Looking to Purchase '09 Stella 2T

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Willie B

Looking to Purchase '09 Stella 2T

Post by Willie B »

I'm looking to purchase a nicely kitted '09 Stella 2T with 300 miles on the odo. The bike is very nicely kitted with Bitubos, racks, bars and every sort of bling imaginable. I see these bikes are prone to crank bearing failures, but it looks as if this is with certain bikes produced during the '09 manufacturing run. Curious if there's a serial # break one should look for? I'm also looking to install a pipe, larger carb and air filter for better performance and wondering which pipe and carb yield the best results and if anyone knows what the approximate pilot and main jetting solution for the best package? I am also looking to convert the bike to a premix configuration as I don't see venturing too far from home base as I have various other bikes to do this. I do plan to run the balls off this, but not too far from home. Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanx :D
Willie B

Post by Willie B »

I realize I'm new here but seeing I've had 12 gawk at my post with no replies?
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

I realize I'm new here but seeing I've had 12 gawk at my post with no replies?
Can't speak for anyone else, but please accept my regrets for not meeting your requirements faster.

Can't advise which exhaust-carb-filter mods you would want to do ..... but would suggest that you don't do any until 1) after you first install either a CHT or EGT meter and then benchmark you temps at several diverse road conditions with different sustained speed/throttle positions so you can re-jet to replicate them after your mods and 2) you are confident you know what you are doing - especially with the jets other than the main.

Many CHTs and EGTs are out there, 1 is this;

http://www.trailtech.net/

TTO Temp Meter - Silver - 14mm Spark Plug Sensor $39.95
Temp. sensor extension lead (24 inch long) $5.95

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Willie B wrote:I realize I'm new here but seeing I've had 12 gawk at my post with no replies?

Better off waiting for a good response than for one that sucks and sends you in the wrong direction...we can do that...but it would probably piss you off.

Since you want an answer on how to power up in 4 hours here you go....drop the motor, pull the top end and replace with a Glickspeed ported Malosi 166. Replace the bearings with high grade from Mercato and throw in a worb5 cut crank. Make sure you swap out the clutch to something that will not asplode.

Run a HRS modified 24/24 vortex carb and a custom expansion exhaust.

Since the oil injector actually works very well for modified motors I agree you should disable it.

Good advice on CHT and EGT but you can still blow your shit up.

Let us know how it works out K?

There you go...now cough up about $2k and get to work.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

8% upgear, don't forget that.
If you have the cabbage laying around the Sip case would be a good platform to start with.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Stitch wrote:8% upgear, don't forget that.
If you have the cabbage laying around the Sip case would be a good platform to start with.
Oh Dude...now that's just crazy talk! :mrgreen:
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

If he's gonna run it much over 80 for extended periods of time it wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe I'm overestimating "ride the balls off". I always leave the house "gonna go for a nice mellow ride" and end up with the speedo past where the numbers go.
Willie B

Post by Willie B »

I do plan to run the piss out of it. I wasn't aware that these were capable of running 80+mph? I've ridden this one, and it seems a bit anemic, especially when shifting from one gear to the next or when negotiating a grade. It doesn't seem as if it's jetted properly and is a bit restricted as well. I'm not looking to sink the national debt into this, I already have a 300gts and a highly modified SR. The SR runs incredible when the conditions are perfect, but it's a bit temperamental. I'm not wanting something else to wrench on all the time. I would prefer to get this derestricted and jetted properly. I assume these will run in the mid 60s when running properly?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Willie B wrote: I would prefer to get this derestricted and jetted properly. I assume these will run in the mid 60s when running properly?
If it is a stock motor it is not restricted...it's a stock Stella. I would say assuming that it will run in mid 60's is assuming a lot. It can be done...but not with just a pipe and jets. You can run the balls off a Stella...actually you can loose your nuts pretty quickly
www.teamscootertrash.com

Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Ehhhhh. Mid fifties stock. Mid sixties if you wanna take a chance of leaving a 50yard skid mark. They weren't originally designed for American highway use.
That being said, they are a blast on the back roads.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Stitch wrote:Ehhhhh. Mid fifties stock. Mid sixties if you wanna take a chance of leaving a 50yard skid mark. They weren't originally designed for American highway use.
That being said, they are a blast on the back roads.
Yup.. soft seizing on the highway is no fun.. ive done it once and watch my friend on his 09 stella do it too. His had a 226 hotwing and jetted. ...wow scary
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

Ehhhhh. Mid fifties stock. Mid sixties if you wanna take a chance of leaving a 50yard skid mark. They weren't originally designed for American highway use.
Yeah, I think I've got more years than most on this forum, & I've become more wary as I get older. All I've done on my '09 is install a better breathing original 80's-type Vespa filter & exhaust (& re-jetted both the SI-pilot & Main). Made a very serious difference in how it pulls up hills.

When I hit 55 it's willing to do more, but I'll usually back it off to between 50 & 55. But I can ride like that sustained and never have the CHT over 305 - 310 max regardless of the outside air temp or humidity.
Willie B

Post by Willie B »

I've decided to build a Rally 200 big displacement, long stroke motor for the Stella. Anyone been down this road?
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Willie B wrote:I've decided to build a Rally 200 big displacement, long stroke motor for the Stella. Anyone been down this road?
For that question you may get better info from the Modern Vespa forum or Stellaspeed (goes to performance scooter central)
Lots of modification info.

Rob
pattio

Post by pattio »

Willie B wrote:I've decided to build a Rally 200 big displacement, long stroke motor for the Stella. Anyone been down this road?
Yes, I've been running a Rally200 motor with a long-stroke crank in my Stella for years. My Polini/Vortex build didn't last long (see '60 foot skid mark' above) but my current build with Pinasco, stock 24/24 and P200 muffler has held up for a few years. I have little else to offer, I'm done blowing up motors just to see who can gradually edge ahead of whom seconds before blowing up.... Build, rebuild, and have fun.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Oh I didn't soft seize. Snarfed the crank. Got it rebuilt the way it shoulda been built to begin with. It'll happily cruise 60mph till it runs out of gas, or run the speedo needle down where they didn't bother to put any more numbers. Not too shabby for a 250lb rider (I am hell on tires though).
tomjasz

Willie B

Post by tomjasz »

Did he do?

Well Willie? I'm wondering what came of your adventure. Guess, since this board is so Slooooow responding, :wink: I'll go looking for another thread you may have followed up with.

Good info, Maybe this Stella thing isn't a bad idea after all.

Thanks posters!
Willie B

Post by Willie B »

Sorry for the delay. I purchased a new left over '09 Black Stella, a Rally 200 motor, a Polini 221 kit, stroker crank, new clutch, Vespatronic ignition, Dellorto VHST 28mm carb, Malossi RS24s, FA Italia rims, Michelin S1s, an older Taffspeed pipe and am waiting for Al Harpham to finish my engine build so I can get this thing put back together. After I get everything completed, I'm willing to post photos and a complete list of modifications and impressions if anyone has an interest? Anyone in need of stock Stella items including a complete engine send me a PM.