Hooligan 170i

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

toadold

Sigh was thinking about a Honda GROM and others

Post by toadold »

It like comparing apples and oranges but I was looking at a Honda GROM as cheap transportation and also as my only transport. However While the parts are cheap and you don't have to pull off a lot for standard maintenance the front forks on the GROM turned me off. I'm a fat old man and ath the least I would need to put in thinker fork oil. On the GROM you have to take the forks off the and use special tools to take it apart and you also need a bench vise. I don't have that in my apartment. I was also looking looking at a Piaggio FLY 150 3V but when you have to get at the valve cover it can get kind of tricky also I'm kind of upset that they don't have the rear disk brake that the European version has. The Hooligon on the other hand has the same size of tires an the GR0M has, fuel injection, rear disk brake, and better cargo capacity, plus more HP to move my fat ass to the gym. If the front shocks on the Hooligan woill support me or are reasonable to work on I'd drather pay the higher price for it vs. the GROM and the Fly :?:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Not knowing your weight I would still think that the Hooligan would be a good choice for you. Best thing to do is to test ride it first. My Buddy 170i is my favorite ride. If I had known that the Hooligan was coming I might have waited for it. :wink:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

And here are the first official pics of the U.S model!!
Attachments
hooligan.jpg
hooligan.jpg (141.71 KiB) Viewed 2896 times
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Thanks for the pictures Alex!

What's that under the headlight? Radar?

Cheers - Disc both rear and brake.

Jeers- seat - WHY ? Many of us prefer flat seats.

Disappointed - I preferred the X-hot. Something about this looks a little quite meh.... It must be the color, the handlebars, and the seat.

Don't get me wrong... I think this is a move in the right direction.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
toadold

Post by toadold »

I'm just guessing but I think they put the narrow seat on because it looks like the seat iis a bit high with those 12 inch tires and thicker floor board. So I'm guessing they narrowed the seat to make it easier for a short inseam rider to flat foot it at a stop :?:
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

I was hoping for an exposed handlebar. Still, i'll save judgement till I can see one in person.
RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

I love the way it looks! Can't wait for them to hit the dealers~
TVB

Post by TVB »

RoaringTodd wrote:What's that under the headlight? Radar?
"High-beam" headlight, I'd guess.
Whimscootie

I am in scooter lust...again!

Post by Whimscootie »

Perfect. Fat, 12 inch tires, dual disks, 170I, love that Army green...

Yep. I'd definitely want one of those...

Beyond "wanting"...into "must have"...

Cool!

8)
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
toadold

Wanting and Having

Post by toadold »

The story of my life

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wtYGZt7aI4

Spotted a used Buddy 170i at Moxie dealership websitem in Arlington, Texas. Almost called them but remembered that I need to get my eyes fixed before I get in a four wheeler let alone on a scooter in the traffic with the local maniacs.....sigh. Wait for Spring when the Hooligan comes out and I can check for fit. :(
Alexbv200
Dealer

Re: Wanting and Having

Post by Alexbv200 »

toadold wrote:The story of my life

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wtYGZt7aI4

Spotted a used Buddy 170i at Moxie dealership websitem in Arlington, Texas. Almost called them but remembered that I need to get my eyes fixed before I get in a four wheeler let alone on a scooter in the traffic with the local maniacs.....sigh. Wait for Spring when the Hooligan comes out and I can check for fit. :(
I can also help you with you want... ;)
Am at Vespa Dallas...
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Toadold, when do you have that surgery scheduled. I am having both eyes done next month, my right eye is just about shot, left eye is a bit better. I can ride ok but i dont drive at night. Once you get it done you will be back to your old self.
Remember, Spring is just around the corner. :wink:
toadold

Post by toadold »

Initial visit is January 8th, then who knows when I'll can get my surgery. It is a bit nasty for me because I've got a "hard" cataract. I had to have a Sonogram for that eye before I could get the appointment for the Doc that does "hard" cataract removals. I hope my astigmatism in that eye can be corrected with a toric lens so I can have good distance vision with my dominant eye. I want to be able to spot the possible pop out drivers from as far as possible.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

My better eye is done on the 9th, and my astigmatism will be treated with that lens. The following week the other eye, the one that is really giving me trouble will be done. Fortunately neither are "hard" cataracts. Cataract surgery has advanced greatly from the old days so you should be up and running the day after each surgery. I know that I am eager to get back to riding. :clap: :clap:
skully93

Post by skully93 »

RoaringTodd wrote:

The seat looks like it would irritate me. It certainly did on my Zuma.

The looks are fun. I quote a friend of mine as saying "It looks like something Robocop would ride if he was a pussy."
toadold

Post by toadold »

I can't tell for sure from the photograph but it looks like they may have increased the protection for the oil cooler/oil filter unit of the 170i engine :?:
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

Hmm... I definitely preferred the exposed handlebars and the dual-sport-ish front fender on the PGO. The DOT indicators don't look completely terrible though.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I agree with jrstone. :wink:
toadold

Post by toadold »

Well I read that the Hooligan is going to be released ln April or 2014. Of course l read that on the Internet and it was supposedly from a California dealer. So it could show up on the West Coast and kind of ooze its way into the rest of the country. :?:
toadold

Post by toadold »

Correction April of 2014.
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

toadold wrote:Well I read that the Hooligan is going to be released ln April or 2014. Of course l read that on the Internet and it was supposedly from a California dealer. So it could show up on the West Coast and kind of ooze its way into the rest of the country. :?:

No he is correct....
Am a Dallas dealer and i can confirm that the Hooligans are scheduled to be be released nationwide in April 2014.
Mcanaves

Post by Mcanaves »

I'm really excited for this. The seat doesn't bother me so much; un fact, probably better for the occasional passenger I bring along. I also am more of a fan of the handlebars set up here than with the X-Hot. The indicators are fine, nothing we can do about it anyways :roll:

However, overall, as much as I LOVE the look of it, it almost seems a bit too much, almost too plastic and cheesy. Trying to decide if I like the look of the buddy better still.

Those 12 inch wheels have me sold though. This is exactly what I needed, performance wise. If I can get a payment plan going, I'm likely trading up from my 125.
toadold

Post by toadold »

I'm a tad concerned about how much body work you have to pull off to get access to the oil filter, oil drain plug, air filter, and spark plug.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I prefer the more classic look of the Buddy. But that's just me; it's still nice to see Genuine come out with something new. I do like the Army Green color though; very nice.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
ggs34

holigan

Post by ggs34 »

if it is going to be anything like the kymco agility 125 body and frame it will be a great bike my son has one nice seat height lots of leg room nice but not much power
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

skully93 wrote:
RoaringTodd wrote:

The seat looks like it would irritate me. It certainly did on my Zuma.

The looks are fun. I quote a friend of mine as saying "It looks like something Robocop would ride if he was a pussy."

Interesting to read your comments on the Zuma seat. That was the big turn-off for me on the Zuma - a hard, high up seat. I am loving my low profile Psycho seat.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
ggs34

holgian

Post by ggs34 »

it is not on a zuma it is a kymco agility and it is not the seat is a little hard but i like the seat height and handle bar height just so you know

is this going to be a faster bike say for example the aprilia scarabeo 200 or the sym hd 200?

why do we in the usa get all the lousy color black white gray green
and over seas the get some nice colors yellow red blue burgandy
toadold

Post by toadold »

A Hooligan with the 170i furel injected engine will be faster than a 125 anything.
Syd

Re: holgian

Post by Syd »

ggs34 wrote:it is not on a zuma it is a kymco agility and it is not the seat is a little hard but i like the seat height and handle bar height just so you know

is this going to be a faster bike say for example the aprilia scarabeo 200 or the sym hd 200?

why do we in the usa get all the lousy color black white gray green
and over seas the get some nice colors yellow red blue burgandy
No.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Triple Dog Dare

Post by jrsjr »

I triple dog dare one of you to ride a Hooligan in the 2014 Cannonball!

ggs34

holgian

Post by ggs34 »

does any one have specs on the pgo as far as seat height and are the wheels going to be 12 inch? any idea

why ugly green and black why does the usa get the bad colors
ggs34

hoolgian

Post by ggs34 »

when is genuine going to up date there site for this scooter any ideas?
Alexbv200
Dealer

Re: hoolgian

Post by Alexbv200 »

ggs34 wrote:when is genuine going to up date there site for this scooter any ideas?
Probably not until closer to launch which is around April.

I'll look for the seat height, but am guessing it will be taller than the Buddy; maybe like the Rough House.
It will definitely have 12" wheels and tires.
ggs34

hoolgan

Post by ggs34 »

my dealer in wi said his scooters(genuine hoolgan 170i)
are coming in march not sure if this is normal for everyone but he has 20 of them coming in he expects this to be his best selling scooter to date he all ready has 3 or 4 of them sold just for your fyi
ggs34

holigan 170i

Post by ggs34 »

so when do they arrive in the usa?
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

They should have imported this sooner. Rear disk is solid. Now for the 270cc cruiser.............I'm waiting.............
Alexbv200
Dealer

Re: holigan 170i

Post by Alexbv200 »

ggs34 wrote:so when do they arrive in the usa?
Release should be sometimes in June.
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

That's a fine looking bike, and if it were out when I bought my Buddy I might have gave it equal thought. That as it may be, I'd not trade my Buddy 170i. I'm all man, so my wife tells me rather convincingly at times, and I love riding it. I call it Belle, so it's a she...

I expect to see these on the road. They look nice.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

KrispyKreme wrote:Now for the 270cc cruiser.............I'm waiting.............
Unless you're 12 or under, you are already too old. :wink:
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Dooglas wrote:
KrispyKreme wrote:Now for the 270cc cruiser.............I'm waiting.............
Unless you're 12 or under, you are already too old. :wink:
The cruiser is akin to an urban legend. :)
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Sadly you are right. Does not seem to be in Genuines plans at the present time. :(
Syd

Post by Syd »

Wolfhound wrote:Sadly you are right. Does not seem to be in Genuines plans at the present time. :(
Neither was the Hooligan, until recently. I take the Holligan's arrival as a good sign, a test of America's taste for things new.

I believe!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Good point!!! I would go for the Cruiser in a heart beat and use it as a tug for my sidecar. With Genuines reputation and TGBs quality manufacturing
it would be a big winner here in the states. :wink:
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Syd wrote:
Wolfhound wrote:Sadly you are right. Does not seem to be in Genuines plans at the present time. :(
Neither was the Hooligan, until recently. I take the Holligan's arrival as a good sign, a test of America's taste for things new.

I believe!
Well, the Hooligan was already in the PGO line-up. They don't have any "big" scooters that I know of.(I do realize they have the Blur220i)
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

KrispyKreme wrote:Well, the Hooligan was already in the PGO line-up. They don't have any "big" scooters that I know of.(I do realize they have the Blur220i)
Exactly right - and precisely why we won't see a 270cc cruiser from Genuine/PGO any time soon.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Dooglas wrote:
KrispyKreme wrote:Well, the Hooligan was already in the PGO line-up. They don't have any "big" scooters that I know of.(I do realize they have the Blur220i)
Exactly right - and precisely why we won't see a 270cc cruiser from Genuine/PGO any time soon.
Who said that Genuine is limited to selling scooters made by PGO? You're aware that the Stella is made by LML in India, right? I don't have any inside information (to say the least) but I wouldn't be surprised if the folks at Genuine are thinking outside the PGO box. Phil was certainly capable of thinking outside the box, he was famous for it. :wink:
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

jrsjr wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
Who said that Genuine is limited to selling scooters made by PGO? You're aware that the Stella is made by LML in India, right? I don't have any inside information (to say the least) but I wouldn't be surprised if the folks at Genuine are thinking outside the PGO box. Phil was certainly capable of thinking outside the box, he was famous for it. :wink:

I'm very aware LML makes Stellas. I'm just not sure the developmental capabilities of Genuine is up to the task. It would be a substantial risk, and of course, I would welcome it. :)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

KrispyKreme wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
Dooglas wrote: Exactly right - and precisely why we won't see a 270cc cruiser from Genuine/PGO any time soon.

I'm very aware LML makes Stellas. I'm just not sure the developmental capabilities of Genuine is up to the task. It would be a substantial risk, and of course, I would welcome it. :)
Again, since Genuine already sell scooters made by two different mfgs, I don't see why they couldn't add a scooter made by a third mfg without having to spend a lot of money developing a totally new scooter. KnowwhatImean?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

KrispyKreme wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
Dooglas wrote: Exactly right - and precisely why we won't see a 270cc cruiser from Genuine/PGO any time soon.

Again, since Genuine already sell scooters made by two different mfgs, I don't see why they couldn't add a scooter made by a third mfg without having to spend a lot of money developing a totally new scooter themselves. KnowwhatImean?
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

jrsjr wrote:
KrispyKreme wrote:
jrsjr wrote: Who said that Genuine is limited to selling scooters made by PGO? You're aware that the Stella is made by LML in India, right? I don't have any inside information (to say the least) but I wouldn't be surprised if the folks at Genuine are thinking outside the PGO box. Phil was certainly capable of thinking outside the box, he was famous for it. :wink:

Again, since Genuine already sell scooters made by two different mfgs, I don't see why they couldn't add a scooter made by a third mfg without having to spend a lot of money developing a totally new scooter themselves. KnowwhatImean?
I do see that, and I heard a rumor a bit back that it would have a SYM engine, but they can't import a Citycom, right? Again, I am pulling for Genuine. So I guess the question is, "Who does Genuine play ball with?".