Having Second Thoughts...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Whimscootie

Having Second Thoughts...

Post by Whimscootie »

I put a refundable deposit down on this Psycho in Indiana the other day and I have to admit I am having second thoughts about going through with the deal.

Before you all flog me with a wet noodle, let me explain. And then maybe someone(s) can get my mind straightened out on this issue one way or the other.

First, I have ridden 4 different scooters in 6 years, 2 of them 49cc. What I enjoyed about those was the zippy ride, the nimble handling, and the small lightweight handling characteristics.

Interestingly these are all characteristics that I've read about re the Buddy scooter too. With that and all the other features on the Buddy, I had come to conclude through my research that the Buddy would make the best "all around" scooter for me (tootling about town, riding back roads, longer trips out into the country).

When I went to see and ride the Psycho I had never ridden a Buddy before. Over the years I've owned and/or ridden: Honda Ruckus, Honda Met, Honda Elite 80 and 110, Yamaha Zuma 125, Honda Big Ruckus, Honda Helix, Kymco Agility 125, and Kymco People 150. These are all the scoots I've ever driven.

So we go to the house for me to ride the Buddy Psycho. I am excited and giddy, naturally. The owner goes over the scoot with me and I then am ready to try it out for myself in this nice neighborhood with quiet streets.

Finally, I am "on the eve" of trying the scooter that everyone is raving about!

I got on, nice reach to the ground with the balls of my feet, comfortable reach to the handlebars. I start it up and it ROARS to life!

That is what I mean: "roars". I couldn't believe how loud it was (regular pipe here). Now I've been used to Honda scoots, which are reputedly very quiet. No kidding.

Not only is it roaring, but it is vibrating. I make a comment about that to the owner and he tells me it will settle down around 30-40mph. Ok.

So I give it throttle, expecting a crotch rocket and it sluggishly rumbles forward. The throttle felt "mushy". Once I got it to the street and throttled it went forward and I had to give it a lot of throttle to get it moving. I got up to around 35mph and it still rumbled along and I thought, "WTF is all the hype about here?" while at the same time feeling SO disappointed.

Guys, it felt like a tank: big, lumber-ey, oafish, and when I let up on the throttle it was slowing down immediately. No coasting at all. In fact, on the whole ride I never had to use my brakes to stop. Just let up on the throttle.

So now I am telling myself, "I'm tired, I'm not used to a bigger scooter, it's cold, the scooter is cold, etc." but am determined to see how it maneuvers in the cul-de-sac up ahead. The "nimbleness factor". I was disappointed there too.

I finally made it back to the house and got off and just felt dumb founded. I rationalized my impressions by telling myself that I would just have to adapt to a new scooter's handling and characteristics.

And maybe that's it. I don't know. I put down a deposit, knowing I could get a refund if I changed my mind.

Since then I've been torn between celebrating what I felt was "the one" to wondering if I am getting myself in for a big disappointment. I keep telling myself it's got to be me not being used to another scoot, that 1000s of Buddy riders can't be wrong. But truth is, I'm not feeling it.

I know the feeling of test riding a scooter and being excited to get back on it. I can't understand why I went ahead and put the money down, but I was caught up in the hype and emotion.

Help me out here. Is this the typical experience of riding a Buddy? The roar, the vibration, the mushy throttle, the sluggish deceleration to a stop just by not giving it juice?

Is it me? Is it the scooter? What do you Buddy lovers think?

Thanks for anything to get me thinking. I have only a few more days to make a final decision....
Last edited by Whimscootie on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

How many miles on this bike, and has it sat for any period?
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

sounds like this Buddy may have some issues. it sounds like it is under performing. the handling part i can not say? my Buddy handles like its on rails. albeit small rails :roll:

the Buddy is not as quiet as my Agility but it sounds like a small engine should imo. not objectionable at all

i think maybe you can find another Buddy and test ride it for comparison?

i like your blog, btw =]
Last edited by JHScoot on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riding is riding
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

The first impression I get from your description is that there's something wrong with that particular bike. Almost sounds as if you're dragging a brake - try walking it with the engine off to see if there's a lot of rolling resistance. How many miles on it, and did the current owner provide any documented maintenance history?
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

A little over $2K mileage. Guy has babied it and kept it in his house. Very meticulous about his ride.

I AM considering going to a local shop and seeing if I can try out another Buddy 125. Might be able to find one prepped.

I'm thinking I need to go back and ride it again, but it is a LONG haul back there and with work and dark at 5pm, etc. hard to do right away.

I've also considered an Agility 125 and one I test rode blew this Buddy out of the water!

Enjoy the blog?...thanks!
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Interesting... It should have felt silky smooth and quick...
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

That is good to hear from a Psycho owner, "silky smooth and quick" because it wasn't any of that.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

The agility 125 is not a bad bike at all, but if it blew the psycho away there i something wrong with that psycho. I have a friend with a psycho, and it is everything the 125 buddy is...only better.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Obviously I know nothing about this bike that you have tried. I can tell you that I have ridden 50cc Buddys and own a 125 Buddy. They weigh close to the same. They are exactly the same size. The 125 is no louder than the 50 - if anything, it is quieter. If you enjoy riding a 50cc scooter, there is no reason why you would not enjoy a 125 or 150 Buddy. The only difference is the 125/150 will accelerate better and hold it's speed on a hill as a 50 never could.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I have to agree that there seems to be something wrong with this scoot. I ride a lot of scoots and the Buddys are consistently among the zippiest and best handling of the bunch.

There are a number of things that could cause such symptoms, from airflow to a carburetor issue or fuel filter problem, fouled spark plug and so much more.

I wouldn't advise giving up on Buddys — and test riding a new one may be a good idea. But you might want to give up on this one. It's either got something wrong with it or isn't going to make you happy, neither of which is good.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Could it be it needed to warm up more?

I think I will ask to go back out and ride it again....
skully93

Post by skully93 »

the psycho should be fast and very nimble. I would try another buddy 125 (because it will be very similar)

One thing that MIGHT be a factor, the psycho had the adjustable shock in the back. maybe it needs to be stiffened a little. At 2k miles it should be ready to go.

Keep in mind if you get a good price, nothing wrong with having it serviced at the local shop and given the once over. could just be an old tank of gas or something making it sluggish. That isn't a ton of miles for it's age, so maybe it just wasn't ridden a lot.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

If you had such a bad impression of this particular scooter, I would just move on and look for the next one. Why go on another long haul to ride the same scooter again?

Spoiled milk doesn't "go good" if you put it back in the fridge.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

I agree with Tocsik. The scooter does not seem to be running right, but unless it is really inexpensive, you won't be happy unless you can get it running the way you want which means putting more money and time into it and even then getting it running really well might not happen. When something is inexpensive, you are more forgiving of some things and can get used to them. When you pay a regular price, the vibration, lack of power, etc. will just drive you nuts. Plus I would trust my first impression. That's when you notice things that stand out either good, or in this case...bad.

Try another brand. The best 125 scooter I ever owned was a 2009 Aprilia Sportcity....smooth and plenty of power and speed with a nice sound.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

charlie55 wrote:The first impression I get from your description is that there's something wrong with that particular bike. Almost sounds as if you're dragging a brake - try walking it with the engine off to see if there's a lot of rolling resistance. How many miles on it, and did the current owner provide any documented maintenance history?
A dragging brake is the first thing I would check for. Another way to check is with the scooter on the center stand spin the back tire by hand, it should spin fairly easily, then spin the front.

Also, if you do test ride again you should try to go at least 8-10 miles. The first 2-4 miles will get the scooter warmed up and the next miles are for you to get used to the scooter.

Buddies are loud compared to many small Hondas, but at over 45 mph you don't really hear anything but wind noise. As for handling, the Buddy does handle pretty good. Before I got my Buddy I owned 3 Honda Elite 80s, the Buddy steering does feel "heavier" but you need that when you are going 60 mph.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

It may also have the 'performance' pipe on there, which is a little louder. you'll know as it is an all stainless pipe instead of the mostly black one.
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

Tire pressure check?
Whimscootie

Thank you all!

Post by Whimscootie »

Ok. Such great feedback and so many possibilities. I will check them ALL out when I get the scoot home!

Yes, I decided to go forward with the deal after talking more with the owner and the local Genuine dealer wrench.

Thoughts are that the scoot has sat a bit and might just flat out need to run and get that gas circulating: think Seafoam!

Maybe a slightly dirty carburetor. Maybe because it was cold that day and I never got it warmed up. Maybe because it's new to me and louder running than a Honda Met. Etc.

Admittedly it sat more than was ridden last season as the owner bought another scooter and rode it more.

As for the "mushy" throttle, the wrench informs me that the tension on this can be tightened, which I sort of knew.

I can go and ride it again for as long as I like and I just might do that this weekend.

Meanwhile, I am going forward with the deal because I feel that it is mostly a case of a scooter needing to be ridden with a little Seafoam added and maybe an adjustment here or there.

Once I get it I am going to go through the checklist you all provide and make sure everything is good to go.

8)
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

optimism will get you a good scooter. congrats!

pretty sure it most likely is minor unless the owner is hiding something. you seem a pretty good judge of things, so i doubt that. and you have a local Genuine mechanic?

aces, i say :)
Riding is riding
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Are you going to be doing any maintenance yourself or taking it straight to the dealer?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Oh, and CONGRATS!

There's very little that could commonly be wrong with a Buddy that can't be fixed, often fairly easily.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I feel that way too and in all ways the owner has presented as honest, meticulous about caring for his scooter, and it is just a mighty fine machine.
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Glad you were able to make a deal. Seafoam sounds like a great idea. Keep us posted please, and know that the Buddy hive mind is here for you!
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!