Intro and Question re: Buddy 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dasein

Intro and Question re: Buddy 125

Post by dasein »

Wow! This forum is amazing.

I have spent several days combing the different threads and learned a lot as a potential scooter owner.

In fact, through this forum, I have set aside my longtime dream of owning a Vespa (for now) and am thinking very seriously about buying a Buddy. Also, through reading the threads by dedicated 50 cc'ers and the 125 (and up) crowd, I think I moved my sights from the 50 to the 125. But I haven't finally decided yet.

We are a one car family (and sometimes my wife let's me drive it!). I walk and bike commute most places, but a scooter would be a nice (and fun) supplement to the routine.

At the risk of someone here beating me to the punch (please don't!), I was wondering if ya'll would be willing to comment on this scoot:

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/4150800817.html

To my untrained eye, it seems like a great scooter (well, in the ad at least) with a great price tag attached.

Also, any advice regarding what to look for when I check her out would be fabulous--I have read a few threads on this, but if you would like to pitch some things here that would be great.

As I have looked at the market in the area (Western PA/Northeast OH) on craigslist, the price seems fair, but I am wondering if others think so.

Thanks in advance,
D.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hi there! Welcome to the forum!

Price-wise, not a bad deal! 3,900 miles in 5 years means the scooter may have spent some time sitting around, not being ridden. That's actually wise for it than having a moderate number of miles from occasional riding.

So you should ask if it's been stored or unridden for some time. You should also ask what maintenance has been done. It should have had two engine oil changes by now and it will be due for a more thorough service soon so you should factor that into buying. You'd probably want to do that for any used scooter.

It should start easily using the electric start. This will show the battery and electrics are okay. Make sure all the lights are functioning.

Once started, it should idle without stalling. If it's cold, it may need a little warm up. It should idle a little fast and loud for a minute or so, then slow down. The rear tire may spin a bit as it idles — this is normal with an automatic transmission scooter.

Check the tires for tread and any abnormalities such as cupping (like large blisters on the tires) and uneven wear.

If you can't test ride it, then I'd ask if you could watch the seller ride it up and down the street a few times. It should accelerate smoothly and not sound choppy and also should not stall.

If it has stalling issues they can be something minor such as old/stale gas. But it could be something a little more serious such as clogs in the carburetor from sitting too long. Or even more serious, a bad stator. Fortunately, these things aren't that expensive or difficult to fix, but as you really can't tell without having someone look at it, they should definitely raise red flags and cause concern.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

check over the usual stuff like tires, brake pads, check for leaks on the ground, look for signs of abuse or misuse. if all is ok offer $1400 if you want the scooter. looks a bit worse for wear but it is 5 years old. on second thought i would meet half way at $1350 imo. and it could be what they are figuring as a "fair' offer that could be considered, too. although just my hunch, of coarse. it is a good offer, though. and not a low ball one

the alarm? not a selling point imo and while i don't know much about 'em would uninstall that thing just to prevent it from screwing up and leaving you stranded one day or causing any electrical gremlins down the road
Riding is riding
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Fair price for a low mileage 08 but I would be trying to score it for $1,500. (Hey....that price worked for me yesterday!)

Remember...cash talks...flash the cash....15 Bens can help someone make up their mind quickly,

Good advice above. Check the tires for any wear and rot, that is really the only concern i would have with the age. Also I would toss the helmet and buy new. Keep us updated and let us know!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
dasein

Post by dasein »

Thanks. This is a great start.

It is about an hour and a half away so it will take a trip out to see it.

Now I am wondering if you guys would share your views on buying new verses old. How much is it worth to pay more for a new scoot for dealer/manufacturer support, etc.

I'll keep you all posted.
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

When I got my Buddy back in September, I had the choice between a used Buddy 50 (lovingly dubbed Frankenbuddy by the shop I work at - it's a Lemonhead with the outer plastics of a forest green 170i) that only had maybe 900 miles on it and a brand spankin' new 2014 Buddy in seafoam green. (The scooter hadn't even arrived at the shop yet, but the owner let me have first dibs on it if I wanted it!) While the Frankenbuddy was cheaper, by a lot, I felt a little more comfortable (personally) with having the 2-year warranty and roadside assistance and all that. Plus, I didn't want to have any surprises with something going wrong that would have been a warranty repair on a new scooter, but wouldn't be covered since I'd bought it second-hand. Plus, even though I'm one of four people in town with a seafoam Buddy, I love the color. :D

So, long story short, I went with new, and haven't really been disappointed. Granted, I've barely put 500 miles on my scoot so far, but I haven't had any problems yet!
skipper20

Re: Intro and Question re: Buddy 125

Post by skipper20 »

dasein wrote:Wow! This forum is amazing.

I have spent several days combing the different threads and learned a lot as a potential scooter owner.

In fact, through this forum, I have set aside my longtime dream of owning a Vespa (for now) and am thinking very seriously about buying a Buddy. Also, through reading the threads by dedicated 50 cc'ers and the 125 (and up) crowd, I think I moved my sights from the 50 to the 125. But I haven't finally decided yet.

We are a one car family (and sometimes my wife let's me drive it!). I walk and bike commute most places, but a scooter would be a nice (and fun) supplement to the routine.

At the risk of someone here beating me to the punch (please don't!), I was wondering if ya'll would be willing to comment on this scoot:

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/4150800817.html

To my untrained eye, it seems like a great scooter (well, in the ad at least) with a great price tag attached.

Also, any advice regarding what to look for when I check her out would be fabulous--I have read a few threads on this, but if you would like to pitch some things here that would be great.

As I have looked at the market in the area (Western PA/Northeast OH) on craigslist, the price seems fair, but I am wondering if others think so.

Thanks in advance,
D.
Going with a 125 as a first scooter is a good choice as I've always felt that it's much easier and more cost effective to start large and grow into it than starting small (50cc) and then trying to make it bigger as your confidence and skills grow. The only other thing that I could add to the comments already made is that the seller's claim of 65 mph is a bit optimistic. Expect more like 60 tops and a comfortable 50-55 mph cruising speed. Definitely not an Interstate Highway bike but for just about any other roads, 2 lane or 4, you'll be grinning ear-to-ear. Have fun but ride safe.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
'08 250ie Sport City
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

dasein wrote:Thanks. This is a great start.

It is about an hour and a half away so it will take a trip out to see it.

Now I am wondering if you guys would share your views on buying new verses old. How much is it worth to pay more for a new scoot for dealer/manufacturer support, etc.

I'll keep you all posted.
i think it all depends on the rider, price paid, and what you expect for what you paid. for instance with a reliable make like a used Buddy with lower miles you can expect to ride and ride without repair. but even if it does need something you won't reach the price of new. and while chances are you won't need anything with 3900 miles on the scooter you're still closer to needing preventive maintenance then if you bought new. but again chances are you'll be good to go for up to 10,000 miles without needing so much as a spark plug. just change the oils and filters and brake pads and tires when needed. check the valves, maybe. all DIY easy 'cept for the tires. and that too if you have the equipment

with a good deal on a used you can count on pretty good resale, too. pay $1500 or so and get $900 or so in a couple years for it if you want. pretty cheap entry into the world of riding

new on the other hand is nice because Genuine takes care of customers pretty well and the entire scooter is covered but for wear items. ride and ride and ride a nice new scooter and keep it nice as long as you want.

as someone with a bit of experience with scooters now i would not hesitate to buy lower mileage used over new. but thats because after owning a couple of reliable makes for a few years i know what scooters are, how they work, and what to expect to fix and pay to fix, and when. but again, new is nice like a new car. and when i was a new owner i appreciated the peace of mind of a warranty although never needing a repair

it really is a toss up imo. personally i like the idea of cheaper, used scooter for anybody getting into riding. but however you go just get your very best deal as resale can be decent and as said, cheap to buy, cheap to ride, resell later for decent price. win / win :)
Riding is riding
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

JHScoot wrote: when i was a new owner i appreciated the peace of mind of a warranty although never needing a repair
This was exactly our experience with the Genuine 2 year warranty on our Buddy. Some piece of mind with the warranty, but we actually never used it for anything, so practically speaking.......
Now, 6 years later on our 125, still never done anything to it but routine maintenance. It just keeps running along. I would not hesitate to buy a used one as long as I knew it had been serviced when due and not abused.
dasein

Post by dasein »

Thanks everybody.

The seller sent me some picture from some road rash from it "falling over". It looked like it had been dropped at speed due to a lot of slide marks on more than one panel.

But...

I ended up buying a cheap old metropolitan last night. I paid just over $600 for a garage kept metropolitan in sweet condition. It is 2002, but lower mileage.

I have read a lot here and other places that I may be disappointed with the Met. But I expect to see how I like riding, if a 50 cc (even one less powerful than the buddy) will meet me needs, etc.

Love it or hate it I might flip it in the late spring and start looking for something else.

Again, thanks a lot.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Hey, no shame in the met. They are stone reliable, just not very powerful. Every once in a while I see one that cheap in decent condition and go "maybe....."

And you certainly can't go wrong. If you ride it for a few months and sell it in warmer times, I'm sure you at least won't lose on it. Just be wary that it's often harder to score a good used deal once it warms up since they sell better. Then again, sometimes you can get one that wasn't winterized and the seller doesn't feel like getting a service or replacing a battery.
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

dasein wrote:Thanks everybody.

The seller sent me some picture from some road rash from it "falling over". It looked like it had been dropped at speed due to a lot of slide marks on more than one panel.

But...

I ended up buying a cheap old metropolitan last night. I paid just over $600 for a garage kept metropolitan in sweet condition. It is 2002, but lower mileage.

I have read a lot here and other places that I may be disappointed with the Met. But I expect to see how I like riding, if a 50 cc (even one less powerful than the buddy) will meet me needs, etc.

Love it or hate it I might flip it in the late spring and start looking for something else.

Again, thanks a lot.
The Metropolitan is a good starter scooter - I actually had a Metro for my first scooter, had it for just shy of two years before I traded it in for my Buddy. While it won't be the fastest scooter on the planet, they're pretty good little scoots! (And $600 for a Metro isn't bad at all!) Enjoy it! :D
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

i'm late to the party, but i would just caution when buying used that you make sure the vin #'s on the scoot and the registration match. and always, no registration in hand, no cash. either wait for them to get the actual paperwork or go elsewhere.

congrats on the met!
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
dasein

Post by dasein »

Thanks all. And I will definitely stick around reading the forum here as there is a lot of general scooter knowledge here.

Yeah, it has been pretty clear from even Met fans that there power leaves something to be desired. I am just looking for something to zip around town and for my mini-commute.

Thanks again.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

craftynerd wrote: While it won't be the fastest scooter on the planet, they're pretty good little scoots!
To be a bit less kind, the Met is in contention for the slowest scooter on the planet. Having said that, it is quite reliable and many people have learned to ride on one. enjoy.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

dasein wrote:Thanks everybody.

But...

Again, thanks a lot.
I think you will enjoy that Met! I also think that getting the hang of it on a 49cc first is the way to go!

I loved (and already miss) my Met!
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
dasein

Post by dasein »

Dooglas wrote:
craftynerd wrote: While it won't be the fastest scooter on the planet, they're pretty good little scoots!
To be a bit less kind, the Met is in contention for the slowest scooter on the planet. Having said that, it is quite reliable and many people have learned to ride on one. enjoy.
Dooglas, thanks for the honesty! I have read many people say that, so at least I am going into it with eyes wide open. In fact, I have read that enough that I might have low enough expectations to be pleasantly surprised. We will see.

In the end I'm not to concerned. I expect to have a good time scooting around.

Thanks for the response.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Take the MSF if you haven't. You'll learn a lot about riding....
TVB

Post by TVB »

Dooglas wrote:To be a bit less kind, the Met is in contention for the slowest scooter on the planet.
Putting it a different context, for someone who has never owned a motorcycle of some kind, it will be the fastest bike they've ever ridden. That's what I was looking for when I bought a scooter (and why the Buddy 50 more-than-met my expectations).
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

You can look at it this way...scooters aren't for everyone. You will be finding out if it is something you enjoy at a pretty low price point.

If the Met meets your needs and wants...great! If scootering is not for you then you can sell and not take much of a hit. If you like riding and the Met is not enough...time to trade up!

Don't forget to add it to the Spend-a-thon!
topic26352.html
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

just a few things about 'not ridden much or being stored'...

1) gasoline...find out if the fuel system was drained/run dry or if the fuel was properly stabilized with a product that stabilizes the gasoline AND ethanol in the fuel; if the person used gasoline without ethanol it still needs to be stabilized since it is sitting for several months

2) battery maintenance...find out if the battery has been maintained on a tender and/or removed from the scooter during colder months when it wasn't ridden; IMHO...a bettery should be tendered every 3 to 7 days during colder temps (if the tender isn't left on all the time) and at least biweekly during warmer temps if the scooter isn't being ridden

3) tires...pressures checked & adjusted at least monthly; I slightly overinflate them and that helps with fluctuations in temperatures; I'm gonna check my tires this weekend on both the scoot and motorcycle

4) oil...it is nice to have fresh oil (or an autumn oil change with less than 500 miles on it...IMHO) prior to storage; some folks will intermittently start and idle the engine to distribute oil and recoat the surfaces inside the engine (and transmission in a motorcycle) & 'fresher' oil has higher amounts of additives that prevent wear during cold starts and fight corrosion from moisture/condensation inside the engine/transmission

5) covered...a 'dust cover' if stored inside a garage or shed or a 'weather resistent' cover if stored outdoors; mine are stored outdoors and I have good covers on them

6) 'fogging the engine'...some people will do this for storage of more than 3 months, but many find it not necessary if the scoot/motorcycle is ran or ridden intermittently during storage; I'm going to start & idle both my scoot and motorcycle for @ 10 minutes each when I check tire pressures this weekend; I tried 'fogging' last winter and it caused fouled plugs since I used too much, especially in the Stella 2T I used to have
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

The "slowest scooter" is parked over there!

:lol:
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

I've ridden Mets a few times before I got the Roughhouse. Maybe the Met is not that fast, but hey, it is fun, reliable, and efficient. And $600 is a great price if it works okay. Sounds like a good choice.

And, the Met should be easy to re-sell when you move up to a Buddy 125...
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Whimscootie wrote:
I think you will enjoy that Met! I also think that getting the hang of it on a 49cc first is the way to go!

I loved (and already miss) my Met!
I loved and miss my Met too. I still think the Met is one of the best looking scooters out there. Unfortunately they're very easy to quickly outgrow.
Attachments
IMG_0757_2009_Honda_Metropolitan_small.jpg
IMG_0757_2009_Honda_Metropolitan_small.jpg (111.47 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

I definitely know that feeling. My first time on a Buddy had me thinking "oh my god, this scooter is PERFECT, why didn't I buy this before?"

(And then I remembered that there wasn't a Genuine dealer in town when I got my Metro, and that I probably would have been scared to death of a 2-stroke - I couldn't even summon the courage to ride the Metro home!)

Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

craftynerd wrote:I definitely know that feeling. My first time on a Buddy had me thinking "oh my god, this scooter is PERFECT, why didn't I buy this before?"

(And then I remembered that there wasn't a Genuine dealer in town when I got my Metro, and that I probably would have been scared to death of a 2-stroke - I couldn't even summon the courage to ride the Metro home!)

Your Met looked just like mine: Monza Red. Sniff, sniff...

Curious as to why you still went with a 50cc rather than a 125 when you got your Buddy?

Do you find it much faster than the Met or other advantages?
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

Whimscootie wrote:
Your Met looked just like mine: Monza Red. Sniff, sniff...

Curious as to why you still went with a 50cc rather than a 125 when you got your Buddy?

Well, for starters, the main reason I went with a 50 is that I don't have a motorcycle endorsement - in Indiana, you don't need a driver's license or motorcycle endorsement to ride a scooter under 50cc, and until recently I've been too chicken to learn how to drive. (And I won't lie - my main motivation in learning to drive is so I can get a motorcycle endorsement, as Indiana is stupid in the fact that you can't just get a motorcycle license)

And I will say, the Buddy 50 has a lot more zip than the Metro! My Buddy can hit 47 mph (52ish indicated), while the Metro struggled to reach 42 and chugged up hills so slowly that it aggravated drivers behind me, heh.

I miss my Metro too - I tried and tried to convince my hubby to let me keep her and let me get the Buddy as well, but he said I'm only allowed one scooter until we move someplace with a garage. :/
TVB

Post by TVB »

Whimscootie wrote:Curious as to why you still went with a 50cc rather than a 125 when you got your Buddy?
The 2-stroke engine on a Buddy is quite a bit peppier than the 4-stroke on a Met.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

Whimscootie wrote:

The 2-stroke engine on a Buddy is quite a bit peppier than the 4-stroke on a Met.
especially if your dealer de-restricts the scooter prior to delivery... :twisted:
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

So, dasein....are you going to share a picture of your new scooter with us? :)

Welcome, by the way!
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's