scooter title help

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ggs34

scooter title help

Post by ggs34 »

has any one bought a scooter with a texas title of Vehicle Title:
Rebuilt, Rebuildable & Reconstructed is this the same as salavge car doe it lower the scooters value and how do you know what price to pay
i emailed the seller he bought it from a insurance co he does not know what its bike history is

the bike for sale is a aprilia 2009 scarabeo 200 for $1500
he said he took it to a dealer and the bike is in perfect sahpe and has a safety inspetion sticker
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I would say it definitely lowers the resale value, but so long as it checks out (safety, mechanically & legally) I would not scratch it off my list of a scooter to buy...just make sure the price is right.

When I had an accident on my orange 2009 Buddy 125 (it was only 4 months old, and a woman pulled out in the road in front of me, then stopped in the drizzle....I didn't have any way to avoid her, and when I braked I went down and slid in to her SUV), I bought my totalled scooter back from the insurance company for ~ $500 if I recall, then put another ~$500 back in to fix it up. That was at around 1,500 miles and I believe it has ~ 6,000 miles on it now.

No way could I sell it for the price of an undamaged scooter, even though it still rides like one. Since the title indicates it's salvaged, I would probably be extremely lucky to get $1,500 out of it even with all the extras I've put on....and that might be wishful thinking on my part. :(

Undamaged, mine might go for $1,800 to $2,000.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Again, this is 'opinion only', no practical exp, but all 3 major scoot retailers in town have told me the 'smaller' 'Beo's are a different, less quality animal. Not that they are some cheap nonsense, they just aren't pure Aprillia love.

So if you plan to get one with a salvage title and ride the wheels off it is probably an OK deal, but I wouldn't count on buying low and selling high, YMMV.
ggs34

title

Post by ggs34 »

i have drove one of this scarbeo 200 there are real nice lots of power for under 200cc 19hp my dealer has never had a problem with them they last a long time

with that said is 1500 to much for a used aprilia with a retail value of 1999 from kelly blue book seem to high in price dosnt to a scoot with a wierd title?
skipper20

Re: scooter title help

Post by skipper20 »

ggs34 wrote:has any one bought a scooter with a texas title of Vehicle Title:
Rebuilt, Rebuildable & Reconstructed is this the same as salavge car doe it lower the scooters value and how do you know what price to pay
i emailed the seller he bought it from a insurance co he does not know what its bike history is

the bike for sale is a aprilia 2009 scarabeo 200 for $1500
he said he took it to a dealer and the bike is in perfect sahpe and has a safety inspetion sticker
As long as the VIN on the title matches the VIN on the scooter and it is, in fact, "in perfect shape" based on your own personal inspection, $1500 is very reasonable. I owned a '09 Scarabeo 200 for about a year, sold it to one of my sons and he's still riding it. I liked it, he likes it and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Last time I looked, KBB suggested retail was around $1800-$1900 so $1500 is a bargain. Go for it!

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
'08 250ie Sport City
skully93

Post by skully93 »

If it's got no title you may still have some bargaining room too.

Glad to hear that some folks have had good experiences with them. Perhaps the local shops were saying the 50/150 models were nonsense.

My 500ie has performed well with nary a complaint!
ggs34

rebuilt title

Post by ggs34 »

is there any rule of thumb how do you know what a rebuilt scooter or motorcycle is worth when it is has a salavage or rebuilt repaired dmv title
Syd

Post by Syd »

There's no way to know real value without seeing and testing the scoot. And knowing exactly and truthfully how it got its Salvage title. Sure it could have been dropped rolling it in the garage. But it might have been dumped in the Rio Grande too, and that water is working its way through the electrics.
The majority is always sane - Nessus