which scoot to buy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ggs34

which scoot to buy?

Post by ggs34 »

i am looking at 2 scoots
sym citycom 300i new 1500 Eaby so far never rode one

aprilia scarbeo 200 2009 ebay 19hp 1500 rebuilt title 1575 200 miles on it

have rode this one it is a real great bike

what would you buy i have one sym dealer and 3 or for veaps dealer one aprilla deales in wi thanks for reading and your help as well
Syd

Post by Syd »

Just looking for a third scoot?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The Citycom. Very nice, reliable bike, fuel injected, holds 2.67 gallons gas vs. the Scarabeo's 2.11 gallons, cheaper to own and maintain.

Both have dual disc brakes and 16" wheels.

The Scarabeo has a rebuilt engine? Why? What was done (new top end, complete rebuild)? That's a red flag either way.

The Scarabeo 200 uses an Aprilia engine not found in any of the other Piaggio models in the US, which could be an issue for getting parts. This model is probably going to be discontinued soon, replaced by the newer 200ie or just pulled from the lineup. The US and Canada (I think) are the last places these are available.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I have heard good things about the Scarabeo 200. I believe Just Gotta Scoot has done reviews of both bikes. I am surprised that the asking price for the Sym is so low (unless that is the opening eBay price in an auction with a higher reserve). Seems like there may be more to that story. The US importer for Sym has had some problems, but they are generally a well built scooter. How do you intend to use this bike?
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

Dealer support is very important for most people. Eventually you are going to need some work done...parts, service, etc. It is a real hassle to have to haul a broken down bike and then communicate with a dealer that is far away. What would be important to me is the nearest, good dealer. Then pick the bike that they will service for you. The peace of mind alone is worth it. Of course I would likely buy the scooter from the dealer rather than Ebay myself....unless of course you are mechanical and can do all the work yourself...then it doesn't matter so much.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

if i read op's post correctly it looks as if it says "1500" for a new citycom? can that be so? if so, no brainer purchase imo

but it can't be so, can it? and even if not great bike i would choose it over a similar 200cc scoot. i think they're cool

Riding is riding
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

The Citycom is a great machine. Handles well. Light for its size. Engineering is underrated on the SYMs too. They're really solid bikes.

Never cared for the looks of the Scarabeo and Aprilia seems perpetually on the brink of leaving the US or folding all together.

If you've got a good SYM dealer or general scooter shop locally, the SYM would be my choice, personally. Unfortunately both brands suffer from a thin US dealer network, but I guess if these are for sale locally, the sellers had to get them somewhere nearby?
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
ggs34

lance pch 150

Post by ggs34 »

i am looking at a brand new lance pch 150 for a third scoot

any own one of these can yon get long life out of it i have heard that lance is doing a much better job now
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ggs34 wrote:i am looking at a brand new lance pch 150 for a third scoot
Hmmm. I understand that scooters like the CityCom 300 are in a different class - but, if you are considering the Lance, why aren't you taking a closer look at the Buddy?

Or to ask in a different way. You have a SportCity 250 and a Sym HD200. You are considering an Aprilia 'Beo 200 and a CityCom300. Now a Lance PCH 150. What are your requirements, and what are you trying to achieve.
ggs34

lance 150

Post by ggs34 »

I am looking for 12inch wheels 150min ccs
and my budget is low
looking for a nice back up ride
fun and different than my other scoots I have
good mph something a tall guy can fit on 34insesm 6ft2inch and goes 55 in wind
I had a buddy 150 loved the power just not the 10 inch wheels
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Kymco Super 8 150? Covers your bases pretty well.

MSRP is $2499 for the new style, might be able to get a good deal on any of last year's models with the split headlamp lens.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
skully93

Post by skully93 »

The sym gets rave reviews. I question why it's 1500, but if it's in good shape...

A 'rebuilt' scarabeo could be from a crash similar to mine where they salvaged it and replaced the plastics.

I'd want more info either way, but...you could come out on top with either if they're in good shape.
ferg52

Post by ferg52 »

That Sym 300 just went for $1950 on ebay. Pretty good deal. If I lived anywhere near Texas I would have been bidding on that one.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

ferg52 wrote:That Sym 300 just went for $1950 on ebay. Pretty good deal. If I lived anywhere near Texas I would have been bidding on that one.
insanely good deal. the sort of deal where even if it needed a bit of work a buyer would not mind

OP so far as the PCH 150 i say its a go. i have heard nothing but positive things of Lance / Sym's other offerings with the same engine. the bump up to a 150 from a 125 will help with hills, top speed, passing, and headwinds

no need to doubt it. its a budget scoot with a two year warranty and well enough backed. my Buddy is small for me, too. i love it but it is a small scooter. when i ride my Agility it is noticeably taller, bigger seat, more foot room. does it make it more comfy? idk? but it does make a difference in those areas. it is a bigger scooter

i like what Lance is doing with the PCH and would choose one over an Agility these days in 150 form. if Kymco ever decides to bring the AgilityRS over, different story. but until then i like the PCH 125 / 150 scoots for a quality, low cost scooter
Riding is riding