New Genuines and changes for 2014/ 2015

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

That red is nice! I think these auto Stellas will do well.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

Dooglas wrote:
SockyTX wrote:Stella Auto for the wifey
If I ever referred to my riding partner as "the wifey", I suspect I would come home the next day and find out that my scooters had just been donated to the Salvation Army. Because I'm a prudent person, I don't plan to chance it. Maybe things are different in Texas. :wink:
I live in Texas and it depends upon the type of "wifey" you have. If you bought your wifey a scooter of her own she'd probably be more tolerant. :lol:
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

ravenlore wrote:
BeefSupreme wrote:
stASH wrote:I don't think that is necessarily true. The engine in the Auto Stella is a much more modern design and I wouldn't be surprised if it performs better than the old manual 150cc powerplant.Putting an automatic powertrain in the Stella is one of the most significant updates to that scooter design in decades (if you consider the Vespa PX as the same/similar scooter). It's hard to imagine how people wouldn't like a tried and true classic design with a modern powertrain, which I imagine is what Genuine is betting on with adding it to their lineup.

I'm definitely not understanding your logic here.
All reports on the 125 LML Star Automatica's say they're FASTER than the shifty 150's, from a dead stop and they can run 60mph all day... so yeah, not sure what the problem is here. I'm nothing but stoked about an auto stella.
i really hope that's the case. IF that's true, then it would be worth the cost and hassle to get a red scoot and i want it painted black.

Ravenlore - I was in the shop when my dealer changed my order on the phone with Genuine from red to black on my 125 auto.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I love the new Stella and I think it is great for getting new people into scooters. I like that you don't have to be bothered by clutch cables if it happens to break. What I don't like is the fake spare tire as it reminds me of a cool jacket or pants that has fake pockets. But it wouldn't be a deal breaker If I was going for a new scoot....
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

There's no spare? Why ever not?
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Southerner wrote:There's no spare? Why ever not?
Not enough room I guess. It has the spare tire cover that makes it look like there is a spare there but there isn't. The battery is stuck up there and I assume that the plastic spare cover is to protect the battery from road debris/water.....
TVB

Post by TVB »

Drum Pro wrote:It has the spare tire cover that makes it look like there is a spare there but there isn't. The battery is stuck up there and I assume that the plastic spare cover is to protect the battery from road debris/water.....
Or to look "classicky". Shaping the body work to resemble scooters that kept a spare underneath is one thing, but the pretend-spare steps over the line into fakery. I'd remove it.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

But that leaves the issue of protecting the battery. Are the front and rear wheels still the same? If so, there are still several options for externally carrying a spare.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I hope the Army matte green will be the "end" of my "scooter lust"!

Such a painful way to live... :lol:

I want one!

:D
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

RoadRambler wrote:You're a smart man, Dooglas. :clap:

Agreed. Thirty years ago, I was in a sandwich shop very near where I live picking up some subs for lunch when the girl behind the counter asked me, "Where's the little wifey?" I made the idiotic error of repeating that to my wife when I got home and we never ate there again. That sandwich shop has long since moved to another location and the girl who made that remark is probably a grandmother by now, but if I mention going to that shop, all is hear is an indignant, "the little wifey, huh?" Don't let that be you. :wink:
TVB

Post by TVB »

Southerner wrote:But that leaves the issue of protecting the battery.
Protect it from what? Why does it need more protection than the battery that hangs below the underside of my Buddy? :)
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

It does? Open to spray and grit from the road?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Southerner wrote:But that leaves the issue of protecting the battery. Are the front and rear wheels still the same? If so, there are still several options for externally carrying a spare.
I'm going to go out on a limb and posit that the rims and tire are the same. The hub/drum will be different on the rear than a manual bike. The only reservation I have would be the offset of the rim. Since the wheel is mounted from the opposite side, it could have a different offset. Still, I think that it would make sense to use the same offset on the rim and cast the rear drum accordingly. One less part to make tools for and rims are already available.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
TVB

Post by TVB »

Southerner wrote:It does? Open to spray and grit from the road?
Of course not: there's a plain layer of plastic surrounding it. Demonstrating that you don't need a silly-looking fake spare tire to "protect the battery"; you can do it with just practical, efficient industrial design (like was used in the old Vespas that this is paying homage to).

I'm sorry, but to me, including a fake spare tire (in the design of any vehicle) looks like someone trying just a bit too hard to make something look like something it isn't, placing pretension ahead of practicality. If that's what you're into, fine, but saying that it's needed to protect the battery or some other unconvincing "practical" argument is trying even harder.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I know nothing about the internals of either the manual or the automatic. On most bikes I've seen, the battery is simply suspended up in the frame but is usually high enough off the ground to prevent most ground grunge from reaching there. IIRC, on the manual Stella, it sits in the middle of the the spare wheel. I suppose a simple plastic box would be sufficient, as well as helping to contain battery leaks.

Of course, it might provide some useful space to stash stuff like spare plugs, etc.

Plus I suspect it can simply be taken off and discarded .

Since I've got a MC with a flat right now, the inclusion of a spare in some form of carry seems pretty practical.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Southerner wrote: Since I've got a MC with a flat right now, the inclusion of a spare in some form of carry seems pretty practical.
If you're running tube-type tires, having a spare is a great thing to have. I haven't needed the one on a Vespa or Stella yet, but it is nice to know I have it when I go out on multi-day excursions. I've had a tube-tire flat on a bike with a fixed brake drum/rim and neither a spare or tire tubes. Waiting for a lift while out in the dark of the desert on a winter evening isn't exactly fun.

It's also handy for doing three-tire rotations and getting the most miles out of those little tires.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

The fake tire cover is hiding a large section of fuel tank as well......it is not under the seat on the 125a.......engine is mounted very high.

Rob
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Ok. Won't be moving that.