Thanks, Canada.

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dkw12002

Thanks, Canada.

Post by dkw12002 »

Terrible weather. Cold, rain, and wind. Doesn't get much worse than this here in South Central Texas. Oh, well, there's occasional ice, but not so far this winter. I am getting antsy though. Took the R50 and my other bikes out on Sun. afternoon (48 F) just to keep the batteries fully charged and get the juices flowing, but it was too cold to enjoy. We are due for sunny weather in the high 60s though by the weekend. Should be perfect riding conditions Saturday. Thanks Canada. A disaster of this magnitude has to be somebody's fault. Anybody able to ride?
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

No riding for me. We have had a lond cold stretch with temperatures in the mid 20s or less, and about four days with 15 degrees in the morning. It is warming up a bit now so we are supposed to get snow. Bummer.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Too cold to ride here as well:

This Afternoon Sunny, with a high near 65. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph.
New Year's Day Sunny, with a high near 63. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming west in the afternoon.
Thursday Mostly sunny, with a high near 66. East wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the morning.
Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 65.
Saturday Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 69.
Sunday Sunny, with a high near 68.
Monday Sunny, with a high near 65.

Can't wait til we get back to the 70's. 8)
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

here in eastern Washington we have nice soggy yards, patches of black ice and what i like to call mini glaciers lining the roads. keeping steady at 31 degrees.

no riding here.
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

Lotrat wrote:Too cold to ride here as well:

This Afternoon Sunny, with a high near 65. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph.
New Year's Day Sunny, with a high near 63. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming west in the afternoon.
Thursday Mostly sunny, with a high near 66. East wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the morning.
Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 65.
Saturday Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 69.
Sunday Sunny, with a high near 68.
Monday Sunny, with a high near 65.

Can't wait til we get back to the 70's. 8)
You certainly have Las Vegas beat.

We have a couple of months before we see 70's.

When those temps roll in the Aprilia rips!
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Lotrat, you have a mean streak! I am envious. I grew up in California and remember a lot of nice winter weather.

North of Seattle here it is low 40s and wet.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1980 Yamaha IT125
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

High of 64F today. I rode the R50 earlier and am about to go into San Antonio on the Ninja 300. Still a colder winter than usual, but I dress for it. Can't wear my leather cause I need layers. I wear 6 layers (2 shirts and 4 sweat shirts one of which is a hoodie) so I can wear the hood under my largest helmet. 64 may sound warm, but when you go 75 mph with a little wind, it gets cold.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

OldGuy wrote:Lotrat, you have a mean streak! I am envious. I grew up in California and remember a lot of nice winter weather.

North of Seattle here it is low 40s and wet.
I grew up in Chicago (source of mean streak) and have enjoyed every day of my 18 years in SoCal. My little brother lives up in Seattle. He's been there for 16 years and loves it. Too cold for me. Anywhere is better than the midwest in winter, but you can't beat San Diego weather. Headed for the desert next weekend for some 75+ degree riding. 8)
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

I lived in Rockford, Il for 8 years. Left in 1994. My coldest weather though was in Galena, AK. -60F and windy, but we would have days where the temp would just stay at -40F. Then I moved to Montana which had some cold winters too. After I retired in 2002, I decided I needed some place warm...and no state income tax... so I moved to Texas 11 years ago. Texas, Florida, California, and a few others are ideal for motorcycle/scooter riders it seems. I rode today already and am getting ready to go out again. High of 57F today, but it is sunny and not much wind.

One winter when I was in Galena, I went to a meeting in San Diego. Went from -20 and got off the plane in San Diego to 70F weather. My boss told me to stay a couple days extra, which I did after the meetings were over.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

I was just out in San Antonio a few weeks ago at the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort for a conference. Wish I had more time to check the area out. I need a plan B once California finally implodes. I was in Flagstaff the week before Christmas and got more than enough snow dumped on me. Just a reminder of how much I hate the stuff. Life is too short to shovel... I'm going for a ride.
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

I grew up in Marin County California. That Mediterranean climate was wonderful!

During 7 years in the Coast Guard I got to visit "fun" coastal cold places in Alaska like Ketchikan, Juneau, Kodiak, Dutch Harbor, and Adak. My last duty station was Seattle, where we stayed when I got out, partly because we knew trying to live in Marin would be to expensive.

Now, almost 34 years later, I still think we made a good choice. But I sure do miss Marin and that nice weather. A recent business trip to San Jose just helped to highlight that for me!
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1980 Yamaha IT125
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

doing my coldest ride yet today.
gf had a family emergency and took the car.

it's 20 degrees out, nice and sunny, about a 13 mph crosswind.

wish me luck.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

theemptythrone wrote:doing my coldest ride yet today.
gf had a family emergency and took the car.

it's 20 degrees out, nice and sunny, about a 13 mph crosswind.

wish me luck.
How did it go?

I remember buying my first motorcycle back in the early 90's. It was a 78 Yamaha XS650 Special. I rode it from 42nd and Halsted back to Elmwood Park with no gloves, no helmet, no glasses, at night, no license, no experience on a motorcycle, and it was 20 degrees out. Good times.
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

pretty well, the sun was out, so it seemed warmer then it was, and i have pretty good snow gear.

no riding for awhile though., we got some snow on Tuesdays, its all starting to melt/freeze, so now its a slushy ice field out there.

i don't mind though cause just ordered a whole buncha stuff for my scoot., and it will give time to put them on,and repaint my exhaust.