Scooter Repair in Nashville

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dsmith65

Scooter Repair in Nashville

Post by dsmith65 »

I'm looking for a place to take my scooter to be repaired in the Nashville area. It has a fuel leak, and the first place I took it to said they'd look at the carb and check it out while replacing by rollers and belt. They didn't find anything and chalked it up to an over fill. But there has been a distinct gas odor for awhile and shortly before I took it in gas was starting to drip onto the garage floor. It is coming out through the air box.

Last night I completely dried out the air box, and this morning it's still draining. So I pulled the pet carrier and there is fuel under the carb assembly. I can tell the carrier wasn't removed so they obviously didn't check the carb like they said. Attached are some pictures if anyone thinks this can be a do it yourself fix. I've changed the oils, and rear tire, but that is the extent of the work I've done on my Buddy. So if those skills are enough I'll tackle it unless I can find a shop. In the picture where the red circle is, there is a hose opening that is hard to see. Should that be attached to something?

Thanks everyone.
Attachments
Hose opening
Hose opening
carb2s.jpg (192.03 KiB) Viewed 712 times
General picture showing leak
General picture showing leak
Carb1s.jpg (120.88 KiB) Viewed 712 times
MB #2349
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

There is probably a carb drain tube back there. If so, it is possible that the float valve in the bottom of the carb is not closing/sealing properly. This allows too much fuel into the carb which would then drain out of the overflow.

My guess is that there is a little gunk jamming the float valve, or the valve itself is worn.

This could be exaggerated if the manifold vacuum shutoff at the bottom of the tank didn't seal completely when the engine is off.

Also, can you pull the "pet carrier" out, and look to see where the fuel is coming from? Hope this helps
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

Thanks, those pictures were from inside with the pet carrier removed. I'm going to try the local Honda dealership.
MB #2349
hal888

Post by hal888 »

Try checking out scootnashville.com . There is a maintenance section that includes links and contact info for some of the shops in the area. I've also used Nashville Motorcycle Repair, which services a lot of scooters as well as motorcycles. I've had mixed messages from the Honda dealership in Cool Springs because they've never heard of Genuine.
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

Thanks, Honda wouldn't deal with it because it is an "off brand'. Checked out the Scoot Nashville site and discovered JP and Dimelo Motor Works. I called him, he said he rides a Buddy, and there were several positive comments about him so that's where we'll be going.
MB #2349