Problems with Clutch Cable

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

smillerlou

Problems with Clutch Cable

Post by smillerlou »

Hi Everyone,
I have a Stella 4T 2012 which I got in May of this year. about 2 months ago I was having issues shifting gears (at around 1400 miles). I took it to scooterworks and they said the clutch cable was being abused and they fixed the issue. After that I was trying to be much more careful when shifting gears, but about 2 weeks later the same issue started happening again. I'm going to try to fix the clutch cable myself this time.

But I'm just worried I'm doing something to cause this problem. I'm not sure how because all I do is pull the clutch and then shift gears like I think you are suppose to. Anyone know why the clutch cable would keep getting loose like this?
Stilts

Re: Problems with Clutch Cable

Post by Stilts »

smillerlou wrote:Hi Everyone,
I have a Stella 4T 2012 which I got in May of this year. about 2 months ago I was having issues shifting gears (at around 1400 miles). I took it to scooterworks and they said the clutch cable was being abused and they fixed the issue. After that I was trying to be much more careful when shifting gears, but about 2 weeks later the same issue started happening again. I'm going to try to fix the clutch cable myself this time.

But I'm just worried I'm doing something to cause this problem. I'm not sure how because all I do is pull the clutch and then shift gears like I think you are suppose to. Anyone know why the clutch cable would keep getting loose like this?
It's possible that the cable was too tight to start, but that usually leads to quick snapping rather than regular loosening. If the cable is properly installed, I've never heard of it being "abused."

Does it just feel loose? Is there a lot of play in the lever before it starts to engage the clutch?
SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

"Abused"?

Not sure if that means by your doing or by sone irregularity within the housing tube. I run my Stella to the limits shifting up and down. I've gone through a few cables but have never been told I was abusing them. Simply came to the conclusion that with regular use a cable is only gonna last about 6 mos. Cables will stretch a bit over time and need adjusting as a result of regular use.

Scoot on and stay in tune with your Stella.

**edited**
I have about 1/2 inch of play in my lever and it has no effect on my ability to shift.
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
smillerlou

Post by smillerlou »

it kind of sounded like they were inferring I was doing something to "abuse" the cable. Not a big deal. It's a good idea for me to figure out how to do basic maintenance for myself anyways.

the problem I'm having is when I pull the clutch, it is really loose and I can't even turn the grip to change gears. And when I'm in first and have the clutch all the way in, my scooter creeps forward. Pretty scary when I'm at a red light! So yeah it has to be the cable I'm thinking. I'm waiting for my tools to arrive so I can fix myself. Hopefully I don't mess anything up!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Sounds like typical and expected cable stretch. You snug up the cable at the slack adjuster, that should do it. This isn't from "abuse" it is normal.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
viney266

Post by viney266 »

adjust it properly, if you continue to have an issue, just put a new cable inner on . They are a wearable item. Make sure you get the pinch bolt tight on the cable.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
smillerlou

Post by smillerlou »

so yeah I just checked the cable and it's hanging by 2 little threads. I'm going to have to replace the cable.

Anyone have any suggestions on raising up a scooter in a garage if you don't have a lift or jack? It's pretty hard to get at that cable lying on the ground.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

smillerlou wrote:so yeah I just checked the cable and it's hanging by 2 little threads. I'm going to have to replace the cable.

Anyone have any suggestions on raising up a scooter in a garage if you don't have a lift or jack? It's pretty hard to get at that cable lying on the ground.
For a clutch cable I don't bother with it but pieces of 2 x 4 under the center stand will raise it up.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

it's hanging by 2 little threads
So the first cable went after only 1,400 miles and now this one went even sooner. So - don't reuse the pinch bolt that's on there now because it's possible/ probable that it's the problem is due to the small brass crush bushing being missing and so the person who torqued up the pinch stressed/severed the cable strands.

Get a new pinch bolt with a new crush bushing so you don't repeat doing that. When you insert the cable, make sure the bushing is between the cable and the bolt so the bolt doesn't contact the cable directly and sever strands when it's torqued down. The bushing is very small, it's easy to miss or loose it.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

These little beauts are a nice thing to have. Go splitsies with a friend and make the quantity/price better. Better still, go splitsies with five friends:

http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_page ... able-/9096
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I haven't seen those before...thanks AZ.

Scooterwest is where I usually get my outers from. They have the proper length for most models so no cutting needed.
www.teamscootertrash.com

smillerlou

Post by smillerlou »

fisher1, thanks for the info on the pinch bolt. I took it off and managed to lose the small brass crush bushing just like you said. So I found a new pinch bolt here http://www.scooterworks.com/pinchbolt-- ... r9S8vRDt8E

but I don't know if this comes with a crush bushing or where to find one. Do you have a link where I can buy one on line? Thanks!

Steve
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

Here's a link of the Pinch-bolt from where I get my parts from. They have about anything you'd need & some neat T shirts.

http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-P ... its/153198

I THINK that's where I got the one's I use rather than at a swap meet, or some other place. Maybe you should call to verify that they come with the bushing - regardless of where you order them. Our luck would be that some suppliers are cutting costs and shipping them to dealers w/o bushings.

But when you get a spare cable, always get some of these as well and snug them temporarily on the cable so you know where they are ...... then lube the cable, stick the whole set in a zip-lock baggie to keep it clean and stuff it all in the glove-box. If a cable breaks, odds are the old pinch-bolt will be laying down the road somewhere.

When you replace the cable, make sure you have some play at the hand lever so there's no constant stress on the cable and make sure you can see the cable's barrel pivot in the lever's hole when the lever is pulled so the cable isn't forced to constantly bend right there - and break.
smillerlou

Post by smillerlou »

so I ordered them from scooter works (part# 153198). I called before hand and yes they do come with the crush bushings. Thanks for all your help!
smillerlou

Post by smillerlou »

update

I replaced the clutch cable which wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. The cable started to fray as soon as I used the fourth hand tool. I think I was doing something wrong(I'm going to replace the cable again once I know I've got it figured out). Anyways after a few tries I was able to tighten the pinch bolt tight enough where it would stay when I pulled the clutch.

So I started it up and when I put it into 1st and slowly release the clutch the scooter doesn't start to move until the clutch is almost completely released. Does this mean the cable isn't tight enough or too tight?
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

So I started it up and when I put it into 1st and slowly release the clutch the scooter doesn't start to move until the clutch is almost completely released. Does this mean the cable isn't tight enough or too tight?
It means it isn't tight enough, the inner cable is too loose. But not to worry. Just screw out the adjuster that is threaded into the the boss right in front of the pinch bolt; doing so will in effect make the cable's outer sleeve longer, which makes the inner cable tighter.

Be sure to loosen/retighten the lock nut at the adjustor so it holds the setting you give it. Later on, if the cable stretches, you might need to screw out the adjuster a little bit more. When you put a new cable on, it's best to have the adjuster screwed back in, or maybe out just 1 turn; and remember to secure the lock nut.