maintenance interval

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

vitaminC

maintenance interval

Post by vitaminC »

According to the owners manual, the oil needs to be changed every 1500 miles (or is it 600??). That seems awfully frequent to me, is this normal for scooters?

Looks like the Bajaj can go 3k miles...

What about the others- Kymco, Honda, etc?

My last bike needed an oil change every 3k miles, and I'd hate to need to do it more frequently than that, even if it is easy.
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

The dealer did our first oil change at 500 miles and has recommended 1500 miles after that. We bought the oil, filters and gear oil from him so we can do it ourselves from here on out (cost about $60.00 for 2 Buddies as opposed to $60/each when serviced by the dealer).
Last edited by BoneGirl on Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

I received the following reply from Brett at Genuine Scooters on 8/28/06
Sarah:

Thank you for the email.

In the next go around with the manuals, the maint sched will be in miles and will read more clearly.

The odometer is in miles, and I would bring it in for the first service between 300-500 miles.

I am presently talking to the engineers to determine a reasonable maintenance schedule after the 500 mile first service.If you could, please respond in a week or so and I will provide that to you.

Thank you!

Brett Ratner
Genuine Scooters Dealer Development
877.MY.STELLA
I will post again when i hear more.
pesqueeb

Post by pesqueeb »

I know most Motorcycles have shorter Maintenance intervals due to the higher RPM/heat/compression ratio etc. I Don't really know if thats true for the Buddy, without a tach its hard to tell what the engines spinning, but I doubt its in the same range as your typical crotch rocket. I figure since its only one cylinder, your better of shortening your intervals just to avoid problems. Oil and spark plugs will always be cheaper than a new Scooter.

BTW, has anyone been able to get a service manual for there Buddy yet? My dealer said at least a week befor they get any. I've read there seems to be some discreapancy between what the owners manual says about the amount of gear box oil and whats actually coming out.
Take off the tin foil hat and let the voices drive for a minute. It'll be fine.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

pesqueeb wrote: BTW, has anyone been able to get a service manual for there Buddy yet?
This link was posted earlier: http://www.genuinescooters.com/ftp/budd ... manual.pdf

There is definitely some confusion and discrepencies regarding the mileage intervals depending on which manual (or which page) you read. Hopefully it will get sorted out soon.

I agree, the service on this should be pretty easy, so doing regular oil changes shouldn't be a big deal. Just curious what the "correct" intervals are.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Blackeyes24 wrote:I received the following reply from Brett at Genuine Scooters on 8/28/06
[SNIP]
Excellent! Thanks. My manual actually has most distances in miles, but it's like they just replaced "KM" with "MILES", so it's still not too convincing...
aboyandhisrobot

Post by aboyandhisrobot »

yeah there is some good engrish in that manual
pesqueeb

Post by pesqueeb »

Oy, anyone got a coversion table for kg/m to inch pounds? Thanks for the link VitaminC. I notice the service manual says 110 cc in the gear box, where as the owners manual says 90 cc. I know theres another thread here somewhere about how much oil is supposed to be in the gear box. I'd go with the service manual if you have a question.
Take off the tin foil hat and let the voices drive for a minute. It'll be fine.