Installing a Soft Italia top case

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScooterReese

Installing a Soft Italia top case

Post by ScooterReese »

It's bad enough that Scooterworks provides no instructions at all on the rack for the top case but that one is pretty easy to figure out if you get underneath the grab rails and see the four holes to use for it.

However, the Soft Italia top case comes with a tiny illustration that doesn't address all of the hardware included and shows mounting brackets in a direction that physically doesn't work.

How do you go about mounting the plate to the rack? Soft Italia never responded to my inquiry and ScooterWorks was not able to find anything either.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

(Deleted previous spam post!)

Meanwhile, I don't see the case listed on Scooterworks. Do you have a link to it?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
angelamarie81

Soft Italia Topcase

Post by angelamarie81 »

I too just ordered the Soft Italia Top Case from Scooterworks. However, it isn't their fault the instructions are poorly written. There is a lot more hardware than the illustration shows.
Has anyone figured this one out yet?

I'm sure I can figure it out, but I'd like to do it right the first time, ya know?
I don't ride on the back ... I ride my own! :)
Angela
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I mounted one on a Buddy. Honestly I've done a bunch of top cases so I probably didn't read the instructions but as I remember it was pretty straight forward. Attach the mounting plate to the rack and the box to the mounting plate. They are universal so you need to figure out which holes in the mounting plate are going to work the best to secure to the rack.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

ericalm wrote:(Deleted previous spam post!)

Meanwhile, I don't see the case listed on Scooterworks. Do you have a link to it?
Here ya go

http://www.scooterworks.com/soft-italia ... uEmUbQo7IU

I mounted a seafoam and the color match was perfect.

They are actually a pretty good case for the price.

Here is the base
http://www.scooterworks.com/soft-italia ... uEml7Qo7IU

So looking at the photos it's coming back to me. The slots are where the bolts go down. Under the rack the "wavy" brackets fit into the rack cross pieces like a "W". This part can take a little playing around with to find the best spots and the best position.

Be sure to check that the box will not be too far forward. If using a backrest with it it might block the seat from lifting up. Once everything is in position bolt the brackets in place. I can't remember if they were nylocs but if not I would put a drop of blue loctite on each thread.

Take your time and you will get it no problem. Post some photos when done!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL