PIP Ripoff

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

shark

PIP Ripoff

Post by shark »

Sorry to get on another insurance rant but.....

I was online looking at my Progressive policy and was playing with the change coverage function. I removed PIP and my Texas policy dropped by almost 200.00yr!! :shock:

For a crappy 2500.00 payout they charge almost 200.oo yr.... It is not manditory in TX. If you have health coverage and short term disablity(or good sized sick bank) dont take this rip off option if your state does not require it......

get's off soap box..... 8)
louie

Post by louie »

didn't
FLMINI1048

Post by FLMINI1048 »

If that's what it costs when it's optional, you can only imagine what it costs when you don't have a choice! PIP is mandatory here in FL....but not for motorcycles or scooters, only vehicles with 4 wheels or more. Heck, no insurance is required for motorcycles/scooters....not even liability.
Have a great day!

Mike
tempalte

Post by tempalte »

I also have Progressive and PIP was just an extra $16/year on my policy. (In MO)

But your right. If you already good health insurance I don't see why you would need PIP.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

my progressive is $70 per year for $2500 for each person.

medical is also for anyone you might injure. so if you lose control and smack into oh say, a pedestrian, you have medical coverage to cover 'their' expenses. also, if your personal (work) insurance requires you to have deductibles or out-of-pocket expenses, this scooter medical coverage would kick in as secondary coverage and take care of those expenses up to the limit of coverage.
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
shark

Post by shark »

louie wrote:didn't
Did!!!
Have 2 scoots on there... I looked at the Buddys declarations page a few minutes ago.

2500 PIP= $129.00yr on just the Buddy...just crazy....The PIP was the most expensive part of the policy...

My Liability coverage covers medical for others I run over....I'm ok there.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

shark wrote:
louie wrote:didn't
Did!!!
Have 2 scoots on there... I looked at the Buddys declarations page a few minutes ago.

2500 PIP= $129.00yr on just the Buddy...just crazy....The PIP was the most expensive part of the policy...

My Liability coverage covers medical for others I run over....I'm ok there.
Down here it's the uninsured motorist coverage that is the killer cost.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

tempalte wrote:I also have Progressive and PIP was just an extra $16/year on my policy. (In MO)

But your right. If you already good health insurance I don't see why you would need PIP.
Check your health insurance closely, more and more insurers/employers are denying claims on injuries sustained during "extreme activities," which apparently includes commuting to work on a 125cc scooter. The AMA (not the American Medical Association, ha) is running a big campaign to increase awareness and fight insurers that won't cover motorcyclists.

But if your policy doesn't cover motorcycle accidents, PIP is a must, and you'd probably want a lot more than $2500 worth of coverage.

The AMA is $25 a year and you get a good magazine and it helps them lobby for motorcyclist rights, it's a worthwhile investment. On top of that, most insurers give you a discount for being an AMA member, and the AMA offers special deals on insurance with Nationwide, IIRC. So spending the $25 can actually SAVE you money.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Bethers

Post by Bethers »

I took extra coverage on all categories.

Unfortunately, accidents happen often with scooters and motorcycles - I find the price I'm paying a year well worth it for my peace of mind.
Beth