what scooter do you love?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ggs34

what scooter do you love?

Post by ggs34 »

i have had many scooter in my life some good and some great so my questions to you it what scooter do you like and why
what would you say i just love this scooter?and tell us why
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I have really fond memories of my Honda 50. I was young and it was my first scooter/motorcycle - so what's not to like :wink: . But I have to say, that bike did everything I asked of it - and I asked quite a bit.
Attachments
Honda 50.jpg
Honda 50.jpg (117.84 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
ggs34

my scooter

Post by ggs34 »

the first scooter and the one i love is my derbi gp1 with lots of fsat parts man could see fly (for a 70cc 2stroke) i whish we could still buy derbi here
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

My 2004 Vespa GT200L was, by far and away, my fave. 2004 was the first year for the GT in the USA and mine came from the first batch that came in 'cuz I took a huge leap of faith and preordered sight unseen. That scooter rocked. It carried me across the USA on the first Cannonball without a complaint, even after I threw it down the road. It was the closest thing ever to a perfect, flawless scooter. Why? The list of things I loved about that scooter goes on and on. I loved the seat, the flyscreen, the topcase, the instrument, the ride, the motor, the paint, the troublefree motor and transmission. There just wasn't anything I didn't love about that scooter. It was like my two-wheeled soul mate.

The 2005 GT200Ls sometimes had a weird problem with the clutch bell ringing and from 2006 on GT200Ls had the different shaped seat and the fold-up rear racks that made no sense to me. I still rue the day I stupidly traded my 2004 GT200L on a 2006 GTS250ie. Sigh...

Here's a pic of the scooter with the famous, gone-but-not-forgotten, Janice Ashrat in the background.

Rob

Post by Rob »

It wasn't really a scooter, but more of a mini bike. Although, as I mentioned in another thread, my first motorycycle (Kawasaki S3 Mach2) was my true first love, I'll always have a special place in my heart for my first ride. My dad bought me a CT70 when I was 13 or so. Two of my buddies had the same little bike. Wasn't supposed to ride it on the street, but of course we did.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

I had a 2009 Sportcity 125 that I loved. I've owned 11 scooters: Roughhouse 50, Sportcity 50, Sportcity 250, 2 Sportcity 125s, Vino 125, Metropolitan, 2 Vespa 300s, Vespa 150, Scarabeo 100. I like the 125 Sportcity cause it was cheap ($2100 OTD as I recall) and ran well with good acceleration and top speed and was just the right size for my needs. It also had the best under-seat storage and a flat platform which I prefer for hauling a case of water or dog food, etc. which I can just put down and rest my feet on top. I do not like scooters with humps and scooters with big humps you have to swing your leg over are my least favorite. I am also not a fan of the new 926 Vespa with NO under seat storage. Motorcycles are harder to pick a favorite for me cause I like almost all of them, even if it is for different reasons. Still, if I could only have 1 scooter, it wouldn't be the Sportcity 125. It would be the Vespa 300 which I own because it performs well in town and does well on the highway too. It has also been very dependable.
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

Steven Wright said, "You know that feeling you get when you lean too far back in a chair and it starts to fall backward?" "That's how I feel all the time."
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Honda Helix. Always keep a eye out for a used one. And a Helix happens to fit in the back of my all time favorite car-or minivan. Toyota Vanwagon 87-89.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Tough one.

If I had to pick one, it would be the Honda Elite 80. My only stipulation would be post '85, pre '05. That spread doesn't include the "no-oil-drain-plug-and-needs-special funnel-that-looks-suspiciously-like-a-hearing-horn" weirdness of year one and avoids the "inexplicably re-sized front brake" of the final runs. Ideally, I'd go for an '87-'88 model, while they were still "Made in Japan".

While the engine size is decidedly diminutive, there are a lot of good attributes to offset it. I propose that it has the comfiest factory saddle ever fitted to a non-maxi scooter. The flat floors hold tons of stuff and the rear rack will carry far more than it's rated for. The fold-down buddy pegs are useful to either the driver or passenger and have plenty of purchase for your preferred riding kicks. Handling is light and responsive and low-speed maneuvering is a breeze; this bike is slow-drag material!

The top speed of a stock and healthy, well-tuned Elite 80 is in the neighborhood of 45, but they can touch 50 with little modification. While the low top speed may be a bit of a turn off for distance riders, the engine will run all day long at WOT with no ill effects and a tank of fuel will take you 100 miles between stops (105, if you push your luck). Add a tour tank and go ride a Cannonball; it'll take it.

It would be hard to cut back to one scooter; I like all of my scoots for different reasons. However, if push came to shove. It would be a hard decision between my '12 Yager and my '87 Elite 80.
Last edited by az_slynch on Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
easy

Post by easy »

My Kymco gti300 just as easy as my Blackjack in town and safely able to do long stretches on the interstate. I think my trip to D.C. was 1600 or 1800 miles for abt $100 in gas, what's not to love abt that. It's not been bad on rear tire wear 5,000 miles and still looks good.
what did you trade the day for?
Syd

Post by Syd »

My '06 SYM HD200. Sometimes I wish I didn't feel like I had to get a different scoot after the SYM got totaled. It was quick, it handled like a scoot with small wheels, got great gas mileage and it was comfy.

Then I twist the throttle on the BV350 and it doesn't worry me so much. :D
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

My first Ruckus, an 06 Camo. Shown on my blog listed below.

I learned to ride on that scoot and rode it out into the countryside just about anywhere I wanted to go.

I sold it for then financial reasons and cried as the 2 guys drove off with it.

Never had so much fun on a scoot, more because it was my "first" I guess.

If I could have only one final scooter it would be a Ruckus. Just that one.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I'm not 100% sure. My Buddy has been my favorite so far. It can go anyplace I need it to, sometimes just a little slowly. Buuuut...I haven't tried a lot of the 'classic' scoots, and the short time friend have lent me their bv350's...well those are pretty cool too.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

My Buddy 170i would be my first choice. Then my TGB 150 Delivery. Actually
I have enjoyed every scooter that I have owned from my first Tank on down the line. I would also have to add in my Tomos Revival 50cc. Sold it but on reflection it might rank # 2 in the list. :clap: :clap:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

If you'd asked me this six months ago, I would have said "Oh god, I absolutely LOVE my Honda Metropolitan and I will NEVER EVER sell it."

And then I rode a Buddy.

And then I bought my Buddy.

And I freakin' LOVE my Buddy, Miss Mia Scooterpants. (Don't ask. I don't know. XD) Although I won't lie - I did really love my Metro. When I made the decision to buy a Buddy, I broke down and cried for an hour. Scooterlou was my first scoot, and I thought I'd never get rid of her - but the Buddy just goes so much faster, and is so much fun to ride... At least I got to visit Scooterlou a few times in the shop before she was eventually sold to a nice older gentleman (from what the shop owner told me).

Anyway, here's Mia!

TVB

Post by TVB »

I've only owned one scooter, so it's not much of a contest, but I do really love my Buddy 50.

It's "just enough" scooter to do what I want it to do, and since I don't care for the "overkill" approach, that's important to me. I love that I rarely have to watch the speedometer. I love that it came in the right color for me to give it the ironic name "Flash". I love that it requires so little maintenance, and that it's pretty cheap when I have it done. I love that it went over 22K miles without needing anything worse than replacing the belt, rollers, or brake pads. I love that when it finally did need engine work, it didn't cost too much. I love that it was light enough to push a mile to the nearest gas station when I ran out of gas that one time. I love that it's carried me to work and back every day (weather permitting) for the past 5 years. And I love that it's taken me on some great camping trips all over the state.

Leelanau State park (tip of the pinky on a map of Michigan)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

My 68 SS180

Rarer than a GS MKI
Only SS 180 with round headlight
Only SS 180 with round tuna can tail light (took over a year to find!)
Last piston ported Vespa (some consider it the last true vintage Vespa...YMMMV)
At 50 mph it is just a perfect ride
At 5% premix has the proper volume of blue smoke
Restored to concourse condition.

"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL