out Off road/ moto cross......then it cycled to Crotch rockets....now to Cruisers.... Who knows where it will go next, but the constant, is always Harley.... They always sell, always will, it's a legend, whether anyone wants to admit it or not.... so comes the attitude... when the cruiser phase slows down...and the Japanese move on to something else, Harley will cut their output down, and limit the amount of bikes in the dealers, and the prices will go back up.... It's been that way for 110 years.....
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Southerner wrote:Glad to see Harley trying once again to broaden their product line. They see the need to get younger riders onboard and seem to have done their homework. I find the 750 interesting because it should outperform the Sportster easily and be more affordable as well. If anyone's checked the price of a Honda Shadow 750 lately, you can see Harley has the price point right.

The Harley "Faithful" will wail and gnash their teeth but the bulk of them will be aging out soon and their opinion won't make any difference.

480 pounds sounds huge to scooterfolk but is pretty light for a full-sized street MC. IIRC, a Hayabusa weighs about 550, for example.

V-twins can be exceedingly smooth, especially if counterbalanced. My 23 yo Honda has a V-twin that is ridiculously smooth.
Wow, I feel so Loved, LOL...... I'm aging out and my opinion won't matter.... Wow...... astounding.... You really should go to a Harley dealership sometime, and just hang out for a while..... Tons of young people in there, in their early 20's and 30's not just shopping, but buying... yeah, I know Harley Demographic says it's around 50 or so.... hardly old, unless you are in your teens or early 20's... Once you hit 30, 50 doesn't seem so old....
and No Wailing or Gnashing of teeth here either.....I welcome the new bikes. It will allow people that don't want to spend 15,000 or more to get into a Harley...of course you can do that now with about any 1200 Sportster model. 7500 puts it smack in the middle of the hot metric cruisers...as I stated before. For some reason people think these won't sell well here.... I think they are dead wrong... First thing I see people do that buy metrics is De-Badge them....they want people to think it's a Harley, they don't want that metric badge on there....when they can buy a Harley for the same price they will go for it....
Really feeling the love...lololololololol
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I don't think you're typical of that particular crowd. The mere fact that you own a scooter makes me think so.

There's a difference between people who like, love or merely admire Harleys from a distance and the "Faithful." The Faithful are the "nuttin but a Harley" crowd who diss the Sportster as a "girl's bike", whatever that is, and don't consider the V-Rod a real Harley. Naturally everything else is beneath contempt.

I know there are great numbers of motorcyclists who own and like Harleys and don't have the silly prejudice but believe me, I see the Faithful on a daily basis. They do exist.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Actially the "faithful" are my crowd..... I just don't see attitude. You would not picture me as a "scooter rider" if you saw me... I have a huge Harley Tattoo on my arm....and look like about every other "biker" you see, or have seen picture of. Yeah, we still give people that ride Sportsters a "hard time" some times, but it's good natured...To me, if you ride...you ride.....I won't ride anything motorcycle wise, other then a Harley, cept for the scooters...I never have a problem with anyone riding something else, unless they cop that "my bike is way better then a Harley" and start making stupid comments....That's always the people I see a few years later riding a Harley, LOL..... I'm old enough, that I've ridden about everything and owned a lot of them....To me, what anybody else rides is their decision, I'm not paying for it, so I could care less..... I don't know.... maybe I am out of the ordinary.... but I just seem like the rest of my Brothers to me.... maybe I'll post a picture some time, LOL
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I think you must indeed be somewhat out of the ordinary, tats or not.

Which is not a bad thing.

I have never owned anything but Japanese in my life but have wanted a Harley since just a little tyke on a Suzuki 50.

Of course, I also want a scooter.

And a Moto Guzzi, my favorite among the Italians.

And a toaster tank Beemer.

The list goes on and on.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Southerner wrote:I think you must indeed be somewhat out of the ordinary, tats or not.

Which is not a bad thing.

I have never owned anything but Japanese in my life but have wanted a Harley since just a little tyke on a Suzuki 50.

Of course, I also want a scooter.

And a Moto Guzzi, my favorite among the Italians.

And a toaster tank Beemer.

The list goes on and on.
I've ridden a few Guzzi's... a 750 sport, and a 1000 LeMans.... a couple of Laverda's, and all of my neighbors Ducati's...
I owned a toaster tank BMW (1973-1/2) LWB. I bought it win 8000 miles on it in 1976 and traded it in, in 1982 with 115,000 trouble free miles... It was a Great bike and so simple to work on....
never have gotten to ride a Vincent, or a Brough, or anything ultra exotic...but still would like to, just for the History involved..... Not enough days to ride them all.....
RexM

Regarding the faithful

Post by RexM »

I know a fair number of people who have Harleys and off the bike they cover a variety of ages, occupations, appearances, and personalities. Sure there are some similarities that bear up the stereotype, but they are mostly superfluous. When it comes to their opinions of bike choice, my experiences corroborate SonnyD's: having a Harley is important to them, but it's cool that you ride whatever makes you happy.

By contrast, and I hate to generalize in turn, at another site with high participation from [redacted] riders, the mere mention of a Harley product brings out a storm of derision, both of the bikes and the mooks who are too seduced by the Harley image to realize they are riding inferior bikes. Always amusing to hear accusations of group-think sung in a chorus.

I suppose all of this might be a selection issue. Maybe it's a compliment to my acquaintances that they are diverse and pleasant, while the other site in question happens to just attract big egos. No doubt there are many [redacted] riders who aren't judgemental at all, like the ones here. These are just observations from my experience.

Edit: I want to emphasize that I am not being negative about other types of riders, just relating my observations in contrast to the generalizations commonly attributed to Harley owners. I only mentioned my observations of another on-line community as an example of the tendency to pile on. I like both, own neither and definitely have no dog in any fight.
Last edited by RexM on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SonnyD

Re: Regarding the faithful

Post by SonnyD »

RexM wrote:I know a fair number of people who have Harleys and off the bike they cover a variety of ages, occupations, appearances, and personalities. Sure there are some similarities that bear up the stereotype, but they are mostly superfluous. When it comes to their opinions of bike choice, my experiences corroborate SonnyD's: having a Harley is important to them, but it's cool that you ride whatever makes you happy.

By contrast, and I hate to generalize in turn, at another site with high participation from sport bike riders, the mere mention of a Harley product brings out a storm of derision, both of the bikes and the mooks who are too seduced by the Harley image to realize they are riding inferior bikes. Always amusing to hear accusations of group-think sung in a chorus.

I suppose all of this might be a selection issue. Maybe it's a compliment to my acquaintances that they are diverse and pleasant, while the other site in question happens to just attract big egos. No doubt there are many sport bike riders who aren't judgemental at all, like the ones here. These are just observations from my experience.
Oh yeah, I agree completely..... I think Sportbike riders are way worse then any Harley riders I know.... As you said, their ideas always make me laugh..... They are talking out of jealousy for the most part.... IMO..... They will say how bad a Harley is, and about Harley riders..... and I doubt a single one of them has ever owned a Harley, or probably even ridden one..... I will guarantee you...... there are a whole lot more Harley riders that used to own one of the metric crotch rockets or cruisers, then vice versa......LOL
Even the females I know, you couldn't get on one of those bikes...so painful for the passenger, perched way up high on that little seat....then when there are the ones that show up that ride with us, the passengers are always complaining, to the other girls about wishing they weren't sitting on the back on that "plank"
I always say " if you want to know more about a Harley then any Harley owner can tell you,, just ask one of the crotch rocket riders, they have all the info." LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I'm still thinking of maybe getting a GROM.... I think it would be a blast...
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Um, dudes, let's try to keep this positive, okay? This stuff gets indexed by Google and folks will find it and come here looking for a fight. I'm not busting on you, it's just that I've made this mistake before myself. Also, I am a former Harley owner myself, so, ahem... yaknowwhatImean?

Thanks! :)
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Oh yeah, I forgot the new retro-UJM from Honda. Back when they were so common, we didn't appreciate them the way I can now.

Wouldn't mind a Vespa, but, like the Guzzi, there are the usual problems with Italian stuff.

So I would be more interested in the new automatic Stella. No clutch cables to replace.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Oh, didn't think of that, Sorry..... I thought it was positive.... but I guess if it got mis catagorized by google, it could be a problem.... Sorry again...
Syd

Post by Syd »

Southerner wrote:Wouldn't mind a Vespa, but, like the Guzzi, there are the usual problems with Italian stuff.
Huh?
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I meant like difficulties getting parts. I thought that was just a stereotype but keep hearing and reading things that make me believe that it is indeed true.

I would be happy to hear otherwise.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Southerner wrote:I meant like difficulties getting parts. I thought that was just a stereotype but keep hearing and reading things that make me believe that it is indeed true.

I would be happy to hear otherwise.
Knock wood I won't have any problems with my BV350 (though the local dealer did have to 'borrow' a spark plug cap from a scoot in stock).