lane-splitting

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

deserthealer

lane-splitting

Post by deserthealer »

i'm getting my Buddy next week. i've heard of lane-spliting to get to the front of the light but want to know if it is:
1.safe
2.legal
3.if 1&2 are workable than what's the best way?

thanks!
scarabmonkey

Post by scarabmonkey »

NOT legal in AZ...found that out when Officer Martinez gave me a long lecture about safety in lieu of giving me a ticket (thanks occifer) and then looked up the laws in AZ.

I do know in many states it is legal but any accident (i.e.-someone changing lanes in front of you) is an automatic fault (yours). Haven't done alot of studying on this subject though since it is not legal here, but I am sure every state is different. I know some (CA for sure) require that the surrounding traffic is going below a certain speed and your speed is I believe no more than 15mph above surrounding traffic. (how this is measured, I don't know)

hope that helps and others have input on this as well.
tam

Post by tam »

Here's a link to the AZ laws for Motorcycles:

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws ... p?state=AZ

They also have a listing for every other state. Not sure how up to date it is, but it should give a good enough idea. It'll also tell you if turnsignals are mandatory etc

As for lanesplitting, it's not particularly safe, and in AZ it is indeed illegal:

28-903. Operation of motorcycle on laned roadway; exceptions B. The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken. C. A person shall not operate a motorcycle between the lanes of traffic or between adjacent rows of vehicles.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

It's illegal in Ohio, and I wouldn't consider it safe anywhere. :wink:
Huh? What just happened?
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Sadly, for most US two-wheelers, lane-splitting is only legal (expected, even) in CA. It is a great time saver, and I would encourage you to speak with your legislators about legalizing it in your state.

Moving through a pack of stationary cars is very liberating!

And it is safe when done at the right time- i.e., when cars are barely moving. If the cars aren't moving, then they will not be changing lanes, so you can sail on by. It's becomes less-safe as the speed of the cars increases (increasing the chance unannounced lane changes). My comfort level is such that if the cars are moving more than 20mph I will not split, but there are some crazy folks that split regardless of speed.
deserthealer

Post by deserthealer »

I'm only interested in non-moving situations. Is this done regularly by 2-wheelers?
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

I couldn’t believe splitting was legal when I lived in CA 20 yrs ago. Many times they snuck up on me going 35-40 mph on the slow moving freeway. I don’t think it promoted goodwill btwn cyclists and cars tho.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

deserthealer wrote:I'm only interested in non-moving situations. Is this done regularly by 2-wheelers?
Yes, but be prepared to get a ticket.
Also, in states other than CA drivers are even less likely to be on the lookout for lane splitters than they are here, which also makes it that much more dangerous.

I'm a fairly cautious splitter, doing it only at red lights or when traffic is at a standstill. Even then I've twice bumped my rearview mirror against that of a truck or SUV's. Fuh, lane hogs!
Many drivers here are actually considerate enough to pull over a bit to give me room. They seem somewhat more accomodating of a polite scooter rider (that's me!) than the sportbike guys who zip around and between cars anywhere there's room.
Proper lane splitting is even encouraged (to some degree) here as a way of alleviating traffic congestion.
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

Legal or not you are risking injury from irritated cagers.
Ever been told not to "cut" in line?
Same deal.

What's you hurry that you need to try to sneek infront of very heavy vehicles that can go faster than you can?

Lay back and live.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

Lane splitting is illegal in PA.

And I don't think it's safe at all. People aren't expecting you to be there, so they won't be looking for you there.

Bottom line: If you wouldn't do it in a car, don't do it in a scooter.
Not really from Iceland.
Motorsport Scooters
Dealer

Post by Motorsport Scooters »

I lane split all the time. I consider it one of the benefits of riding a two wheeler. Most people will actually move to the other side of the lane to make room for you here in Southern California. We have lots of carpool lanes here that are pretty wide and have a gap between the fast lane and the carpool lane. I consider this the motorcycle lane. I still don't consider it safe, but niether is riding a two-wheeler in Southern California, and I'm going to keep doing both.
I've experienced a few people get very angry with me for doing it. I don't understand their anger. I'm not in their way and I haven't inconvenienced them in any way. I understand the don't cut in line theory. I always laugh at the people standing in line for southwest airlines an hour for the flight so they can arrive 8 feet ahead of everyone else. This mentality is futile in my opinion. Anyway... back to my story. I can usually talk my way out of a fight by explaining to them how tough they are for picking on a scrawny kid riding a scooter. Or if it gets bad, I can just zoom off.
I'm going to keep on keepin on.
I would only recommend it if you feel your scooter will be able to get out of it's own way at the head of the line. You will not make any friends cutting people off and then holding them up.
Max
Vespa Motorsport
619-280-1718
http://www.scooterwest.com/
#1 source for all things Vespa
xkennx

Post by xkennx »

After riding a scooter a while, you will learn you don’t want to be ahead of the cars at a red-light. (Scooters and many motorcycles do not have the weight to turn off the sensors)

This also goes with turning lanes, don’t ever pull into the lane and give it a lot of gas because you can always have that guy that forgot to turn and does it at the last min.

I admit im one of those "do what I say, don’t do what I do" kinda people but we are all adults here, so if you think its dangerous, then it is and unless your willing to take the responsibility then don’t do it.
06 Gen Scooters Buddy 125 (sold)
05 Gen Scooters Stella w/sidecar (sold)
05 Vespa ET8
80 Vespa P200 w/ Polini 208
80 Vespa P200 w/ Malossi 210
74 Vespa Sprint 125
74 Vespa Primaveria 125 (broke)
56 Labretta LD 125 (sold)
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

xkennx wrote:After riding a scooter a while, you will learn you don’t want to be ahead of the cars at a red-light. (Scooters and many motorcycles do not have the weight to turn off the sensors)
Another plus is that if you are sitting between two cars, it is improbable that someone chatting on their cellphone will rear-end you and then cry "I never saw them"!
Javarod

Post by Javarod »

I've seen it done on the California freeways, and it just leaves me shaking my head, it doesn't look at all safe, and I certainly wouldn't be caught live doing it (I'd say I wouldn't be caught dead, but I'm afraid that's exactly what would happen).
Javarod
G! Buckleshoe